Pulse Nightclub Shooting in Orlando

pettie4sox

I remember reading/seeing this town hall a few weeks ago. The timing is unreal.

“I just came from a meeting today in the situation room, in which I’ve got people who we know have been on ISIL websites, living here in the United States, U.S. citizens,” Obama said at the town hall, using another name for the Islamic State group. “And we’re allowed to put them on the no-fly list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association, I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun.”

“This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer, and if he wants to walk into a gun store or a gun show right now and buy as many weapons and ammunition as he can, nothing’s prohibiting him from doing that even though the FBI knows who he is,” the president said.

The scenario Obama described as a possibility has now come true. Omar Mateen, 29, bought a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun less than a week before he killed around 50 people at a gay nightclub in Florida. Mateen had been investigated by the FBI twice — once in 2013 and again in 2014 — but was still legally allowed to obtain the weapons.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
I remember reading/seeing this town hall a few weeks ago. The timing is unreal.

“I just came from a meeting today in the situation room, in which I’ve got people who we know have been on ISIL websites, living here in the United States, U.S. citizens,” Obama said at the town hall, using another name for the Islamic State group. “And we’re allowed to put them on the no-fly list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association, I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun.”

“This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer, and if he wants to walk into a gun store or a gun show right now and buy as many weapons and ammunition as he can, nothing’s prohibiting him from doing that even though the FBI knows who he is,” the president said.

The scenario Obama described as a possibility has now come true. Omar Mateen, 29, bought a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun less than a week before he killed around 50 people at a gay nightclub in Florida. Mateen had been investigated by the FBI twice — once in 2013 and again in 2014 — but was still legally allowed to obtain the weapons.

So what you're saying is that anyone who is investigated should be banned from flying and buying weapons. I'm going to have to disagree. convicted of a felony, yes. Investigated with no charges, arrest or convictions, no.

I'm not really comfortable with an extra-judicial and unchallengable "watch list" that prohibits you from exercising your constitutional rights, and there's lots of documented problems with the No-Fly list.

Guys like Adam Lanza and Jared Loughner were never on the FBI radar. Omar had an active license to carry a gun as part of his job (though his current position was unarmed). A "no-guns" list would not prevent these sorts of tragedies.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm not really comfortable with an extra-judicial and unchallengable "watch list" that prohibits you from exercising your constitutional rights, and there's lots of documented problems with the No-Fly list.

Guys like Adam Lanza and Jared Loughner were never on the FBI radar. Omar had an active license to carry a gun as part of his job (though his current position was unarmed). A "no-guns" list would not prevent these sorts of tragedies.

Hey, we agree on something somewhat political! :cheers

Obama is right on this issue. These ISIS people should not be given access to assault rifles!

Why in the hell does any American need an assault rifle?? So a fear of the police turning on the citizenry has Americans loading up on assault weapons? I hate to break it to them. If the police decide to fight us, they will win. Ever hear of them dropping hand grenades on your house, etc? You don't need an assault rifle.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Obama is right on this issue. These ISIS people should not be given access to assault rifles!

Why in the hell does any American need an assault rifle?? So a fear of the police turning on the citizenry has Americans loading up on assault weapons? I hate to break it to them. If the police decide to fight us, they will win. Ever hear of them dropping hand grenades on your house, etc? You don't need an assault rifle.

Good question Greg, the answer is they dont. Nobody needs high capacity clips and assault rifles. They arent for hunting, they are for killing other people. They should be illegal to manufacture.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
Good question Greg, the answer is they dont. Nobody needs high capacity clips and assault rifles. They arent for hunting, they are for killing other people. They should be illegal to manufacture.

So our military should fight with peashooters? /green

So it's big news today Hillary called it "Radical Islam."

Kudos to her. And f*** America if anybody thinks it is wrong to single out these MOTHERf***ERS for killing 50 Americans in a gawd-dam nightclub! Why can't we call those bastards whatever we want to call them. They are killing our people! This is a f***ing war, people. The P.C. police need to grow up in a hurry. These people are our enemy! At least Hillary did the right thing here for gawd sakes! I wish the PC people would just shut the f*** up once in a while. So what if "most" are peaceful. The radicals are motherf***ers.

What? How did you misinterpret it for that? The concern was that it was a hatecrime and not a radical islam action. The FBI isn't even sure yet, they think it was based on religion but they are still investigating. s***, they closed a file on him years back, clearly they didn't feel it was worthwhile continuing a case on him.

Essentially, a lot of people didn't want to call this a radical islam attack before knowing if it was actually that and not just a straight hate crime.

Either way, it's a terrible tragedy. Whether it's religion or personal hate against gays it's just awful. BTW, anyone who thinks muslims are the only ones to think this way (and not saying anyone has actively said that here yet), the Westboro church group has come out and said it was an act of God. Crazies going to be crazy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Some newspaper agrees with Greg. I challenge you all to read this and take off the PC hat and FIGHT THESE MOTHERf***ERS who have ruined our country. We are ALL at risk every single day of our lives. We are all on ISIS kill lists, people.

http://www.feedspot.com/?dadi=1#feed/f_423...=43114937540794

Yes, you could die at any moment. But it is highly unlikely it will be from a terrorist attack.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
What? How did you misinterpret it for that? The concern was that it was a hatecrime and not a radical islam action. The FBI isn't even sure yet, they think it was based on religion but they are still investigating. s***, they closed a file on him years back, clearly they didn't feel it was worthwhile continuing a case on him.

Essentially, a lot of people didn't want to call this a radical islam attack before knowing if it was actually that and not just a straight hate crime.

Either way, it's a terrible tragedy. Whether it's religion or personal hate against gays it's just awful. BTW, anyone who thinks muslims are the only ones to think this way (and not saying anyone has actively said that here yet), the Westboro church group has come out and said it was an act of God. Crazies going to be crazy.

Consider that the LAPD stopped a similarly armed man yesterday heading to an LGBT parade in LA with similar intentions, and he appears to have zero ties to Islam at all.

Greg, I "challenge you" to read over this article on the deadliest US mass shootings in reverse chronological order, and tell me what the ratio is for Islamic versus non-Islamic. Domestic radicalization is a very real and difficult problem, but it is not limited to a single religion or ideology and there's nothing about 'political correctness' that is holding back the fight against it. Shouting that we're at war with this ideology or that ideology doesn't actually solve anything.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
Yes, you could die at any moment. But it is highly unlikely it will be from a terrorist attack.

Please read the NYPost article. We are all on a list. We are all under siege. They want you dead. They want me dead. They want your mom, dad, sister, brother, kids dead. They want all Americans dead. Kudos to Hillary for calling it radical Islam. I hate her a lot less this week if she shows that kind of leadership.

Do you realize it could have been you in that nightclub?? This is our country. Please do 'offend' them if it means us being SAFE. They know we will do nothing cause of PC concerns. And they are plotting their next attack and the next one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Please read the NYPost article. We are all on a list. We are all under siege. They want you dead. They want me dead. They want your mom, dad, sister, brother, kids dead. They want all Americans dead. Kudos to Hillary for calling it radical Islam. I hate her a lot less this week if she shows that kind of leadership.

Do you realize it could have been you in that nightclub?? This is our country. Please do 'offend' them if it means us being SAFE. They know we will do nothing cause of PC concerns. And they are plotting their next attack and the next one.

I dunno, I think the hundreds/thousands of drone strikes that are carried out against ISIS by the US and its allies are more effective than saying offensive things. Libyan forces taking back ISIS stronghold. ISIS loses ground on fronts in Syria, Iraq.

This attack doesn't appear to have been plotted by ISIS or any group at all. It seems to have been carried out by a lone individual with zero direct support who was radicalized by online material. That presents its own dangers and challenges, arguably even more challenging than larger-scale coordinated attacks because it's that much more difficult to uncover. But this is just an overreaction on your part. Calm down, and turn off the talk radio.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)

And you want them all dead, how's that going? Are they now all going to die just because you want it?

No one is saying don't blame radical islam, let's just make sure it's that before saying so. Radical religion is an absolute problem in this world, it kills a lot of people in the US and in other countries and across all religions. We are absolutely in a war against terrorism, and ISIS is a big part of that.

But that said, you are saying a lot of stupid s*** right now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
I dunno, I think the hundreds/thousands of drone strikes that are carried out against ISIS by the US and its allies are more effective than saying offensive things.

This attack doesn't appear to have been plotted by ISIS or any group at all. It seems to have been carried out by a lone individual with zero direct support who was radicalized by online material. That presents its own dangers and challenges, arguably even more challenging than larger-scale coordinated attacks because it's that much more difficult to uncover. But this is just an overreaction on your part. Calm down, and turn off the talk radio.

This killer who thankfully is DEAD cheered the 9/11 attacks it was reported today. He was a scumbag who had no right to be buying weapons of mass destruction no matter what the PC people say. He was a lowlife scum who has killed 50 Americans in one nightclub. Shame on him and his memory! Cheering 9/11???

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
And you want them all dead, how's that going? Are they now all going to die just because you want it?

No one is saying don't blame radical islam, let's just make sure it's that before saying so. Radical religion is an absolute problem in this world, it kills a lot of people in the US and in other countries and across all religions. We are absolutely in a war against terrorism, and ISIS is a big part of that.

But that said, you are saying a lot of stupid s*** right now.

I am congratulating my former enemy (in philosophy), Hillary Clinton, for saying radical Islam which she was afraid to do before because of PC concerns. I feel a lot better, well a little bit better about Hillary today. Yes I am glad you said we are in a WAR. That's what it is. WAR!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
This killer who thankfully is DEAD cheered the 9/11 attacks it was reported today. He was a scumbag who had no right to be buying weapons of mass destruction no matter what the PC people say. He was a lowlife scum who has killed 50 Americans in one nightclub. Shame on him and his memory! Cheering 9/11???

What are you even talking about here? The "PC people" (I'm assuming this is an ill-defined group of generally liberal people?) are the ones in favor of stronger gun control and even for Obama's calls for a "no-guns" watch list. What do you propose should have been done to prevent him from legally purchasing a handgun and an AR-15, and on what grounds?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
I am congratulating my former enemy (in philosophy), Hillary Clinton, for saying radical Islam which she was afraid to do before because of PC concerns. I feel a lot better, well a little bit better about Hillary today. Yes I am glad you said we are in a WAR. That's what it is. WAR!

What do you think saying "radical Islam" changes? Does it make the thousands of bombs we drop and the huge number of weapons and material we supply to anti-ISIS forces work better?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
What are you even talking about here? The "PC people" (I'm assuming this is an ill-defined group of generally liberal people?) are the ones in favor of stronger gun control and even for Obama's calls for a "no-guns" watch list. What do you propose should have been done to prevent him from legally purchasing a handgun and an AR-15, and on what grounds?

The FBI had him in its radar. Thus as my President said, he SHOULD NOT have been allowed to buy a gun. Check Obama's comments. He is right.

http://lawnewz.com/opinion/how-orlando-mas...i-threat-radar/

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
The FBI had him in its radar. Thus as my President said, he SHOULD NOT have been allowed to buy a gun. Check Obama's comments. He is right.

On what grounds? He had not been charged with let alone convicted of a crime. The FBI investigated him twice and did not find anything sufficient either time. Having extreme political views is not illegal, and I'm extremely hesitant to take the first step down the road of restricting legal and constitutional rights of people for holding the wrong views, no matter how awful they are, without any sort of judicial process.

edit: That article you linked is exactly what I'm saying.

Edited by StrangeSox

Though less and less than before, gay communities in cities are often very tight nit and seem like a small neighborhood in itself. I can't begin to imagine what it's like for a community to deal with such an event.

I don't think it's reasonable to tell the media not to cover an event we all want to read about. But I would like us all to reiterate the idea that there is nothing interesting about someone that decides to buy a bunch of guns and murder innocent people. They overcame no great feat to do.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)

What do you think saying "radical Islam" changes? Does it make the thousands of bombs we drop and the huge number of weapons and material we supply to anti-ISIS forces work better?

It shows the PC people we mean business for once. Thank u Hillary. And thank u Trump for your stance on this as well. And Obama has a good stance on this and on guns.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
It shows the PC people we mean business for once. Thank u Hillary. And thank u Trump for your stance on this as well. And Obama has a good stance on this and on guns.

So it's meaningless nonsense not actually rooted in reality.

Trump's stance is disgusting. It's diametrically opposed to Obama's stance.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
So it's meaningless nonsense not actually rooted in reality.

Trump's stance is disgusting. It's diametrically opposed to Obama's stance.

Trump is at least trying to save American lives. And Hillary taking a big step in calling them radicals makes me feel better about her leadership during her eight years. These incidents are getting worse and worse and nobody wants to even think about what is coming (if nothing is done) ... a big one in a packed sports stadium. When that happens it will be the end of sports as we know it. And one of the hugest tragedies in the history of the universe. Nobody wants to talk about it and i hesitate to even mention it on a message board but these bastards want more and more dead and packed stadiums provide sitting ducks.