5/25 GT 1:10p- CLE vs Sox Series Finale- Kluber (4.10) vs Q (1.98)

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 25, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)
I want Ozzie back. Robin is the perfect corpseball manager. Too laid back to take charge of a team.

Robin blew it. At 23-10 he was playing with the house's money. He didn't go for the jugular right then and make this team believe it was an elite team. He knows better than to give away games in which you have a five-run lead for gosh sakes. And once it happened he needed to do something. Thing is ... he's old school where you do the exact same things every day, never show any emotion, never point out to the team to step it up after pissing away a game like that. Hahn/Coop/Kenny share in the blame, calling up a guy like Carroll.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tigers must have had 5 or 6 disastrous defeats alone in the first 6 weeks and it didn't seem to affect them, even when their own hometown newspaper was calling for the team to be dismantled and Ausmus canned.

They bounced back and are right in the thick of it now.

Seem to remember the same thing happening in May of 2010 when the White Sox were foundering and about to sell off before Ozzie led them on a 26-5 run.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Robin blew it. At 23-10 he was playing with the house's money. He didn't go for the jugular right then and make this team believe it was an elite team. He knows better than to give away games in which you have a five-run lead for gosh sakes. And once it happened he needed to do something. Thing is ... he's old school where you do the exact same things every day, never show any emotion, never point out to the team to step it up after pissing away a game like that. Hahn/Coop/Kenny share in the blame, calling up a guy like Carroll.

This is the problem with hiring someone with no prior managerial experience. You just don't know if he can properly handle situations like the Carroll game and the aftermath of it so the season doesn't spiral out of control.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The Tigers must have had 5 or 6 disastrous defeats alone in the first 6 weeks and it didn't seem to affect them, even when their own hometown newspaper was calling for the team to be dismantled and Ausmus canned.

They bounced back and are right in the thick of it now.

Seem to remember the same thing happening in May of 2010 when the White Sox were foundering and about to sell off before Ozzie led them on a 26-5 run.

Well Sox didn't put them away for good and now it's a 4 team race when it could've been a 2-3 team race later in the season.

That last run was 40% on Navarro for the lazy back-handed attempt to block a ball he should have gotten in front of...the next batted ball in play down the line that went through Frazier (20%) and ended up being ruled a triple, and then another 40% to Melky for playing it so lackadaisically.

We're allowing hitters there that never in a million years should have triples at USCF to get them.

Unearned. And yet another microcosm inning of the last 15 games, which turned out to be the deciding margin.

14/75 with RISP the last ten home games.

High 400's OPS as a rh batter, slumping Gordon Beckham-esque.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)

Ugh.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 25, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
This is the problem with hiring someone with no prior managerial experience. You just don't know if he can properly handle situations like the Carroll game and the aftermath of it so the season doesn't spiral out of control.

I wonder how good managers vs. bad managers deal with those losses in which the team chokes away a game that's in the bag. My guess is baseball's rule of clubhouse etiquette is to ignore it, act like you won the game. I'm thinking if I were a manager I would address the choke job in some form or fashion, whether by humor or by challenging the guys. I think we sent Carroll down right away so it's not like the manager would be embarrassing the main culprit in such a discussion. ... Again, I'd bet the book says "when your highly paid, mega millionaire baseball players inexplicably blow a game that everybody thought was in the bag, show no emotion. Act the same as if you had won the game. This is the best way to combat a huge choke job; pretend it never happened."

Throw away that volume of "the book." Address it in some way when it happens before you go 4-11.