MLB considering no crowds allowed on Opening Day?

caulfield12

Knowing what we know as of today, should Opening Days go ahead in front of empty stadiums?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Opening Day without fans, yay or nay?

• Start on time without fans in order to maintain a 154/162 game schedule
    • No fans, no game, no revenues...wait until the situation improves (anticipating the impact it will have on pitchers)
    • Start as normal....tune out all outside news for two weeks

Just now, YoYoIsMyHero said:

At what point do we get worried about baseball postponing the season? 

Gobert tested positive and there’s your first actual player. Do we think any of the MLB players want to be next and then take it home to their families?

11 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I think I should probably change my vote. No games sounds like the plan

You can keep pitchers in extended spring trying to simulate ramping up of workloads...but not sure for how long.

Otherwise, you’re going to see the same results as those free agents waiting until midseason to sign, which has been historically pretty abysmal.

Then you have service time issues, contract incentives based on 162 game seasons... 

All that said, containing the spread has to take precedence...but mitigation is more correct, because it’s hard to imagine testing catching up with the rapid spread at this point in time. 

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rudy Gobert should be suspended forever.  He's positive for corona.

In China, they were threatening the death penalty or at least 20-30 years in jail for having the virus and intentionally spitting at or coughing on someone.  Basically, attempted murder or at least manslaughter.   It happened on a Thai Airways flight from Bangkok to Pudong/Shanghai this past Friday, where a Chinese passenger flipped out and starting coughing on flight attendants just to get off the plane after being stuck waiting to deplane for seven hours.

Right behind Gobert is Congressman Gaetz from FL, wearing the gas mask into the House to make light of the “hysteria.”  That’s not aging well, especially if he tests positive and has spread it to the President and other Cabinet members while on Air Force One.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rudy Gobert should be suspended forever.  He's positive for corona.

If people hadn’t been clowning me for week for being too nervous about this I’d be inclined to agree. 

But it’s in our nature to try and shrug things off. Like I said, maybe now we can begin taking this crisis seriously. 

I am not one who shrugged the Corona virus off or promoted it.  I just wanted the Opener to happen on March 26 because I have tickets and am really excited for the Sox this year. Now I am getting concerned that it may not happen. That would be insane but it is now a possibility.

Somebody with some credibility across the growing divisions in our country needs to calm the nation down. Tom Hanks who tested positive is the kind of person that could be helpful to place the Corona virus in perspective.  i.e., I am 63, had the Corona illness, it was like the flu and I recovered after a few days.  I am tired of seeing government officials and media reports that do nothing but make people anxious and uncertain. 

Having said that, I would understand some temporary draconian measures to halt the spread of this sh1t before thousands and then millions potentially  get sick when it could otherwise have been mitigated with some sensible planning.

Edited by tray

12 minutes ago, tray said:

I am not one who shrugged the Corona virus off or promoted it.  I just wanted the Opener to happen on March 26 because I have tickets and am really excited for the Sox this year. Now I am getting concerned that it may not happen. That would be insane but it is now a possibility.

Somebody with some credibility across the growing divisions in our country needs to calm the nation down. Tom Hanks who tested positive is the kind of person that could be helpful to place the Corona virus in perspective.  i.e., I am 63, had the Corona illness, it was like the flu and I recovered after a few days.  I am tired of seeing government officials and media reports that do nothing but make people anxious and uncertain. 

Having said that, I would understand some temporary draconian measures to halt the spread of this sh1t before thousands and then millions potentially  get sick when it could otherwise have been mitigated with some sensible planning.

So here’s the thing - a vast majority of people who get this will not need to go to a doctor in their recovery. But a good percentage are.

This virus appears to be very contagious. The bigger the spread, the more that smaller percentage of people needing hospitalization becomes an actual larger number.

if that happens too quickly, there is not enough capacity in our hospitals to help them. That’s what happened in Italy, that’s what happened in Wuhan. 

So a whole bunch of people died because they could not get the medical attention needed because capacity was overwhelmed.

Rudy Gobert will be fine. But his idiocy means a whole number more people may get it, and increase the likelihood of a surge. And yeah, I hope if I get in a car crash at the same time I can get medical treatment because there are hospital beds.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rudy Gobert will be fine. But his idiocy means a whole number more people may get it, and increase the likelihood of a surge. And yeah, I hope if I get in a car crash at the same time I can get medical treatment because there are hospital beds.

OTOH, if this is the thing that gets the regular people who have been saying this is no big deal to suddenly say "whoa wait a minute maybe this is serious", Rudy Gobert could have just saved a ton of lives.

I have to go out tomorrow to pick up my 90 day prescription supplies, but I'm going to start hiding tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

OTOH, if this is the thing that gets the regular people who have been saying this is no big deal to suddenly say "whoa wait a minute maybe this is serious", Rudy Gobert could have just saved a ton of lives.

I have to go out tomorrow to pick up my 90 day prescription supplies, but I'm going to start hiding tomorrow.

Let’s give Tom hanks that credit.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

So here’s the thing - a vast majority of people who get this will not need to go to a doctor in their recovery. But a good percentage are.

This virus appears to be very contagious. The bigger the spread, the more that smaller percentage of people needing hospitalization becomes an actual larger number.

if that happens too quickly, there is not enough capacity in our hospitals to help them. That’s what happened in Italy, that’s what happened in Wuhan. 

So a whole bunch of people died because they could not get the medical attention needed because capacity was overwhelmed.

The New Rochelle, NY, case was a passing of it to over fifty in a matter of days.   Biogen conference in Boston...and all those attendees traveled all over the US.   Almost everyone inside of Kirkland assisted living, staff and residents.  Heck, ten nursing homes now in Washington state, alone.

The record here, btw, was one brain surgery patient infecting 14 doctors/nurses/anesthesiologists.

And another problem was the sheer chaos when everyone descended on hospitals waiting to be tested or for results...mixing together with the patients who were already sick but not yet critical/isolated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/think-doesnt-matter-catch-coronavirus-220536065.html

Flattening Curve discussion...

Edited by caulfield12