Morneau buzz

Princess Dye

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Which goes back to my point that he has to change now that he wants a job.

If what you mean is that he can't come right out and tell the Sox what to do with (or to) themselves, then fine. But, IMO, any REAL change will only have to come if the only, or by far the best, offer he gets is from the Sox. There's a considerable difference between him not balking at talking to the Sox and having a change of heart and playing nice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Funny how things change when you need a job.

Given the amount of money he's made in his career I seriously doubt he "needs" a job. If he's interested its because he wants to keep playing probably not for the small amount of money he's going to get (small in relative terms to the average person.)

Mark

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
They are both having a great start to 2016. The rest of their track record is Jordan Danksian. You do not move around your team to see if a Jordan Danks can develop at the major league level. They will play every day and when need arises later this year, fine. But I see nothing in their career track record that assures me they'll be better than Avi.

Trayce Thompson also had a less than impressive total career. Coats last year was good too.

They are both cheap, and if they work out are cheap over the next 6 years. I'd also like to bet that neither morneau, coats or hayes provide the impact bat we need.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
If what you mean is that he can't come right out and tell the Sox what to do with (or to) themselves, then fine. But, IMO, any REAL change will only have to come if the only, or by far the best, offer he gets is from the Sox. There's a considerable difference between him not balking at talking to the Sox and having a change of heart and playing nice.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Given the amount of money he's made in his career I seriously doubt he "needs" a job. If he's interested its because he wants to keep playing probably not for the small amount of money he's going to get (small in relative terms to the average person.)

Mark

Which all means all of his bluster of the White Sox was just talk, because despite everything, he is still talking to them about a job.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Trayce Thompson also had a less than impressive total career. Coats last year was good too.

They are both cheap, and if they work out are cheap over the next 6 years. I'd also like to bet that neither morneau, coats or hayes provide the impact bat we need.

Morneau may not be a star but he won a batting title in 2014. This team needs people who can hit. Lets start there. As far as star-hitters lets not hold our breath unless we want to wave goodbye to Tim Anderson, who is supposed to be the '17 starting SS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Which all means all of his bluster of the White Sox was just talk, because despite everything, he is still talking to them about a job.

I'm not sure if you get the concept of negotiations and leverage. And I'm sure it is his agent talking to the teams. I'd have my agent talk to the team I hated the most if I knew I could use them as leverage. And if they were my best or only offer and I had made almost 100 MM in my life, well I might still tell them to take-a-hike.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
They are both having a great start to 2016. The rest of their track record is Jordan Danksian. You do not move around your team to see if a Jordan Danks can develop at the major league level. They will play every day and when need arises later this year, fine. But I see nothing in their career track record that assures me they'll be better than Avi.

Jordan Danks may not have made it, but at one point he was a pretty highly thought of prospect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
I'm not buying this. If Morneau was ready to sign with teams, I would imagine his agent(s) would have the word out. Coming off elbow surgery, probably will have really diminished power this year.

I was going to rip this move, but I'll at least admit I was surprised at how good of numbers Morneau put up in the limited time that he actually played with the Rockies the past two seasons.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I was going to rip this move, but I'll at least admit I was surprised at how good of numbers Morneau put up in the limited time that he actually played with the Rockies the past two seasons.

I just wonder what the effect of another year and elbow surgery and missing time would have on him.

And unless he is resigned that all he will get is some minor league make good deal, I really don't buy the White Sox being able to stealthly sign him before word gets out that he is ready to go. There are several teams looking for bats.

But you are right, he has been better than probably most realize when he was able to play the past couple of years. More of a threat from the left side than JB Shuck.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I just wonder what the effect of another year and elbow surgery and missing time would have on him.

And unless he is resigned that all he will get is some minor league make good deal, I really don't buy the White Sox being able to stealthly sign him before word gets out that he is ready to go. There are several teams looking for bats.

I fully agree with both of your points. I see no reason he wouldn't have an open try out to garner up as much possible attention as possible (vs. just signing with the White Sox without having some big "marketing" campaign). I have no idea how the injuries will have impacted him and if he can even stay on the field...originally I was thinking he wasn't that great before the injury but than I was like, at least he wasn't bad when he was on the field...now how much this injury and the time off impacts him, who knows. None of it will matter if the pen continues to give up an exorbitant number of runs. Right now I don't know what is the bigger issue, the lack of offense (which could legitimately be solved by Abreu emerging...quite a difference in having a below average hitter and one of the better hitters in the AL (which Abreu was over the past two years) or the pen. Rotation is good enough we should be able to win (especially with Shields delivering extra innings which could theoritically help the pen).

We know my stance on Robin. While I don't think he is necessarily the problem, I also don't find him as the long-term solution, either. So for someone who not once called for his head during any of the previous years and until a day or two ago hadn't yet, either, I think they've hit the point where you legitimately need to leverage that card. I also happen to think Renteria is probably the better manager, anyway. Not a huge knock on Ventura and really only last year was a giant disappointment, but I'd view this as two seasons in a row where the team has missed the boat vs. expectations, with him unfortunately winning so many games early, actually hurting his chances because of this recent tail-spin.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm not sure if you get the concept of negotiations and leverage. And I'm sure it is his agent talking to the teams. I'd have my agent talk to the team I hated the most if I knew I could use them as leverage. And if they were my best or only offer and I had made almost 100 MM in my life, well I might still tell them to take-a-hike.

Ugh. You are totally missing the point. Justin Morneau was full of s***. There is no need to make excuses for him to to justify it.

QUOTE (skooch @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)

I don't think 35 year olds who haven't played much the past 5 or 6 years,coming off elbow surgery have much leverage. I don't think I would give him a major league deal until I saw him swing a bat.

Thoughts on Morneau? He certainly is upgrade on Shuck and Avi and Rollins as DH. And he can spell Abreu who sucks at D. I don't mind it. Still think we need a CarGo/Reddick/Lucroy type move but I wonder what we could even part with to get those guys.

Let me ask this: If we have 1 1/2 years left in our three year window, what sense did it make to pass on Fowler and Desmond for a draft pick. Is whoever we get in draft gonna help this year or next? Almost certainly not.

so who is realistic trade bait? Spencer Adams seems most likely. And I don't want to trade Fulmer or Anderson but for Lucroy? Boy how could you not. Still may not be enough. The hope was Fulmer was #5 option of pen arm. Right now I'd say that's not likely this year. Anderson I'm torn on. Like the intangibles. But 9 errors and terrible K/BB rate. Those don't translate well to big leagues. Speed is nice but gotta get on base. So I would part with him if it brings back elite player but nothing less.

AS for pen, yeah, we need a top notch lefty to push Duke/Jennings/Albers into irrelevance and mop up.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
If the Sox did sign Morneau, they would probably have the best 2010 roster in baseball.

Not really. Outside of Rollins, no one else the team was really relevant in 2010 in the bigs...maybe Melky.

Also just so happened to be Melky's worst year of his career.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
Not really. Outside of Rollins, no one else the team was really relevant in 2010 in the bigs...maybe Melky.

Also just so happened to be Melky's worst year of his career.

Maybe Austin Jackson. Mat Latos was relevant at that time.

Edited by soxfan2014

Okay, Jason Coats. That's how much I have paid attention to him as a prospect, don't even know his name clearly.

Five days ago, he was a savior, along with Hayes. Now we need Justin Morneau, who's more likely to have a swing akin to Kendry Morales and Stephen Drew after sitting for so long in 2014.

Plus, NL West to AL Central. Big change in difficulty. Ask Cueto and Shark.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
Okay, Jason Coats. That's how much I have paid attention to him as a prospect, don't even know his name clearly.

Five days ago, he was a savior, along with Hayes. Now we need Justin Morneau, who's more likely to have a swing akin to Kendry Morales and Stephen Drew after sitting for so long in 2014.

Plus, NL West to AL Central. Big change in difficulty. Ask Cueto and Shark.

Haven't been on a ton in this forum lately but don't remember anyone calling them a savior. Just new fresh blood.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Haven't been on a ton in this forum lately but don't remember anyone calling them a savior. Just new fresh blood.

Not even fresh blood, just a warm body until AJax and Melky came back

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)

I'm sure it was all talk, part of the Twins PR approach.

Mark