Ri.Justice still loves the White Sox (or is on JR payroll)

caulfield12

These 5 teams will be better than you think

1. White Sox

You look at the White Sox this spring and see the Cubs, Astros, Royals and Braves from recent seasons. Like those teams, Chicago has so many elite prospects that winning feels inevitable, and in the American League Central, that can happen fast. So even if the White Sox don't sign Bryce Harper after missing out on Manny Machado, they're on the verge of a turnaround. Outfielder Eloy Jimenez is the best of the young prospects on the cusp of the Major Leagues, but outfielder Luis Robert, right-hander Dylan Cease, infielder Nick Madrigal and others have a chance to help the club win in 2019. Also, Yoan Moncada could be in line for a breakout season. If Harper does sign, so much the better. He would draw off enough attention that the youngsters would be able to develop in a somewhat normal environment. Speaking of environment, White Sox manager Rick Renteria might be the most underrated manager in the game.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-that-could-surprise-in-2019

REALLY MOVING UP THAT TIMELINE ON MADRIGAL AND ESPECIALLY ROBERT...sounds familiar though, we've seen this type of thinking over and over again with the White Sox, right?

Edited by caulfield12

29 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The pity party Sox fans are having right now sure is something. Caufield is loving every minute of it. 

And your position is what exactly here?

From my standpoint, there’s only about five posters (Ray Ray, Shack, Eminor, PTAC, Southsider2k5etc.) who haven’t been ripping the front office to shreds.

Balta, Dick Allen, Chitown and Chicago White Sox, not to mention Fathom...have been ripping the front office as well since last Tuesday.  Same with most of the mods like BMAGS and Tony.

Which Sox fans do you know personally who are actually content with the way things have gone this offseason?

This is some real Stockholm Syndrome stuff here to keep giving this front office carte blanche to make mistake after mistake.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

The pity party Sox fans are having right now sure is something. Caufield is loving every minute of it. 

They deserve to get ripped a new asshole, dude. I'm not mad they didn't get Manny, because I never expected him to come here anyway. I'm mad HOW they blew it. The fact they were that close and let the Padres swoop in at the last minute and steal him, was telling. The fact they never offered $300M guaranteed when that is what he wanted to sign, is inexcusable. Everybody knew what it was going to take in November. If you would have told me that the Sox only needed to offer 10/300 in November I would have taken it and run. Any offer less than $300M wasn't serious, which means there was only one team that was actually serious. They lied to the fanbase about multiple things, and it is going to be incredibly difficult for the fans to take these clowns seriously in FA. They've proven they're only  actually in on B-/C+ FA, which is basically dumpster diving. 

That being said, there are valid lifestyle and baseball reasons to choose the Padres over the Sox, so I can't blame Machado for signing there, even if the money was equal. That is all I wanted to see, that the money was equal. I wanted to see if they would go over $300M. When the answer was no, that told me they're not serious about landing elite FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

I agree with both of you here. Losing Machado isn’t what has annoyed me, it’s the Jon Jay signing, the low by modern standards cost and the fact we didn’t lose out in a race we could never win (if Yankees had offered a tonne).

my pre seasons plan had us getting the exact players Caufield mentioned. So I’m disappointed the FO seems to have miss-stepped the whole way though.

wih regards to the article itself, it mentioned SAN Fran having some magical upside, which we all know doesn’t exist. Any other point made in the article therefore comes from someone I can’t trust the opinion of.

Edited by Colinski
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They deserve to get ripped a new asshole, dude. I'm not mad they didn't get Manny, because I never expected him to come here anyway. I'm mad HOW they blew it. The fact they were that close and let the Padres swoop in at the last minute and steal him, was telling. The fact they never offered $300M guaranteed when that is what he wanted to sign, is inexcusable. Everybody knew what it was going to take in November. If you would have told me that the Sox only needed to offer 10/300 in November I would have taken it and run. Any offer less than $300M wasn't serious, which means there was only one team that was actually serious. They lied to the fanbase about multiple things, and it is going to be incredibly difficult for the fans to take these clowns seriously in FA. They've proven they're only  actually in on B-/C+ FA, which is basically dumpster diving. 

That being said, there are valid lifestyle and baseball reasons to choose the Padres over the Sox, so I can't blame Machado for signing there, even if the money was equal. That is all I wanted to see, that the money was equal. I wanted to see if they would go over $300M. When the answer was no, that told me they're not serious about landing elite FA. 

It's like you're living under the delusion that the Sox are a world class organization. This is who the Sox are. This who they've always been. My reaction to all of this has been, "duh."

Like I said earlier, the miss on Machado makes it imperative for the rebuild that either Moncada or Robert develop into a 6+ WAR player. They're the only two capable of pulling it off, because Eloy is probably going to top out at 3-4 WAR because of defensive limitations. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's like you're living under the delusion that the Sox are a world class organization. This is who the Sox are. This who they've always been. My reaction to all of this has been, "duh."

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, with the off chance that JR had decided that he can't take his money with him. I was skeptical but needed to see the whole thing play out to know for sure. I guess, a leopard doesn't change his spots, as they say. Regardless of whether or not they landed a whale, I needed to see a $300M guaranteed offer to feel better about the rebuild. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I said earlier, the miss on Machado makes it imperative for the rebuild that either Moncada or Robert develop into a 6+ WAR player. They're the only two capable of pulling it off, because Eloy is probably going to top out at 3-4 WAR because of defensive limitations. 

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, with the off chance that JR had decided that he can't take his money with him. I was skeptical but needed to see the whole thing play out to know for sure. I guess, a leopard doesn't change his spots, as they say. Regardless of whether or not they landed a whale, I needed to see a $300M guaranteed offer to feel better about the rebuild. 

Don't forget about the pitchers. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So, delusion. Let's pretend that some of the prospects develop into As caliber players. You think the Sox are going to sign a big name FA? Shit no. They're going to package the remaining prospects to try and get a star with a couple years left on his deal. They're going to sign vets with bad reputations or guys that might have a productive year left. this is who the Sox are. The Sox aren't going to magically become a big market player. Bridgeport isn't suddenly going to become a nice neighborhood and whatever they're calling the ball mall isn't suddenly going to be the hip, new destination for baseball fans in the area. There's a hundred years of history to tell you all this. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Just now, bryank1202 said:

The sox since 2007 have been the Cubs of the 90s, a franchise that sucked and was a joke.  The current Cubs remind of the Sox from the 90s I grew up watching  but I can't switch.

The current Cubs have 1-upped the Sox from the 90s. They already have made as many playoff appearances in 4 seasons as the Sox made in 20. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

So, delusion. Let's pretend that some of the prospects develop into As caliber players. You think the Sox are going to sign a big name FA? Shit no. They're going to package the remaining prospects to try and get a star with a couple years left on his deal. They're going to sign vets with bad reputations or guys that might have a productive year left this is who the Sox are. The Sox aren't going to magically become a big market player. Bridgeport isn't suddenly going to become a nice neighborhood and whatever they're calling the ball mall isn't suddenly going to be the hip, new destination for baseball fans in the area. There's a hundred years of history to tell you all this. 

That is why I never expected them to land him. The issue for me comes down to the fact they never made a competitive offer. All I needed to see was that one report that they guaranteed at least $300M in an offer and regardless of whether or not they landed him, it would be acceptable. If you want to be a small market team, fine. The issue is they half ass being both a mid market and small market team. They don't spend the money to land an elite FA when it makes sense, which is what a mid market team would do, and they don't spend the money on scouting/player development/analytics/International FA like a small market team should. They need to pick a fucking lane and act accordingly. If you're going to be a small market team, fine. Go do it like the Rays and A's. If you're going to be a mid market team, fine. Go do it like the Cardinals. Quit trying to straddle the line. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Sports fans are weird. "I didn't expect them to land the guy, but God damn it, I'm furious they didn't."

Again, it wasn't THAT they didn't land him, it was WHY they didn't land him, and the fact they lied to the fanbase. 

Again, they need to pick a fucking lane and commit to it. Do that and be honest with the fans about it. I'm more mad about the lying than anything else to be honest. As long as our expectations are set accordingly, that is all that matters. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

And your position is what exactly here?

From my standpoint, there’s only about five posters (Ray Ray, Shack, Eminor, PTAC, Southsider2k5etc.) who haven’t been ripping the front office to shreds.

Balta, Dick Allen, Chitown and Chicago White Sox, not to mention Fathom...have been ripping the front office as well since last Tuesday.  Same with most of the mods like BMAGS and Tony.

Which Sox fans do you know personally who are actually content with the way things have gone this offseason?

This is some real Stockholm Syndrome stuff here to keep giving this front office carte blanche to make mistake after mistake.

The front office has been terrible. I'm just not mad about it. It's expected. I'm just not under the delusion that I can change that and, as such, I have realistic expectations.