Princess Dye

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Wasn't Morneau the Twin who was burning Sox hats before a series 7-8 years ago?

My how times have changed.

Yes among other things (in commercials he referred to the Sox as well...)

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
Funny how things change when you need a job.

Does it say that he's interested in the Sox? I read it as: the Sox are interested in him. If he still wants to play, he obviously benefits from as many bidders as possible, c.f. Tim Lincecum. He may yet tell them to take-a-hike.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Would much rather play hayes/coats than waste a spot on a 35-year old first baseman when we are in 4th place in June.

We're in a win-now mode. Hayes/Coats are for when this season is a wrap, but we are still a veteran group trying to make a playoff push. May/June nothwithstanding

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Does it say that he's interested in the Sox? I read it as: the Sox are interested in him. If he still wants to play, he obviously benefits from as many bidders as possible, c.f. Tim Lincecum. He may yet tell them to take-a-hike.

If he wasn't interested, it wouldn't be news worthy because it wouldn't have gotten past the "No" stage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
If he wasn't interested, it wouldn't be news worthy because it wouldn't have gotten past the "No" stage.

I'm sure his agent is telling him that it's in his best interest to have as many teams as possible involved to drive up the market. The 'no' could very easily come later when selecting among any/all offers.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
We're in a win-now mode. Hayes/Coats are for when this season is a wrap, but we are still a veteran group trying to make a playoff push. May/June nothwithstanding

If you never develop a Hayes/Coats, you will always be searching for a washed up free agent unsigned in May to be your missing piece to get you over the top.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
I'm sure his agent is telling him that it's in his best interest to have as many teams as possible involved to drive up the market. The 'no' could very easily come later when selecting among any/all offers.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)

Ideally, sure. But what do you think the market looks like for a brain damaged DH?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
If you never develop a Hayes/Coats, you will always be searching for a washed up free agent unsigned in May to be your missing piece to get you over the top.

They are both having a great start to 2016. The rest of their track record is Jordan Danksian. You do not move around your team to see if a Jordan Danks can develop at the major league level. They will play every day and when need arises later this year, fine. But I see nothing in their career track record that assures me they'll be better than Avi.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Ideally, sure. But what do you think the market looks like for a brain damaged DH?

All the more reason to be diplomatic and not to tell someone to GTH even though you really want to. If the time comes and the Sox ARE the market, then we'll see how badly he still wants to play.

Hopefully we sign him, grab Carl Crawford on the cheap and then go out and get Jose Conteras to shore up the bullpen. I've also heard that Barry Bonds has been keeping in shape as a hitting coach for the Marlins - he could have some pop left too.

All would be solid moves and could really improve the clubhouse as they've "been there before".

Do it KW!

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
All the more reason to be diplomatic and not to tell someone to GTH even though you really want to. If the time comes and the Sox ARE the market, then we'll see how badly he still wants to play.

Which goes back to my point that he has to change now that he wants a job.