Top 30 International Prospects; July 2nd 2016

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
It really is. I wanted them to get one of the top ones. Hell the As are cheap but seemingly find a way to get a top one all the time.

Do you know that those top guys are better than Josue Guerrero though? Which of their games was your favorite?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 3m3 minutes ago View translation

#WhiteSox sign SS Lenin Sosa of Venezuela for $325K @MLBPipeline

FutureSox ‏@FutureSox 22m22 minutes ago

Henderson Caraballo was signed for $350k per @JesseSanchezMLB.

DPL ‏@DPLBaseball 2h2 hours ago

The @whitesox get a bunch of talent in Acosta, Mieses, Coma, Caraballo & Herrera!

The White Sox bonus pool is $2,937,500.00. Rick Hahn said that there are 9 signings. 1 large expenditure. I'm guessing Guerrero is the big one unless they are going over.

Guerrero- $1.1 million

Cosma- $450,000

Mieses- $428,000

Caraballo- $350,000

Sosa- $325,000

Currently have spent $2, 053, 000 of the $2, 937, 500 in the pool. This doesn't account for Acosta or Herrera whoever they are.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 3m3 minutes ago View translation

#WhiteSox sign SS Lenin Sosa of Venezuela for $325K @MLBPipeline

FutureSox ‏@FutureSox 22m22 minutes ago

Henderson Caraballo was signed for $350k per @JesseSanchezMLB.

DPL ‏@DPLBaseball 2h2 hours ago

The @whitesox get a bunch of talent in Acosta, Mieses, Coma, Caraballo & Herrera!

The White Sox bonus pool is $2,937,500.00. Rick Hahn said that there are 9 signings. 1 large expenditure. I'm guessing Guerrero is the big one unless they are going over.

Guerrero- $1.1 million

Cosma- $450,000

Mieses- $428,000

Caraballo- $350,000

Sosa- $325,000

Currently have spent $2, 053, 000 of the $2, 937, 500 in the pool. This doesn't account for Acosta or Herrera whoever they are.

Bienvenido Rojas ‏@bienvenidorv 4h4 hours ago

J2: White Sox firmó al PZ Héctor Rafael Acosta,por US$ 75 mil.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
They have done a solid job on the international market lately and have quietly had some really good drafts. I know it doesn't fit the narrative though.

Not sure how you say that's a narrative when it's so plainly observable in instances like these. They've had every opportunity to exploit the loopholes of the J2 system and they haven't. They had such an advantageous position this year and got outworked by the f***ing Padres, Braves, and Athletics. Sure, there are doing better now than before when they didn't sign anyone but none of these kids are blue chippers. When will they sack up and go after the Maitan's or Yadiel Alvarez's of the world?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Not sure how you say that's a narrative when it's so plainly observable in instances like these. They've had every opportunity to exploit the loopholes of the J2 system and they haven't. They had such an advantageous position this year and got outworked by the f***ing Padres, Braves, and Athletics. Sure, there are doing better now than before when they didn't sign anyone but none of these kids are blue chippers. When will they sack up and go after the Maitan's or Yadiel Alvarez's of the world?

Them not being blue chippers is a stretch. All of these kids are 16. We have no idea who is good and who isn't. You criticizing them for not going over is fair. They just haven't done it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)
It's funny the "low budget" A's are the ones who shelled out money (originally) for Cespedes, Michael Ynoa and now Lazarito.

Because it's cheaper to bet on these prospects than sign real players. Hence, the restrictions of the low budgets.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
It really is. I wanted them to get one of the top ones. Hell the As are cheap but seemingly find a way to get a top one all the time.

I'm sure you would like them to spend 1 billion on the MLB roster too. The last couple of years the have spent more than many teams and some of them are seeming to be progressing well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
Because it's cheaper to bet on these prospects than sign real players. Hence, the restrictions of the low budgets.

And they probably invest in some decent scouts so that they don't trade for players like James Shields, while cutting players like Junior Guerra, which could have financed a big overage.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm sure you would like them to spend 1 billion on the MLB roster too. The last couple of years the have spent more than many teams and some of them are seeming to be progressing well.

Oh please. I've never said that. I never pound the table for $200 million dollar players. You're just in an overreacting mode to my posts now.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
Oh please. I've never said that. I never pound the table for $200 million dollar players. You're just in an overreacting mode to my posts now.

No I'm not. I'm just commenting on your statement of "wanting to after the big ones" and them being too cheap. They have been spending right up to the limit the last few years and haven't been cheap which I think is the right way to go.

your're right though the 1 billion was a little over the top. :cheers

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
No I'm not. I'm just commenting on your statement of "wanting to after the big ones" and them being too cheap. They have been spending right up to the limit the last few years and haven't been cheap which I think is the right way to go.

your're right though the 1 billion was a little over the top. :cheers

I didn't really call them cheap. I called the As cheap. I know the Sox aren't cheap lol. Maybe it just seemed like I was inferring that but I honestly wasn't. I just wanted a big name young signee. Last one was Adolfo?

Edited by SouthSideSale

So with only 20 teams eligible to compete for the pedigree talent in the top 30 list this year, the Chicago White Sox were unable to sign anyone of those 30 players? Not one? With no competition from the likes of the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs and the Giants this year, the Sox still walked away with none of the premium talent available? I mean, that's insane. It's almost bordering on reckless negligence from this increasingly obvious incompetent front office.

The Sox continue to display an unwillingness/inability to compete for premium talent, be it either in the international market, or free agent market, as we painfully witnessed last offseason. It would be one thing if that approach somehow managed to render sustainable winning results for the Major League ball club. It hasn't as we all know, not by a long shot. Unless there is a seismic shift in this losing strategy at some point, the brand of baseball we've witnessed for the past decade on the South Side will continue to repeat itself over and over and over again.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:44 AM)
So with only 20 teams eligible to compete for the pedigree talent in the top 30 list this year, the Chicago White Sox were unable to sign anyone of those 30 players? Not one? With no competition from the likes of the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs and the Giants this year, the Sox still walked away with none of the premium talent available? I mean, that's insane. It's almost bordering on reckless negligence from this increasingly obvious incompetent front office.

The Sox continue to display an unwillingness/inability to compete for premium talent, be it either in the international market, or free agent market, as we painfully witnessed last offseason. It would be one thing if that approach somehow managed to render sustainable winning results for the Major League ball club. It hasn't as we all know, not by a long shot. Unless there is a seismic shift in this losing strategy at some point, the brand of baseball we've witnessed for the past decade on the South Side will continue to repeat itself over and over and over again.

Which of the top 30 would you have signed?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
That's irrelevant. The topic at hand is the routine incompetence of the Sox when it comes to competing for premium talent wherever it may be.

Yet you don't even know what talent these players have. The Sox did sign 3 of the top 50. How many teams can say that? Besides you are dealing with 16 and 17 year olds here. It is a crapshoot for the most part. It would be interesting to see the top 30 7 years ago and see how that played out. Wasn't Adolpho ranked #2 when the Sox signed him?

Here are the top 30 international bonuses from 2010

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2611344.html

Doesn't look like many teams got a lot of bang out of their buck.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:44 AM)

Focusing on a top 30 list is an exercise in futility though. We have no idea if that top list is actually the top 30 players. They really like Josue Guerrero and gave him $1.1 million. That's more than some guys in the top 30 received.

Teams don't go by arbitrary top 30 lists from mlb.com. They have their own lists and have their own scouts compiling these lists. Michael Ynoa received a record bonus when he was signed. How did that turn out? It is a crapshoot. These are 16 year old kids your talking about.

The sox strategy of going for quantity is a sound strategy. You have a better chance that at least one of these guys pan out than going for the big high dollar players.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Focusing on a top 30 list is an exercise in futility though. We have no idea if that top list is actually the top 30 players. They really like Josue Guerrero and gave him $1.1 million. That's more than some guys in the top 30 received.

So chances are the names that appear on the top 25/30 lists for Baseball America, Fangraphs, and MLB.com don't represent a collective view of the top available international talent out there, that the Sox bypassing all of those guys is no big deal? Ok, I guess I didn't realize the bogus nature of all of those lists compiled by those reputable organizations. Just going to have to put all of our eggs in the basket of hope that the Sox front office, long known for their excellence in scouting, has somehow done a better job this go around than teams like the Padres and Braves, who did go after guys on the top 30. Fool's errand on their part?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
Yet you don't even know what talent these players have. The Sox did sign 3 of the top 50. How many teams can say that? Besides you are dealing with 16 and 17 year olds here. It is a crapshoot for the most part. It would be interesting to see the top 30 7 years ago and see how that played out. Wasn't Adolpho ranked #2 when the Sox signed him?

Here are the top 30 international bonuses from 2010

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2611344.html

Doesn't look like many teams got a lot of bang out of their buck.

Do you, Dick Allen? Do you have a view into the talent of any of the top 30 talent, such that would warrant and explain how or why the Sox would bypass going after these players?

No, he doesn't.

He just wants you to commit to naming some names (of course, none of us have videos of their workouts accessible) so he can show up 2-3 years later and say ".......... was supposed to be a future star according to Thad Bosley."

Because Thad Bosley missing a prediction on a young player at age 15-17 he's never even seen before (besides reading internet hype) is exactly the same as Hostetler and Marco Paddy having the professional responsibility to analyze the same players, having monitored them for years.

And you can be sure if we blew past our spending limits and had, let's say, 3 out of the "consensus" Top 10, it would be used as justification of how the White Sox were totally turning over a new leaf and were really experiencing a sea change in how they do business with talent evaluation and development.

Either they don't want to spend the money (in the lottery, essentially) or they don't feel they can confidently assess its value to allocate precious resources for some of the very top bonuses (see Moncada with Boston).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
So chances are the names that appear on the top 25/30 lists for Baseball America, Fangraphs, and MLB.com don't represent a collective view of the top available international talent out there, that the Sox bypassing all of those guys is no big deal? Ok, I guess I didn't realize the bogus nature of all of those lists compiled by those reputable organizations. Just going to have to put all of our eggs in the basket of hope that the Sox front office, long known for their excellence in scouting, has somehow done a better job this go around than teams like the Padres and Braves, who did go after guys on the top 30. Fool's errand on their part?

You have to take those rankings with a grain of salt. Consider this, most of the development for these 16-17 year old kids will be in the next 2-3 years, a lot could change over that period of time - they could grow 2-3 inches, gain 20-40 lbs, develop a power stroke, gain 8-10 MPH on their fastballs, which changes the tools they bring as a player. Do yourself a favor and go find a scouting report for Chris Sale coming out of high school. He was such an afterthought that FGCU was the only D1 school to give him an offer. This is very common for many high schoolers every year before they hit their strides in college.

But to me the kicker is these kids play in a foreign country and most of which do not play in organized competition American high schoolers do. I've read that once they've come to verbal agreements with teams, they basically disappear till the signing date so that other teams/scouts could not get in contact with these players. Chances that people who made up these top lists have a good read outside of maybe 5-10 kids is very slim.

Scouting for the July 2nd international signing is such a crapshoot that I honestly believe that it is the most difficult area to scout if all of professional sports. I have no problem with the Sox going with kids they see a few traits they like and also going with quantity versus putting all eggs in one basket.