2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
i understand people wanting to trade Jimmy for picks, but I just dont want that. This front office doesnt deserve it, i dont want to see them f*** all of this up. I would rather they sit on their hands and the team crash spectacularly into the ground and miss the playoffs again, with a 1/4 filled UC with booing fans at the end of the season.

I dont want Garpax "fixing" this team. I dont want them settling for a s***ty deal with Boston where they dont get that Nets pick, i dont want them making any high picks in the draft, i dont want them doing anything anymore. f*** them.

I guess the question is this. Does trading Jimmy for picks lead to an extended leash for Paxson? Is Gar gone regardless? If Paxson is still here no matter what, then it's either trust Paxson to make good picks, or it's waste the rest of Jimmy's time in Chicago without getting anything back in return.

To me, this is similar to the Sox. The Bulls need to do something. Either that's trying to add another star through trade or FA, or it's moving Butler and starting over in what is supposed to be a loaded draft. In either event, you have to hope that the Bulls' FO doesn't screw it up.

To me, Jaylen Brown, Crowder and the Nets pick in '17 might be enough to get it done. But there's no deal without Brown + the Nets pick in '17 as two of the pieces.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
I guess the question is this. Does trading Jimmy for picks lead to an extended leash for Paxson? Is Gar gone regardless? If Paxson is still here no matter what, then it's either trust Paxson to make good picks, or it's waste the rest of Jimmy's time in Chicago without getting anything back in return.

To me, this is similar to the Sox. The Bulls need to do something. Either that's trying to add another star through trade or FA, or it's moving Butler and starting over in what is supposed to be a loaded draft. In either event, you have to hope that the Bulls' FO doesn't screw it up.

To me, Jaylen Brown, Crowder and the Nets pick in '17 might be enough to get it done. But there's no deal without Brown + the Nets pick in '17 as two of the pieces.

Yea, I don't see it like the sox at all because I have zero faith that Gar could pull off anything similar to the Sale or Eaton trade.

Think about some of the mind boggling stupid decisions that guy has made. He lost Asik for nothing. He traded Korver 4 years ago for nothing, the same Korver that just fetched a first rounder. He traded 2 first rounders for McDermott who it turns out isn't the guy they have been desperately trying to replace, Korver. He signed Dunleavy to a three year deal when Dunleavy wasn't even sure he was going to be able to play again(and really, he hasn't). Teague over the guy his coach wanted. f***ING HOIBERG

Then you go into all of the things he may have done, like telling Butler he was going to give Snell his deal if he didn't accept an offer, the childish power struggle with Thibs for RECOGNITION. Telling the players not to listen to Thibs in his final year.

I'm sure there are many many many more that I'm leaving out. Bottom line, again, is f*** that guy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
i understand people wanting to trade Jimmy for picks, but I just dont want that. This front office doesnt deserve it, i dont want to see them f*** all of this up. I would rather they sit on their hands and the team crash spectacularly into the ground and miss the playoffs again, with a 1/4 filled UC with booing fans at the end of the season.

I dont want Garpax "fixing" this team. I dont want them settling for a s***ty deal with Boston where they dont get that Nets pick, i dont want them making any high picks in the draft, i dont want them doing anything anymore. f*** them.

Totally. I'd rather continue doing what they have been doing rather than giving this group the keys to a rebuild.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Yea, I don't see it like the sox at all because I have zero faith that Gar could pull off anything similar to the Sale or Eaton trade.

Think about some of the mind boggling stupid decisions that guy has made. He lost Asik for nothing. He traded Korver 4 years ago for nothing, the same Korver that just fetched a first rounder. He traded 2 first rounders for McDermott who it turns out isn't the guy they have been desperately trying to replace, Korver. He signed Dunleavy to a three year deal when Dunleavy wasn't even sure he was going to be able to play again(and really, he hasn't). Teague over the guy his coach wanted. f***ING HOIBERG

Then you go into all of the things he may have done, like telling Butler he was going to give Snell his deal if he didn't accept an offer, the childish power struggle with Thibs for RECOGNITION. Telling the players not to listen to Thibs in his final year.

I'm sure there are many many many more that I'm leaving out. Bottom line, again, is f*** that guy

The only real distinction is whether you trust the front office. And I really do agree that there's not a lot of reason to trust this front office. But is there any real indication that the entire GarPax regime is even close to being let go? If doing nothing this year leads to GarPax being going, and the entire front office starting over, then I'm all for sitting out the trade deadline. The Nets' pick in '18 should have tremendous value as well, and the Bulls will still have Butler as an asset to move. But if it's irrelevant? If GarPax is here for another couple years because something something loyalty? Then you have to trust they can get it together.

Superstar trades usually suck because the teams who are buying have mediocre assets to spin off. The fact that the Celtics are holding the Nets' pick, and another young, intriguing asset in Brown makes the current situation unique. IF Brown + the Nets' pick in '17 is on the table, I think the Bulls have to really think about grabbing that deal, and give GarPax a very short leash to not screw it up.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Did I say it would happen?

Can you tell me what Rick Hahn is having for dinner next Thursday if you can tell the future?

At least give him a better question. The answer is obviously the hearts of Nationals fans.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Jeannie Buss fired Jim Buss. Magic Johnson now President of Basketball ops

This guy.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson 31 Oct 2016 I'm impressed w/ the Chicago Bulls starting Rondo, Butler, Wade & MCW off the bench they have the 3rd best group of guards in the league...

In recent memory, perhaps no team is more loaded in assets outside of their roster than the Boston Celtics. Before we even consider what they have in future drafts, don’t forget this team still has 2016 first-round picks Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele overseas — Dancing Bear is one of the best nicknames ever, by the way. Both of those players have a chance to come over next year, too. This season, Yabusele is averaging 21.5 points, 9.5 boards, 2.1 assists, 1.0 blocks, 1.3 steals and 2.0 treys on 54.2 percent from the field and 68.9 percent from the line in China with the Shanghai Sharks. Meanwhile, Zizic is averaging 15.5 points, 7.1 boards, 1.0 assist, 1.1 blocks, 0.5 steals and 2.0 turnovers in 25.5 minutes per game in multiple high-end Euro leagues. Pretty solid. Yabusele projects as a wide-bodied, floor-spacing four with the ability to play the five, which makes him a great fit for the way NBA teams construct rosters now. Zizic is more of a typical five at 7'0", but you can never have enough decent centers, right? Just look at how many bigs have been overpaid in the past few years.

When it comes to the upcoming drafts, Boston is completely stacked. They have what should be the No. 1 lottery position with the Nets unprotected pick in a pick swap (that means Brooklyn gets the Boston pick in the late first), they get the Nets pick unprotected in the 2018 draft, Boston also gets its own picks in the 2018 and 2019 drafts, a 2019 lottery-protected first round Clippers pick, and a top-eight protected Memphis pick in 2019. By the way, they got those picks in the fleecing Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett deal, the Memphis pick from the 2015 Jeff Green deal, and that Clippers pick is from 2016 draft night when they traded the No. 31 and 35 picks to get that upcoming selection.

On top of those, Boston is stacked in the second round. Sparing you some protections here, here are their second-round assets: they have the 2017 second-round picks of the Wolves, Clippers and Cavs. They also have the second-round picks for the Pistons in 2019, and also in 2020 they have the Miami pick in the second round. Crazy. If the protections work out, that’s 13 picks in the next four years!

Chicago is wisely waiting this out to see if Boston will budge and unload some of their picks. With all those draft picks, they almost have to make a move just because they only have 15 roster spots and some of those picks just won't have a spot.

This should be fun.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
In recent memory, perhaps no team is more loaded in assets outside of their roster than the Boston Celtics. Before we even consider what they have in future drafts, don’t forget this team still has 2016 first-round picks Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele overseas — Dancing Bear is one of the best nicknames ever, by the way. Both of those players have a chance to come over next year, too. This season, Yabusele is averaging 21.5 points, 9.5 boards, 2.1 assists, 1.0 blocks, 1.3 steals and 2.0 treys on 54.2 percent from the field and 68.9 percent from the line in China with the Shanghai Sharks. Meanwhile, Zizic is averaging 15.5 points, 7.1 boards, 1.0 assist, 1.1 blocks, 0.5 steals and 2.0 turnovers in 25.5 minutes per game in multiple high-end Euro leagues. Pretty solid. Yabusele projects as a wide-bodied, floor-spacing four with the ability to play the five, which makes him a great fit for the way NBA teams construct rosters now. Zizic is more of a typical five at 7'0", but you can never have enough decent centers, right? Just look at how many bigs have been overpaid in the past few years.

When it comes to the upcoming drafts, Boston is completely stacked. They have what should be the No. 1 lottery position with the Nets unprotected pick in a pick swap (that means Brooklyn gets the Boston pick in the late first), they get the Nets pick unprotected in the 2018 draft, Boston also gets its own picks in the 2018 and 2019 drafts, a 2019 lottery-protected first round Clippers pick, and a top-eight protected Memphis pick in 2019. By the way, they got those picks in the fleecing Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett deal, the Memphis pick from the 2015 Jeff Green deal, and that Clippers pick is from 2016 draft night when they traded the No. 31 and 35 picks to get that upcoming selection.

On top of those, Boston is stacked in the second round. Sparing you some protections here, here are their second-round assets: they have the 2017 second-round picks of the Wolves, Clippers and Cavs. They also have the second-round picks for the Pistons in 2019, and also in 2020 they have the Miami pick in the second round. Crazy. If the protections work out, that’s 13 picks in the next four years!

Chicago is wisely waiting this out to see if Boston will budge and unload some of their picks. With all those draft picks, they almost have to make a move just because they only have 15 roster spots and some of those picks just won't have a spot.

This should be fun.

On a side note: Is there a team in U.S. major sports in a worse position overall than the Brooklyn Nets?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
At this point, it's more likely that Boston lands Paul George by the deadline than Butler. The Bulls and Celtics are farther apart on this than people seem to be reporting. Chicago is not intrigued at all by Boston's latest offer. Unless they have a major change of heart, or another team comes out of left field, Butler will remain a Bull for the rest of the season at least.

I take this back. Celtics have had a change of heart.