Can Someone Honestly Tell Me ONE Thing That Ventura Does Well?

SoCalSox

I promised myself I wouldn't go to the dark side until they actually weren't in 1st place. So until that happens, I'll hope they turn this around.

But when it comes to Ventura, I'll never endorse a celebrity hire of a guy who has never managed, or put in the time as a coach.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God I didn't go to that game with my 3 KC friends tonight. I'd have been on my feet after Melky's homer, then started worrying after Hosmer proved KC wasn't just gonna lose 5-1, then start sweating when Rollins didn't throw the ball, then slither in my seat crushed as KC blazed past us and their fans went wild. Then been mesmerized by the fireworks Fridaynight show.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
Thank God I didn't go to that game with my 3 KC friends tonight. I'd have been on my feet after Melky's homer, then started worrying after Hosmer proved KC wasn't just gonna lose 5-1, then start sweating when Rollins didn't throw the ball, then slither in my seat crushed as KC blazed past us and their fans went wild. Then been mesmerized by the fireworks Fridaynight show.

lol... love this post.

Yeah I left to eat dinner and DVR's the rest of the game when they were up 5-1...

Thinking man they finally have a win against a division pursuer...

It's just unbelievable the incompetence the last 4 years.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:59 AM)
He has no ability to light a fire under his players when it's needed most.

The season ended when Texas ended our dream start and knocked us down to reality .. hard. Loss after loss after loss has followed that Robin/Carroll-led choke job.

I still say Carroll and Albers couldn't strike out Fathom or Caufield in a 1-on-1 confrontation. They blow. Duke isn't much better. Nate is beloved by those on this board.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:49 AM)
What are you talking about?

What was the thread about? Name one thing Robin does good? more than one thing actually was mentioned but it didn't seem to matter. This via just another slam session on Ventura and bashing the team. I pointed out before that no matter the slump we are in at this point m, and yes it us gut wrenchingly frustrating, we are still in first place. Beck on CSN Belt in Bill Melton said this loss is on the pen not Ventura

Edited by elrockinMT

I heard Samaritan and MACHINE from Person of Interest were both interested in the job, and already have a relationship with Michael Reinsdorf.

Or the computer that just faced off with that South Korean kid.

Think of the savings...could also run our drafts and trades/evaluation of talent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
What was the thread about? Name one thing Robin does good? more than one thing actually was mentioned but it didn't seem to matter. This via just another slam session on Ventura and bashing the team. I pointed out before that no matter the slump we are in at this point m, and yes it us gut wrenchingly frustrating, we are still in first place. Beck on CSN Belt in Bill Melton said this loss is on the pen not Ventura

You do realize the things mentioned were all sarcastic and actually criticisms? I can't find any actual posts of things he does well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:41 PM)
Dan Hayes ‎@CSNHayes

Ventura on walking Hosmer for Perez (2/2): " ... Dukie has had some good numbers against Hosmer."

Ventura on walking Hosmer for Perez (1/2): "You consider it. I mean you load it up, you don’t give Jonesy much to work with there. ...

Ventura is a dookie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:41 PM)
Dan Hayes ‎@CSNHayes

Ventura on walking Hosmer for Perez (2/2): " ... Dukie has had some good numbers against Hosmer."

Ventura on walking Hosmer for Perez (1/2): "You consider it. I mean you load it up, you don’t give Jonesy much to work with there. ...

It's low on the complaint list, but Ventura's use of the word "you" is annoying as hell. Take some f***ing ownership! Speak like a manager and not just a mouthpiece.

Basically, we used five pitchers in that one inning.

We gave our 2nd best reliever the ball when we finally were trailing, burning him up for later in the series.

It's amazing how "luck" always is against the Sox (whether it's the umpires or batted balls getting through) and for our opponents. It's almost uncanny how as soon as the crew in NYC overruled that call at 3B that virtually every Sox fan was expecting the Sox to end up trailing by the end of it. And we also gave the runners 2nd and 3rd there, Jennings' walk, what a comedy of bad events colluding for the final result.

And, then, in the end, we have virtually nobody off our bench who can threaten to get to Wade Davis or Herrera.

Eaton should have never been on the bench in the first place. Why Sands was DHing and batting 5th is just beyond me. Why Rollins was "demoted" to the bottom of the line-up against a LHP, and why Avi was so low...and why does Alex Avila even have a role with this team? Not seeing what he brings to the table. I guess it's those walks increasing our OBP.

I guess the only thing to say here is this not unexpected or unpredicatable. The Texas loss definitely was...they still haven't gotten past the shock of that game, at least you can't see it in their play (other than Frazier, Eaton and Sale). And even Chris started to lose his composure last start out against CLE. Everyone's starting to feel the pressure and trying to do too much.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
Dan Hayes ‎@CSNHayes

Hosmer has 6 AB's against Duke. Is that a relevant sample size to draw conclusions from? lol

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 27, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)

1. No one gave any serious reasons.

2. What am I b****ing about in this thread after getting answers from people?

I'm just confused by your response. The whole "They are still in first place" argument won't be valid for too much longer so you may want to think of something else to hold onto...

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)
There was statistically about a 5 pct chance that Perez would walk in that situation. We aren't taking about someone with a good eye at the plate

Yep, he's either going to K or make contact...he's extremely difficult to walk, unless you're just not even allowing him to expand his strike zone away and off the plate on a slider.

Here's the thing.

Name any random White Sox former player:

Thome

Rowand

Konerko

AJ

Crede

Buehrle

How would they be even less equipped to deal with today's players??? Ventura is respected and keeps the clubhouse calm, but it seems that Jim Thome would do or accomplish the exact same thing. Maybe Rowand would be a little more hyper and chippy, but definitely not Thome or Konerko. AJ, that would be fun watching him trying to get along with Cooper and KW.

Black Jack McDowell (who would never be offered the job anyway) would be the other former Sox player with an edge.

Unless they went with Carl The Dinosaur Everett in a bid to "mojo back that leadership" they supposedly lost after 2005.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ May 27, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
It's low on the complaint list, but Ventura's use of the word "you" is annoying as hell. Take some f***ing ownership! Speak like a manager and not just a mouthpiece.

been saying this for years!

annoying as hell.... rubs me the wrong way

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
Here's the thing.

Name any random White Sox former player:

Thome

Rowand

Konerko

AJ

Crede

Buehrle

How would they be even less equipped to deal with today's players??? Ventura is respected and keeps the clubhouse calm, but it seems that Jim Thome would do or accomplish the exact same thing. Maybe Rowand would be a little more hyper and chippy, but definitely not Thome or Konerko. AJ, that would be fun watching him trying to get along with Cooper and KW.

Black Jack McDowell (who would never be offered the job anyway) would be the other former Sox player with an edge.

Unless they went with Carl The Dinosaur Everett in a bid to "mojo back that leadership" they supposedly lost after 2005.

If Ventura gets fired, it'd be Rick Renter taking over and my guess would be that they'd hire Sandy Alomar in the offseason

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 28, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
If Ventura gets fired, it'd be Rick Renter taking over and my guess would be that they'd hire Sandy Alomar in the offseason

Vegas has Buddy Bell as the favorite at 5-2.