Top 30 International Prospects; July 2nd 2016

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 01:15 AM)
Would think Gourriel/Gurriel will end up signing with the same team as his brother...probably the Yankees.

The Yanks are in a tough position to make that happen with no apparent place for either to play. If they do sign as a pair, I think the Dodgers would be the favorite with holes in LF and at 3B.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
FutureSox ‏@FutureSox 45m45 minutes ago

OF Luis Mieses linked with #WhiteSox in this report on J2 names:

Ben Badler wrote about him. Here are some notes:

Just turned 16.

Left-Handed OF

6-4 185 pounds

Standout offensive game: good swing, and ability to hit for big power shown in games

Plus arm for RF

Not much a runner and defense needs work

$500,000.00

There was a Rick Hahn led conference call with season ticket holders and when asked about J2, Hahn said that the team is signing 9 players and that includes one 'big expenditure'.

I've been scouring the Internet to did out who they are.

The last big signing, Adolfo...has kind of faded away from view.

We don't even hear about him being considered for the Top 10 list anymore.

Yes, it's a "lottery ticket" mechanism, and you hope that maybe 1 out of 20/25 turn into MLB All-Stars. Not sure if the ROI is there, not for small and middle market teams (unless their scouting is just top notch and their miss rate is lower).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
The Yanks are in a tough position to make that happen with no apparent place for either to play. If they do sign as a pair, I think the Dodgers would be the favorite with holes in LF and at 3B.

Have they given up on Turner? Really?

The Dodgers still have Thompson, Kiki Hernandez, Van Slyke, Ethier, Pederson and Puig. I'm pretty sure despite the "loss" of Carl Crawford they can cover that position adequately.

Doesn't mean they won't sign them.

But I don't think the likes of Chase Headley or Brett Gardner/Teixeira/Beltran/A-Rod will stop the Yankees from making a move, either.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
There was a Rick Hahn led conference call with season ticket holders and when asked about J2, Hahn said that the team is signing 9 players and that includes one 'big expenditure'.

I've been scouring the Internet to did out who they are.

There is indeed a big one on the horizon. Don't know who it is, but know it's a big one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)

Yes, it's a "lottery ticket" mechanism, and you hope that maybe 1 out of 20/25 turn into MLB All-Stars. Not sure if the ROI is there, not for small and middle market teams (unless their scouting is just top notch and their miss rate is lower).

That would be due to injuries more than anything else. If healthy, he'd have the highest ceiling in the system outside of Hansen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
Why would he have a higher ceiling than Hawkins, though?

Both are not close to five tool players.

Because Micker...has potential as a 5 tool. The only tool people think wouldn't pan out is speed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Would a guy like Mieses for 500K qualify as that big expenditure?

I really hope he doesn't qualify as the big signing. Assuming we use our full pool, that would leave about $300k/per for the remaining eight signings. Not there's enough of a difference there to call Mieses a big expenditure.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
I really hope he doesn't qualify as the big signing. Assuming we use our full pool, that would leave about $300k/per for the remaining eight signings. Not there's enough of a difference there to call Mieses a big expenditure.

The dollars will always skew towards the top two or three guys. The last half of the guys will probably be under 100k each.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
The dollars will always skew towards the top two or three guys. The last half of the guys will probably be under 100k each.

You're right, which just furthers my point. You aren't going to call a $500k guy a substantial signing if you also signed a guy for $400k or $450k.

My guess is we signed one guy closer to $1M, two around $500, and spread the remaining $1M across six players.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
You're right, which just furthers my point. You aren't going to call a $500k guy a substantial signing if you also signed a guy for $400k or $450k.

My guess is we signed one guy closer to $1M, two around $500, and spread the remaining $1M across six players.

Makes sense to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)

Most of you guys still have Adolfo on your top 10 lists, which blows my mind.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
Most of you guys still have Adolfo on your top 10 lists, which blows my mind.

He has, by far, the most power potential in the entire system, along with the highest potential arm in RF. That carries some weight in the post steroid era.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
Hopefully there's some great 19/20/21 year olds theys plan on signing. Some of that may make an impact a little quicker than the 16 year olds.

Pretty doubtful. The talent is almost all off of the island by that age.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
Hopefully there's some great 19/20/21 year olds theys plan on signing. Some of that may make an impact a little quicker than the 16 year olds.

Long term investment. Apparently there is a flood of international guys finally hitting Arizona. Might hear from some of them in 2-3 years. But once you get that pipeline flowing, Sox should have several at each level and should substantially strengthen the farm.