Indians will be no more

southsider2k5

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you think you learned a non-white washed Native American history then I really can't help you. I can link you some books if you'd like to read about real history - not just the few incidents we felt the need to teach. For example, did you know we are occupying vast land that we agreed to give up in many agreements? That we have robbed and pillaged native Communities within the last 100 years?

Why do you care what the Cleveland baseball team is named? Why is it so difficult for people like you to have some respect for people who disagree with you and feel strongly about something that is personal to them but not to you? It's truly baffling. 

Oh, and what tribe was Chief Black Hawk a part of? I'm sure you'll look it up now, but the point remains.

Should Minnesota be forced to change the name of their football team that portrays nordic people of the past as warrior driven vikings, when in reality many were peaceful farmers?  How is that portrayal of a people any different than portraying Indians as great warriors? Do you think cleveland picked that name to demean natives? 

I dont care what hypersensitive, constantly offended people say or think. I cant imagine living life constantly worrying about that. Seems like an awful life. You act like all native americans are offended by the name, but even with the more offensive redskins name at most half were.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Thats exactly what youre doing also. Rather than acknowledging one studies results you just bring up another without any context or explanation. Just heres another study that contradicts yours. It comes off as you being dismissive of the study you dont like. 

You can't acknowledge that your study was done and funded by a team with some serious bias, and that even in that study 10% of Native's were offended. Why do you want to offend 10% of any group of people just to maintain a teams pointless name?

Just now, ChiSox1917 said:

Should Minnesota be forced to change the name of their football team that portrays nordic people of the past as warrior driven vikings, when in reality many were peaceful farmers?  How is that portrayal of a people any different than portraying Indians as great warriors? Do you think cleveland picked that name to demean natives? 

I dont care what hypersensitive, constantly offended people say or think. I cant imagine living life constantly worrying about that. Seems like an awful life. You act like all native americans are offended by the name, but even with the more offensive redskins name at most half were.  

You're white I'm guessing; which literally explains this. It's very easy to not be offended when you've been the one committing atrocities for the duration of mankind. I know, because nothing offends me, because I've had a leg up in pretty much every aspect of life.

And again, you are acting offended that they're changing the team name when you have NO CONNECTION to the team or the name. That makes you significantly more "soft" than people who feel they are being exploited by professional organizations who don't care one bit about educating fans on Native History; because they actually have skin in the game. You have none, yet here you are getting outraged that other people have feelings that aren't the same as yours. Amazing you don't see the irony in that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

All team names sound stupid at first. 

The Detroit Lions? Are there a lot of Lions in Detroit?

The Chicago White Sox? THat's like calling the Indians the Blue Pants. 

Chicago Bulls? Yes, all the Bulls running around the Midwest. 

It's grown men throwing, kicking, hitting, a ball for fake points in almost all sports. It's all silly

Lions wanted to be the "monarch of the league" like how lions are king of the jungle. Also to tie into the Tigers.

White Sox is because it hearkens to when teams were named after the colors of their socks - the late 1800s. They just needed something to differentiate the teams. The Chicago White Stockings (later Cubs) had existed in the market and Comiskey wanted to take advantage of the abandoned brand.

Bulls is a reference to the Chicago meat industry.

So dumb lolll.  I love people that are unrelated to the "issue" tell everyone how we should feel about the issue.  I remember when the Redskins were changing their name there was a poll specifially asking native americans if they found it offensive and wanted a name change.. Some insanely high number like 80-90% (don't remember exact) said "No, and that they didn't find it offensive or wanted a change"... Our world sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I dont care what hypersensitive, constantly offended people say or think. I cant imagine living life constantly worrying about that. Seems like an awful life. 

It used to be called being polite and well mannered. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You can't acknowledge that your study was done and funded by a team with some serious bias, and that even in that study 10% of Native's were offended. Why do you want to offend 10% of any group of people just to maintain a teams pointless name?

My study?  Didnt realize i am now the washington post.

i dont want to offend anyone. I just dont give af if i inadvertently do so. And i think people in general need to stop purposefully looking for things to be offended by - because thats exactly what this has become. And by giving in to those types of peoples demands, it encourages others to dig through society for things to become outraged by. It creates a culture of victimhood. 

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So dumb lolll.  I love people that are unrelated to the "issue" tell everyone how we should feel about the issue.  I remember when the Redskins were changing their name there was a poll specifially asking native americans if they found it offensive and wanted a name change.. Some insanely high number like 80-90% (don't remember exact) said "No, and that they didn't find it offensive or wanted a change"... Our world sucks.

Isn't this exactly what you're doing?

My stance is I don't give a shit about team names, but I respect the people who actually are related to the issue and do care. So if they are going to change it to not offend even 10 people, I'm all good with it because again... it means nothing to me. That's what it actually means when you "don't care."

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

The translation here is that even if Native Americans are offended, your opinion matters more because you're a big strong man who doesn't care even though you clearly do.

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

i dont want to offend anyone. I just dont give af if i inadvertently do so. And i think people in general need to stop purposefully looking for things to be offended by - because thats exactly what this has become. And by giving in to those types of peoples demands, it encourages others to dig through society for things to become outraged by. It creates a culture of victimhood. 

You don't want to offend anyone, you're just offended when they tell you that it's offensive to them. Makes sense. Keep that logic flowing.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Isn't this exactly what you're doing?

My stance is I don't give a shit about team names, but I respect the people who actually are related to the issue and do care. So if they are going to change it to not offend even 10 people, I'm all good with it because again... it means nothing to me.

I'm just using the numbers. Yeah, cancel culture sucks. If we change EVERYTHING because 10-20% of the people are offended, then nothing will ever be allowed to stick.  It's lame.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So dumb lolll.  I love people that are unrelated to the "issue" tell everyone how we should feel about the issue. 

Yet here we are telling each other how we feel. I'm a white guy living in Texas is there a list of issues I can feel about?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You're white I'm guessing; which literally explains this. It's very easy to not be offended when you've been the one committing atrocities for the duration of mankind. I know, because nothing offends me, because I've had a leg up in pretty much every aspect of life.

And again, you are acting offended that they're changing the team name when you have NO CONNECTION to the team or the name. That makes you significantly more "soft" than people who feel they are being exploited by professional organizations who don't care one bit about educating fans on Native History; because they actually have skin in the game. You have none, yet here you are getting outraged that other people have feelings that aren't the same as yours. Amazing you don't see the irony in that.

Sounds pretty racist to say whites have been committing atrocities for the duration of mankind. Do you think other races havent? Do you know where the origin of the word slave comes from? Have you studied any of the atrocities committed in asia or africa that had nothing to do with whites? Or are you one of these modern day “white people are responsible for all the worlds ills” racists?

FTR, im not offended in the slightest. I just think its stupid. 

stay mad bro

In regards to the name change ...

It's quite easy for people to show their colors when these type of topics emerge. Generally you see one sentence responses from those who are against it. 

Name change: "what's next giving away participation trophies to all teams too?" It's a canned, quick response with little thought of considering all angles because those people can't actually go through the analysis and consider all people's feelings. Why? Cause 'Murica!

The truth is somewhere in the middle usually & in this case can it be construed as offensive? If the answer is yes, and quite easily yes, then just pick one of the 170,000 other words at your disposal. It's really not a big deal. It's 2021 (almost) -- i can see how it's offensive for a bunch of non Native Americans to sit around doing the "chop" chant at a baseball game. If you can't see that, then you need to do a better job reading and studying history of America. This isn't white guilt or that it openly offends me, it's just there are 170k other words, just pick a different one. Does picking a new team name fix anything? no. But it does bring attention to the subject which maybe helps people become educated on a subject matter they weren't previously educated on.  

https://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/native-american-timeline

Just imagine if the shoe were on the other foot. we were in America, and someone else came in and just started killing/going to war with you to conquer the land you lived on -- until basically there was nothing left. And then we were put on reservations and slowly rotted becoming just a shell of our former ancestors. Then the people who did this to you made a baseball team with a cartoon of your faces and named their team The Cleveland Anglos and did chants while they sat around and ate hot dogs while there was no apparent connection to why they had to be called the Cleveland Anglos. ... 

Again, pick one of the other 170,000 words. 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm just using the numbers. Yeah, cancel culture sucks. If we change EVERYTHING because 10-20% of the people are offended, then nothing will ever be allowed to stick.  It's lame.

You're not using the numbers; your actually cherry picking numbers to fit your narrative in order to make yourself feel better about your opinion.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It used to be called being polite and well mannered. 

Big difference between being polite and well mannered and walking on eggshells to avoid any form of offense.  

if theres no intent to offend, than the offended party should stfu and get over it. This goes for pretty much everything in life. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You don't want to offend anyone, you're just offended when they tell you that it's offensive to them. Makes sense. Keep that logic flowing.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

The translation here is that even if Native Americans are offended, your opinion matters more because you're a big strong man who doesn't care even though you clearly do.

This is some pretty poor projection on both of your parts. Voicing a disagreement isnt the same as claiming im offended by something. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Sounds pretty racist to say whites have been committing atrocities for the duration of mankind. Do you think other races havent? Do you know where the origin of the word slave comes from? Have you studied any of the atrocities committed in asia or africa that had nothing to do with whites? Or are you one of these modern day “white people are responsible for all the worlds ills” racists?

stay mad bro

You're clearly offended; you're here in this thread arguing against a decision that impacts your life nilch. You're so offended you felt the need to seek out a study that agreed with you. You're arguing with posters whose opinion is "good with me, I got no skin in the game and might as well be respectful with something that means nothing to me."

Racist lolololol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ChiSox1917 said:

This is some pretty poor projection on both of your parts. Voicing a disagreement isnt the same as claiming im offended by something. 

Man, the point is going right over your head.

You're upset that natives have an opinion on something that directly impacts them. It bothers you so much so that you're here arguing against their opinion, telling them to be stronger lol. Yet, you're offended by the same thing and it has no direct impact on your life. Truly amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

stay mad bro

In a thread about changing the name "Indians" to respect Native Americans - including Native American leaders who have been cited in this thread.

You decide to argue that non-white people can do racist things (which yes, clearly that is a thing). So because you don't get offended you resort to whataboutism. Because you totally don't get offended at all. Because you're not at all triggered about the name of a baseball team getting changed - and it's not even your team.

Grow up or stay mad, broski.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Big difference between being polite and well mannered and walking on eggshells to avoid any form of offense.  

if theres no intent to offend, than the offended party should stfu and get over it. This goes for pretty much everything in life. 

So once you know you are offending someone you should continue to do so? I'm not certain that is the polite and well mannered thing to do. At least not in my social circles. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Man, the point is going right over your head.

You're upset that natives have an opinion on something that directly impacts them. It bothers you so much so that you're here arguing against their opinion, telling them to be stronger lol. Yet, you're offended by the same thing and it has no direct impact on your life. Truly amazing. 

Am i not allowed to have an opinion?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You're clearly offended; you're here in this thread arguing against a decision that impacts your life nilch. You're so offended you felt the need to seek out a study that agreed with you. You're arguing with posters whose opinion is "good with me, I got no skin in the game and might as well be respectful with something that means nothing to me."

Racist lolololol

I didnt seek out any studies. Youre mixing me up with another poster. 

and yeah, attributing all the worlds atrocities to white people is racist 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

i dont want to offend anyone. I just dont give af if i inadvertently do so. 

Let me help you with this word.

Inadvertent means to unintentionally do something. Like when my mother asked the woman at the dentist office how far along she was in her pregnancy when she wasn't pregnant; that is inadvertently offensive. If my mom then went back to the dentists office every time after that and continued to ask that question, it's no longer inadvertent. So, when they made the Indians name they were likely inadvertently offending people. After being told repeatedly that it is offensive to them, if they continued to refer to themselves as Indians, it now becomes deliberately offensive. So if you truly don't want to deliberately offend people, as you are claiming in this thread, then why do you keep posting in defiance?

Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

• Like 1