Pulse Nightclub Shooting in Orlando

pettie4sox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
He was investigated by the FBI twice, and he was removed from his position at the court house when coworkers complained about him. How do you think "pc" stopped the FBI from doing their jobs?

edit: he was also given the MMPI, a standard in-depth psychological screening, at least once by his employer. He had originally been assigned to the county court house, but people there complained that he prayed in arabic several times a day. Around that same time is when the FBI did their investigation. Due to tensions with coworkers and complaints from the customer (the court house), his employer reassigned him to a different post at a gated residential community after putting him through another background check and after the FBI completed their investigations finding no cause for arrest.

All I can say is I haven't read the stuff you are saying. The story I read had a neighbor saying he didn't go to police about the punk because he didn't want to be singled out as a profiler. Or aggressor toward a minority. And as far as work, the story I read had a co worker of the punk saying he complained about him and nothing was done cause HR didn't want to get sued. I like what you wrote. That's more like it.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
I"m at a loss.

Timeline:

Post Tea Party election, Democrats push idea that their policies are radically outside the political mainstream, beat them in elections in 2012. Labeling is bad.

DOnald Trump learns from this that labeling is okay, gets elected because of democrats, then pushes forth the idea that muslims are inherently radical in the sense that they want to murder and destroy the institution of America and should be banned, and it was a mistake to allow current muslim americans into this country.

Linear A-to-B argument.

What articles of the Constitution are these "radical liberals" completely disregarding?

When the US was founded on the idea of freedom of religion, and it's also a country that is comprised of 99.2% immigrants (by original ancestry)...and we now want to put a "means test" on who we "trust" to enter the country, there's a big problem.

Shouldn't all Italian immigrants have been blocked at Ellis Island for possibly being future/current Mafia members?

Shouldn't all Asians be blocked because they could be part of the Yakuza/Triad?

All Africans, because most Chinese think they are "dirty and have diseases"? (I'm not joking about this one, as sad as it is to hear quite often living here.)

All Indians, because their children will take the place of our children in universities someday because of superior math/technology skills?

All gays, because we'd have to build extra bathrooms for LGBT users. Too expensive to accommodate.

All disabled, because they don't contribute anything to the economy and soak up social services monies.

Is it true Australia had no gun control until that massacre in the 90s. I forget what happened now. But they then banned guns of mass destruction and have had no problems since.

The problem here is the gun people, the gun owners, many of them, won't give up their guns. They demand the right to buy guns. Many say they will die before giving up their guns.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
Is it true Australia had no gun control until that massacre in the 90s. I forget what happened now. But they then banned guns of mass destruction and have had no problems since.

The problem here is the gun people, the gun owners, many of them, won't give up their guns. They demand the right to buy guns. Many say they will die before giving up their guns.

No problems? Go google it Greg. And stay away from partisan sites on both sides. At best it has been just a shift from gun deaths to other violent deaths and crime. Even Snopes which leans left, despite trying to appear otherwise, says it is a mixed bag.

Sounds like after reviewing his social media history just before the attack and the phone calls he was making before and during the massacre, there's no question this guy was doing this in support of an anti-West, pro-ISIS/radical Islam ideology. Specifically citing airstrikes in the Middle East.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
No problems? Go google it Greg. And stay away from partisan sites on both sides. At best it has been just a shift from gun deaths to other violent deaths and crime. Even Snopes which leans left, despite trying to appear otherwise, says it is a mixed bag.

5 million more people, less murders per year than 15 years prior

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

No mass shootings.

Banning guns won't eliminate murder. But there is a hell of a lot of success between 0 murders and mass shootings every day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/opinions/tru...rgen/index.html

Greg, I want you to read this, and give a serious response that doesn't mention the name Hillary once...tell me why you believe the author and Obama are wrong and Trump is right on this issue.

Like DrunkBomber says, there are no Trump supporters on soxtalk, not even Greg. I will not vote for Trump. I also as you know despise Hillary. So that means I write in somebody. As far as Trump's position on TEMPORARILY suspending people from some countries coming into the USA, well like the writer says it may not work because most of the attacks are made by assholes born in the USA. I wouldn't think a temporary ban would be the worst thing in history however. We have to attack this problem somehow. I don't even know what Trump thinks about gun control. I have a good buddy on Facebook who posted why he wants to keep his guns and it was an effective argument even though I told him I could never carry a gun. He said he refuses to as he put it be "whimpering on the floor when some gunman invades the restaurant where he is dining." He also said he will protect himself and his family and others from the gunman. He wants to be armed to have a fighting chance and not be begging for his life from some lowlife with a gun. Hard to argue with him. I don't want to be a sitting duck hiding in some bathroom praying the gunman doesn't come in.

Good point. There's really no reason to keep mentioning Trump on here. Pretty much everybody agrees he's an awful candidate for president. Thing is ... so is Wall Street moneybag Hillary. I can think of no worse candidate in history besides Trump because of her elitism and desire to please the 1 percenters at her own benefit. The rules don't apply to her as email scandal proves.

Trump is the republican presidential candidate who gave a major speech after this shooting about this shooitng. He will be brought up plenty. Get used to it.

Hey there,

So... this hit home for me. I've spent four years of the last six working at a gay bar in Philadelphia on the weekends. I still fill in there on occasions. I often work at special events for the LGBT community as well. I've felt a metaphorical target on my back in places before for being gay, and although its faded quite a bit over recent years - it feels freshly taped on my back this week. And the more I've read about this, waited for friends to message me that they weren't at that bar, the more I've learned about the person who killed all these people - the less I feel that this is about terror from abroad and more about terror from within. I feel that this is the result of a toxic brew of mental instability, being unable to accept your own identity, and feeling marginalized (in multiple communities), and influence from extremists who are quicker to demand blood and hate than acceptance and love.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that terrorism has no place in this discussion... but this is a lot more complicated than just terrorism. There are so many nasty things that slammed together behind an AR-15 on Saturday night... and a lot of people are just ignoring that part of it.

Appreciate you posting your take.

Since you're are a homosexual - I wonder if you're familiar with this guys upbringing (father, specifically), sharia, etc.

I mean - I can't understand how anyone can't see the Islamic extremism/sharia/self-loathing in this.

He was a muslim "body builder" with a Taliban sympathizing father "extremist/Sharia proponent" with a history of 2 s***ty marriages to women (surprise - slapped them both around) because he's obviously a self-loathing gay.

This was not about SOCIETY and AR-15s.

It's about Islamic religious doctrine that is intolerant, stupid, and quite frankly - poisonous. There is no reason any of us should be around it, subject to it, and/or import it to our country.

Get real.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 12:45 AM)
Appreciate you posting your take.

Since your are a homosexual - I wonder if you're familiar with this guys upbringing (father, specifically), sharia, etc.

I mean - I can't understand how anyone can't see the Islamic extremism/sharia/self-loathing in this....

He's a muslim "body builder" with a Taliban sympathizing father "extremist/Sharia proponent" with a history of 2 s***ty marriages to women (surprise - slapped them both around) because he's obviously a self-loathing gay.

This was not about SOCIETY and AR-15s.

It's about Islamic religious doctrine that is intolerant, stupid, and quite frankly - poisonous. There is no reason any of us should be around it, subject to it, and/or import it to our country.

Get real.

He was also a regular at the bar. For years. He also went on dates with class mates of his when he was studying Criminal Justice. He was also flirting with guys on gay apps. He clearly had a lot of confusion over his own identity and couldn't handle it, nor, most likely, could he turn to his family for support - and hadn't been lucky enough to develop a chosen family where he could turn for support.

People talk about how he pled allegiance to ISIS on the phone, neglecting that he pledged allegiance to Nusra and Hezbollah and the Boston Marathon bombers. None of those people are connected, and Nusra, Hezbollah and ISIS are all enemies of each other. That's not someone with a clear sense of ideology.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
He was also a regular at the bar. For years. He also went on dates with class mates of his when he was studying Criminal Justice. He was also flirting with guys on gay apps. He clearly had a lot of confusion over his own identity and couldn't handle it, nor, most likely, could he turn to his family for support - and hadn't been lucky enough to develop a chosen family where he could turn for support.

People talk about how he pled allegiance to ISIS on the phone, neglecting that he pledged allegiance to Nusra and Hezbollah and the Boston Marathon bombers. None of those people are connected, and Nusra, Hezbollah and ISIS are all enemies of each other. That's not someone with a clear sense of ideology.

Your first paragraph doesn't surprise - it supports my conclusion (self loathing gay).

None of those organizations have tolerance for homosexuality. NONE OF THEM. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

You couldn't find a more COMMON AND CLEAR SENSE of idealogy.

Get real.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 12:09 AM)
Your first paragraph doesn't surprise - it supports my conclusion (self loathing gay).

None of those organizations have tolerance for homosexuality. NONE OF THEM. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Get real.

I'd just like to point out that I agree with a lot of what you have to say when it comes to intolerance inherent in a lot of religions, specifically this one, especially against LGBT, etc...but when you finish off every post with "Get real", it makes you come across like a condescending prick, and there is no reason for it.

Rex is simply trying convey his feelings about why this hit so close to him while having a conversation about it, which you had, only you signed off with a backhanded comment in both of your last two posts.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
I'd just like to point out that I agree with a lot of what you have to say when it comes to intolerance inherent in a lot of religions, specifically this one, especially against LGBT, etc...but when you finish off every post with "Get real", it makes you come across like a condescending prick, and there is no reason for it.

Rex is simply trying convey his feelings about why this hit so close to him while having a conversation about it, which you had, only you signed off with a backhanded comment in both of your last two posts.

+1

Edited by pettie4sox

I just realized I must have unknowingly gotten old around here...I used to be the one giving backhanded comments and getting suspended on a weekly basis...now I'm telling others to stop doing it. :|

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
Hey there,

I've felt a metaphorical target on my back in places before for being gay, and although its faded quite a bit over recent years - it feels freshly taped on my back this week.

In different ways several people I know have said the same thing after the shooting which has been rolling around in my brain. From someone who has shared a lot of posts through the years the target I see on your back is for compassion and empathy. So for whatever support a semi-anonymous person can send your way, it's there. Perhaps we are doing better as a society when one group is specifically targeted and those feelings are felt well beyond those that are targeted. The broader and deeper those ripples are felt the more together we become as a nation.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 01:09 AM)

Get real.

I think what a lot of people are getting wrong is that they are looking for that ONE thing. It's a combination of things. Just like a literal explosive, you have the ingredients, put them together and BOOM.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
I think what a lot of people are getting wrong is that they are looking for that ONE thing. It's a combination of things. Just like a literal explosive, you have the ingredients, put them together and BOOM.

That's exactly my point. There are plenty of muslims who are anti-gay. There are plenty of christians who are anti-gay as well. There are plenty of people who are anti-gay, period. I'm not, nor was I ever discounting that. I just think its way more complicated than "ISIS" because he clearly wasn't a member of ISIS. He seems to have had other motivations, and the more I read about this, the more this feels like something more similar to a workplace shooting than a traditional terror attack. This event CAN be more than one thing at one time.

I will say this about the AR-15. If he'd walked in with normal handguns, a lot fewer people would have been killed. I don't understand why this weapon is allowed to be purchased for civilian purposes, and I don't know why buying a gun is easier to do than getting a driver's license or in some states, buying Sudafed, but it seems like this is something we can fix in our government that would at least take a step to limiting the loss of life in mass shootings and I don't know why we wouldn't take some common sense steps to make our gun distribution networks a bit more responsible for what they do.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

Thanks for that. Islam does not hold a monopoly on anti-gay bigotry. Remember, the folks that pushed Uganda to institute capital punishment for homosexuality were spurred on by "Christian" members of the clergy. There are all sorts of pastors who preached last Sunday about how they should be happy that there were "50 fewer sodomites" in this world that day. Violence against LGBT communities happens on a daily basis, and that violence isn't limited by religion.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
Thanks for that. Islam does not hold a monopoly on anti-gay bigotry. Remember, the folks that pushed Uganda to institute capital punishment for homosexuality were spurred on by "Christian" members of the clergy. There are all sorts of pastors who preached last Sunday about how they should be happy that there were "50 fewer sodomites" in this world that day. Violence against LGBT communities happens on a daily basis, and that violence isn't limited by religion.

The same day as the Orlando massacre, a 20 year old non-Muslim white kid from Indiana was arrested by the LAPD with a bunch of weapons and ammunition who was heading to the pride parade to do basically the same thing as Orlando.

Round up all the white Christians who are anti-gay...you'll have at least 30-50 million in jail cells.

Don't hear any Republican politicians touting this brilliant idea. Actually, their "for profit" prison patrons (oodles of PAC donations) would love to get the extra customers to profit off of.

That idea seems insane, right? Well, so should rounding up those who follow another religion, at least if you believe in the Founding Fathers and the intentions behind the way in which the US Constitution was written.

Edited by caulfield12