Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I'm sure there have been studies done, does the extra revenue a stadium brings in ever justify the cost if the city or taxpayers pay for it?

Not really. The overall spending by people on entertainment/events remains more or less the same, it just gets shifted around from say concerts to sporting events. There's usually a small amount of additional annual tax revenues, but it's nothing compared to the subsidies handed out to build the stadium.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/sports-jobs-taxes-are-new-stadiums-worth-the-cost/

27 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Not really. The overall spending by people on entertainment/events remains more or less the same, it just gets shifted around from say concerts to sporting events. There's usually a small amount of additional annual tax revenues, but it's nothing compared to the subsidies handed out to build the stadium.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/sports-jobs-taxes-are-new-stadiums-worth-the-cost/

One thing though is that people in the city often like having the sports team.

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

San Diego was a fine market, they just demanded that the city pony up the cost for a fancy new billion dollar stadium with all the trimmings and the city just wasn't going to pay that. Nor should they.

San Diego was/is a great market and the fan base was pretty big.  It's a travesty that they left honestly.  There were ways of getting this done IMO...and it should have been.  Hell...they could have gotten it done in a handful of years with a slight tourism tax.

speaking of SD...if you're ever in San Diego on Sunday during football season and want to catch a Bears game I HIGHLY recommend 710 Beach Club. Better get there VERY early tho.  Great little Chicago sports bar right next to Crystal Pier.

Edited by Wanne

48 minutes ago, Wanne said:

San Diego was/is a great market and the fan base was pretty big.  It's a travesty that they left honestly.  There were ways of getting this done IMO...and it should have been.  Hell...they could have gotten it done in a handful of years with a slight tourism tax.

speaking of SD...if you're ever in San Diego on Sunday during football season and want to catch a Bears game I HIGHLY recommend 710 Beach Club. Better get there VERY early tho.  Great little Chicago sports bar right next to Crystal Pier.

I've been to 710 BC. It's awesome.

However, I disagree on the SD fan base thing. It's a pretty mediocre fan base. That stadium was consistently filled with 50% or more of the opposition's fans. If they were playing another team with a bad fan base- Panthers, Jags, etc- then there were multiple empty seats.

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

However, I disagree on the SD fan base thing. It's a pretty mediocre fan base. That stadium was consistently filled with 50% or more of the opposition's fans. If they were playing another team with a bad fan base- Panthers, Jags, etc- then there were multiple empty seats.

And now it's even worse fan wise in the stands. It's only a 35k seat stadium, yet every game is majority opponents fans. I think they are actually a really good team this season, but they are essentially playing 16 road games, which is rough. This weekend in London might be their most neutral game.

7 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't know...I've been out there a handful of times to Qualcomm for games and always seemed like a great crowd.  Didn't San Diego State take it over?  Needs to be overhauled for sure...but it wasn't that awful bad.  Just doesn't seem right the Chargers aren't in SD anymore IMO.  LA can support one team...and happy to have the Rams back (where they should be)...but not two teams.  Bad choice all the way around.

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I dont know if it's the ankle or just opposition game planning,  but Mack has been a ghost for the last 6 quarters.

It is probably both. 

The Bears are up 2-0 in turnovers, got 14 points off of them and are still trailing. Shows you just how far away they are from a SB contending team. 

Other than his scrambling, Trubisky has set QBing back 75 years.  

It's also very clear that Jordan Howard is the team's best offensive player today and should get more carries in the 2nd half.

Bears have ZERO pass rush on Brady, which spells trouble.

Good things: O-Line looks good, secondary is playing well under tough circumstances, J-Ho, Burton.

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is probably both. 

The Bears are up 2-0 in turnovers, got 14 points off of them and are still trailing. Shows you just how far away they are from a SB contending team. 

Their best player is non existent, they gave up a special teams TD, and their QB has missed several throws, yet they're still winning.  Shows you just how close they are to being a SB contending team.

See what I did there?

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Their best player is non existent, they gave up a special teams TD, and their QB has missed several throws, yet they're still winning.  Shows you just how close they are to being a SB contending team.

See what I did there?

Notice how listed things they did well and you listed things they did poorly. Doing things poorly and still being in the game is not a positive. They are reasons why they aren't winning. 

For as "quiet" as the D has been, they've mostly been solid. Even with a nothing pass rush today everything has been dink and dunk, two TDs from STs. I'd like to stuff the run a bit better, but NE isn't really exploiting that so no issue.