Avisail Garcia

Jose Abreu

That ninth inning at-bat was beautiful. The patience, the approach, his swing... where is that all the time? Usually he'd swing at either the 0-2, 1-2, or 2-2 pitch. If he can display that patience at all times, he can really be an effective hitter. Are his issues all mental?

So the Sox have their biggest comeback win in 14 years last night. Avi gets a big hit to tie it in the 9th, so naturally, a thread started to praise him for the AB, dissolves into a discussion about how much he sucks. Again.

Some of you guys need a new hobby.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
So the Sox have their biggest comeback win in 14 years last night. Avi gets a big hit to tie it in the 9th, so naturally, a thread started to praise him for the AB, dissolves into a discussion about how much he sucks. Again.

Did you even watch the game last night? He played like absolute dogs***....again. All the good will of his game tying hit really disappears when he allowed a few runs defensively.

Avi in the field is atrocious. I hope from time to time that he'll figure out how to hit where he can serve value in a platoon role / DH type role, but he'd have to severely improve offensively and the longer he plays at this level without any sort of sustained success, the less likely. Avi is about the only position player they have shown patience with (outside of Beckham) and part of it is because we haven't had any other even remote options to leverage from our system (with Trayce being the one and he's kicking ass now for the Dodgers).

Avi is so so bad defensively, that he'd have to hit a metric ton to offset his porous defense. He's such a negative defensively, it isn't even funny (and given his tools, I'm not sure how he is so bad in the field, but he just is).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Avi is so so bad defensively, that he'd have to hit a metric ton to offset his porous defense. He's such a negative defensively, it isn't even funny (and given his tools, I'm not sure how he is so bad in the field, but he just is).

Agree totally. How did they scout this guy? Remember there was talk he could play CF when he came over?

Everyone complains about the offense and the lack of big hits or hitting with RISP. Then many complain about Avi. I have pointed this out a lot recently and will continue to do so because the AVi hate is running rampant and it just isn't warranted for his hitting if we actually bother to look at how he hits with RISP.

Best on the Sox (40 AB) hitting .375 , OBP .435 , SLG .600 , OPS 1.035 . Also best on the Sox w/ RISP 2 outs.

b**** all you want about his fielding but when the Sox need a hit with guys on base Avi is best on the team and anyone hoping for his release or demotion (caulfield) is letting their hate for other facets of his game cloud their judgement on his ability to come through in the clutch . He should always be in the middle of the order.

I made pretty much the same points in the off season when there was a backlash against Cespedes, ( buying high, too inconsistent ) and he's the only one of those big 3 OF's who has been very good so far.

Don't tell me what you hit , tell me when you hit. Hawk does have pearls of wisdom every so often. I'll take a guy who hits better with men on base every time . Frazier has been terrible in that regard.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)

well said. Seems when fans try and say something good about the team or a player it just has to dissolve into negativity acid

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
In high leverage situations as defined by baseball reference, he has an OPS of .545.

That tells me nothing. Doesn't tell me how many AB's that covers or what they consider a high leverage situation . Sound bytes like yours are not informative. Try actually communicating with thought and substance.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
That tells me nothing. Doesn't tell me how many AB's that covers or what they consider a high leverage situation . Sound bytes like yours are not informative. Try actually communicating with thought and substance.

one stupid stat deserves another dude. Both 40 ABs. High leverage is a game 7th inning within one run.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Wuh?

Everybody but Eaton hit K-Rod and/or got on base that inning.

Avi struck out in the 11th to Sanchez in 4 pitches.

"The Patience"

He sucks.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

Check out his patience numbers. He is swinging at 12.5% less (5 full percentage points) pitches outside of the strikezone this year. His swing percentage is also down from 59.1% to 55.4%.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

Check out his patience numbers. He is swinging at 12.5% less (5 full percentage points) pitches outside of the strikezone this year. His swing percentage is also down from 59.1% to 55.4%.

So basically he's tried to switch up his approach and he's still not very good. The dude has had some big hits this year but he's just not a good Major League Baseball hitter.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
one stupid stat deserves another dude. Both 40 ABs. High leverage is a game 7th inning within one run.

.How is how you hit with RISP a stupid stat ? Again . Support your case . Use some type of argument besides , "duhhh it's stupid " . So your stat has nothing to do with anything. The bases could be empty, he could be leading off the inning. . I think mine has a little more substance to it.When a team can't hit runs anytime matter just not from the 7th inning on.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
.How is how you hit with RISP a stupid stat ? Again . Support your case . Use some type of argument besides , "duhhh it's stupid " . So your stat has nothing to do with anything. The bases could be empty, he could be leading off the inning. . I think mine has a little more substance to it.When a team can't hit runs anytime matter just not from the 7th inning on.

This is the issue with looking at stats in general. You can manipulate them any way you like to make a point. What one person thinks is important, another does not. This is the issue with WAR and many of those other overall numbers. The people who created them created it with what they though was important. So they are biased toward that line of thinking.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Avi is currently sporting a bWAR of 0.3. That's decent enough for a team that doesn't currently have a better option at DH, but I don't see him being on the 25-man squad next season.

I would bet he isn't even starting at the end of July 31st.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
I would bet he isn't even starting at the end of July 31st.

That would be nice, but I'm not optimistic about Hahn's ability to trade for an impact bat. They don't have much left to trade.

I really wish that Hahn would've been able to get Jon Jay as part of the Shields deal. He would've been a legit #2 hitter and he would allow Ajax to be a fourth outfielder when he returns from surgery/rehab.

Edited by Black_Jack29