Michael Brantley to Astros 2/32M

Jose Abreu

4 hours ago, fathom said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1072645611491598336

Sox connected to Brantley again. How will Boras use the Sox to drive up Harper’s price if this happens?

If the Sox sign Brantley, I'd imagine because of Eloy that would take them out of the Harper sweepstakes because Where's he going to play? The only way that works is if the three players rotate through DH like Stanton and Judge. 

9 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Not sure I understand this off-season. Are the Sox 2-3 aging vets and a huge mega star who will command X times the salary of entire roster expecting to compete in 2019? 

No  they aren't trying to compete in 2019 . The Nova signing should 've told us all that.  Barring miraculous seasons from Moncada, Eloy  Giolito, Rodon, Anderson Abreu , Castillo, and the entire bullpen they will not compete even with Harper or Machado. Probably not with Harper and Machado too.

Now if they sign another good starting pitcher or take a chance on Kichuchi's shoulder, trade for a 3rd baseman, put Harper at 1st base,add Brantley and trade Abreu for a CF I MIGHT think they are trying to win in 2019. Even then it would still take some miracle seasons from most of the pitching staff and some trade deadline moves to have a shot in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No  they aren't trying to compete in 2019 . The Nova signing should 've told us all that.  Barring miraculous seasons from Moncada, Eloy  Giolito, Rodon, Anderson Abreu , Castillo, and the entire bullpen they will not compete even with Harper or Machado. Probably not with Harper and Machado too.

Now if they sign another good starting pitcher or take a chance on Kichuchi's shoulder, trade for a 3rd baseman, put Harper at 1st base,add Brantley and trade Abreu for a CF I MIGHT think they are trying to win in 2019. Even then it would still take some miracle seasons from most of the pitching staff and some trade deadline moves to have a shot in the playoffs.

Our pitching staff is still too much of a question mark for the Sox to compete in 2019 regardless of what postion players we manage to sign this offseason.

Rotation help like Cease/Dunning won't be ready until about July/August at the earliest as well.