2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
. This season, Yabusele is averaging 21.5 points, 9.5 boards, 2.1 assists, 1.0 blocks, 1.3 steals and 2.0 treys on 54.2 percent from the field and 68.9 percent from the line in China with the Shanghai Sharks.

You already put too much effort into Chinese league stats. Nothing against Yabusele, but Jimmer Fredette just dropped like 76 points in a game.

As for the Celtics as a whole, you can't keep 20 guys on a roster, so they have to do something at some point. Guys like Smart and Brown looked better as picks and it's not totally their fault because Boston just has a lot of guys. There's some of that even with the Brooklyn pick this year. 3 of the top 4 prospects are point guards. What are they going to do, bench Thomas?

That's why I do what I can to get Jimmy if I'm them (or Boogie, but it's a little late there). At some point, most of you assets don't look like assets anymore.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
On a side note: Is there a team in U.S. major sports in a worse position overall than the Brooklyn Nets?

If the Lakers don't get a top 3 pick this year, they will be in a pretty sorry position as it would mean that they lose their pick this year and next year (both of which would likely be very high picks).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
whitesoxdave saying the Bulls are trying to add Niko to the deal in order to get the Nets pick back. Weird source, i know, and he is throwing a "TIFWIW" in front of it

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 2h2 hours ago whitesoxdave Retweeted Patrick Hughes

I'm not making s*** up, I was indeed told this, but this is obviously the end game here

If you add TIFWIW in front of any rumor, you're covered. Dave also reported Edwin Encarnacion to Houston was done.

He could be right but he's not a guy who's NBA news gets my attention.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
If the Lakers don't get a top 3 pick this year, they will be in a pretty sorry position as it would mean that they lose their pick this year and next year (both of which would likely be very high picks).

I don't think that is right. I think if they are outside the top 3 this year they lose their pick this year to the 76ers and then their 2019 first round pick could end up going to Orlando (there is some protection on that though). If they are in the top 3 this year then Philly gets their pick next year unprotected.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
I don't think that is right. I think if they are outside the top 3 this year they lose their pick this year to the 76ers and then their 2019 first round pick could end up going to Orlando (there is some protection on that though). If they are in the top 3 this year then Philly gets their pick next year unprotected.

You are right. If the Lakers keep their pick, then it works majorly in there favor as Philly gets next years 1st round pick and the 1st round pick that would have went to Orlando is converted into 2nd round pick(s). So slightly less sorry.

Since I said the negative comment about the Lakers, while I don't like Magic as president (at all), they clearly needed to make a move in their front office, I do like what they did in terms of moving Lou Williams for a 1st (not a great 1st but still a first). I am of the belief that the Bulls need to be moving guys like Lopez / Niko and if they can Doug for 1st round picks as well. If someone wants Portis, I'd move him too (cause I Think he sucks).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
The Sacramento Kings

Steve...if this euro guys you referenced in the prior post are legitimate players, I'd be more open to a deal involving Jaylen Brown, the right to swap with the Nets pick, and both of those euro players plus another future 1st. That said, If I ran the Bulls, the only way I'd make the deal is if we got Jaylen Brown, the right to swap with the Nets, and the Nets future pick. To be honest, I'd probably also want one of the euro guys. I think that is a legitimately fair price for Butler. Everything else I've seen, if I were Ainge, I'd have made those deals in a heart beat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)
Steve...if this euro guys you referenced in the prior post are legitimate players, I'd be more open to a deal involving Jaylen Brown, the right to swap with the Nets pick, and both of those euro players plus another future 1st. That said, If I ran the Bulls, the only way I'd make the deal is if we got Jaylen Brown, the right to swap with the Nets, and the Nets future pick. To be honest, I'd probably also want one of the euro guys. I think that is a legitimately fair price for Butler. Everything else I've seen, if I were Ainge, I'd have made those deals in a heart beat.

I was just pointing out the Kings are f***ed. They simply no longer exist.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 05:12 AM)
I was just pointing out the Kings are f***ed. They simply no longer exist.

They were f***ed either way. This probably gets them closer to actually selecting first in the next few years.

But as long as their owner is involved in basketball decisions, they are going to have to hit the jackpot in the draft for a chance to be decent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)
They were f***ed either way. This probably gets them closer to actually selecting first in the next few years.

But as long as their owner is involved in basketball decisions, they are going to have to hit the jackpot in the draft for a chance to be decent.

You mean like the time they got Demarcus Cousins? You can't expect any better.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 07:42 AM)
You mean like the time they got Demarcus Cousins? You can't expect any better.

Cousins is a coach killer, he isn't Lebron or MJ. He is in his 7th year. Last years 33 wins were the most with him on the team.maybe he won't be a problem in NO, but that would be bucking the trend since high school.

They were horrible with him. They will be more horrible without him, but may be better in 6 or 7 years without him, and paying him $240 million wouldn't have made the situation any better. All that said, they weren't going to suddenly be good. And as long as they have the same decision makers, they either need to be incredibly lucky with no brainer selections or they will just suck anyway. What GM says he had a better offer a couple of days earlier but settled for this one? What owner thinks you can run an NBA team like an 8th grade girls team and get the same results? GarPax has been bad, and deserve to go, but it could be worse. They could be Vlade Divac. The Bulls lost a coin flip with the Lakers once so they wound up with David Greenwood instead of Magic. That sucked, but if they won that flip, they never would have had Michael. Maybe something similar happens here. Cousins is a good player, but he has his issues. Maybe they will become awful enough to get the next guy who really transcends the game. It wasn't like Boogie was going to lead them to the promised land.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
Cousins is a coach killer, he isn't Lebron or MJ. He is in his 7th year. Last years 33 wins were the most with him on the team.maybe he won't be a problem in NO, but that would be bucking the trend since high school.

They were horrible with him. They will be more horrible without him, but may be better in 6 or 7 years without him, and paying him $240 million wouldn't have made the situation any better. All that said, they weren't going to suddenly be good. And as long as they have the same decision makers, they either need to be incredibly lucky with no brainer selections or they will just suck anyway. What GM says he had a better offer a couple of days earlier but settled for this one? What owner thinks you can run an NBA team like an 8th grade girls team and get the same results? GarPax has been bad, and deserve to go, but it could be worse. They could be Vlade Divac. The Bulls lost a coin flip with the Lakers once so they wound up with David Greenwood instead of Magic. That sucked, but if they won that flip, they never would have had Michael. Maybe something similar happens here. Cousins is a good player, but he has his issues. Maybe they will become awful enough to get the next guy who really transcends the game. It wasn't like Boogie was going to lead them to the promised land.

Doesn't mean you trade him for 40 cents on the dollar though

The Boston Celtics' desire to hold onto Jae Crowder may be the "main sticking point" in a potential Jimmy Butler trade with the Chicago Bulls, according to NBA.com's David Aldridge.

During an NBATV interview Tuesday, Aldridge said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge "does not want to give up Jae Crowder."

"That's I think the main sticking point there is that he just does not want to give up Jae Crowder in the deal," Aldridge said. "And that's the guy that Chicago's insisting on right now in any package for Jimmy Butler."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)

Closer to selecting 1st so they can hope to wind up with someone half as good as DeMarcus Cousins?

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
The Boston Celtics' desire to hold onto Jae Crowder may be the "main sticking point" in a potential Jimmy Butler trade with the Chicago Bulls, according to NBA.com's David Aldridge.

During an NBATV interview Tuesday, Aldridge said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge "does not want to give up Jae Crowder."

"That's I think the main sticking point there is that he just does not want to give up Jae Crowder in the deal," Aldridge said. "And that's the guy that Chicago's insisting on right now in any package for Jimmy Butler."

Crowder has been a stud, but if they got Jimmy it's not like he'd get a ton of minutes. I doubt this report is true.

I assume the issue is how many 1st rounders the Bulls get and the inclusion of Brown. Crowder's 27 soon and would never be a reason a Jimmy deal did not go down.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Closer to selecting 1st so they can hope to wind up with someone half as good as DeMarcus Cousins?

Seems hard to believe they can improve upon the 157 games under .500 they have been since drafting Cousins. But I will go with it is possible.

I think they were shortchanged in the trade, they should have received more, but the reality was he had to go. They weren't going to win with him, and they will suck worse without him, but they aren't even mediocre with him, so it really isn't that huge of a deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Seems hard to believe they can improve upon the 157 games under .500 they have been since drafting Cousins. But I will go with it is possible.

I think they were shortchanged in the trade, they should have received more, but the reality was he had to go. They weren't going to win with him, and they will suck worse without him, but they aren't even mediocre with him, so it really isn't that huge of a deal.

The Pelicans have had one season better than 34 wins since Anthony Davis was drafted.

I think you're looking at Cousins being the reason for the Kings being bad instead of looking at the rest of the roster. Since drafting Anthony Davis, the Pelicans have gone 159-226 (41.3%). If you remove the two outlier seasons, it goes down to 39.3%. Does anyone blame that all on AD, or does he get a free pass? He's had a much better cast around him the last three years than Cousins has ever had as well. Cousins gets some technicals so he gets a bad rap. If you isolate every stud who's been stuck on a bad team and blame them, then I guess that's just how you're going to be.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Crowder has been a stud, but if they got Jimmy it's not like he'd get a ton of minutes. I doubt this report is true.

I assume the issue is how many 1st rounders the Bulls get and the inclusion of Brown. Crowder's 27 soon and would never be a reason a Jimmy deal did not go down.

Yeah... Crowder seems to be the easy part of any Celtics deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)

Here is the problem. Do you trust the group that bombed on Niko to develop these guys? I know I don't.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
Doesn't mean you trade him for 40 cents on the dollar though

Bingo. I get the guy is toxic, and he appears to be one of those guys who isn't as good as his numbers because of all of the extra BS that he comes with, but that deal was terrible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
The Pelicans have had one season better than 34 wins since Anthony Davis was drafted.

I think you're looking at Cousins being the reason for the Kings being bad instead of looking at the rest of the roster. Since drafting Anthony Davis, the Pelicans have gone 159-226 (41.3%). If you remove the two outlier seasons, it goes down to 39.3%. Does anyone blame that all on AD, or does he get a free pass? He's had a much better cast around him the last three years than Cousins has ever had as well. Cousins gets some technicals so he gets a bad rap. If you isolate every stud who's been stuck on a bad team and blame them, then I guess that's just how you're going to be.

He has also missed time and it has not been 6 and a half ears of 30 wins being better than normal. They weren't going to win with him. That doesn't excuse the paltry return. But it was time for him to go. Locking into him for 5 or 6 more years at 40 million per would not have made them a contender. The only thing that will is getting g incredibly lucky.

His bad rep is far more than technicals. And it didn't just start with losing with the Kings. He had issues prior to being drafted

Edited by Dick Allen