Baseball Weekly sez

winninguglyin83

Carl would be a good fit IMO for that DH role with Franks absence. It also seemed like EVERYONE loved him in the clubhouse when he came to the Sox, brought a good vibe. Dont think it can hurt.

Precisely. Having a reliable, everyday bat in the lineup at DH is key right now. I know we have Maggs back and everything but Timo or Gload DH'ing just isn't going to cut it. This also leads me to believe that the Sox are assuming Frank is going under the knife and is lost for the year. And to go along with what you said, he is a strong clubhouse presence and that is pretty much what this team is all about so I'm sure he'd fit well. Maybe fill a little of the void in the clubhouse from when MO left. All of this being said, if they are just going after a rental player I would like them make a push for Finley.

Sounds kinda crazy, but I really think Beltran creates more problems then he would help on this team. Im happy with A-row in CF right now, solid D, with an ok bat, and doesnt make much $$$. Beltran comes in, you know he is going to play CF every day, dont know where that leaves A-row, and Borchard for that matter. Beltran is obviously a great player, but I think it could be to much shifting around for the teams good.

Carl on the other hand wont cost us THAT much, and will basically im sure just play DH in the time Frank is gone, and is a decent LH bat that we need.

Again I agree. This is all very tough speculation but I just thought of something else. Maybe the reason they are even considering Beltran is because we have so many games left against the AL Central, a division he obviously knows very well. People have knocked his .265 average over in the NL but that is understandable, new pitchers, new parks. I know we still have a ridiculous amount of divisional games left and Beltran would be ideal for that particular situation, but yes it would cost us a lot, BUT I want to win.

Sounds kinda crazy, but I really think Beltran creates more problems then he would help on this team. Im happy with A-row in CF right now, solid D, with an ok bat, and doesnt make much $$$. Beltran comes in, you know he is going to play CF every day, dont know where that leaves A-row, and Borchard for that matter. Beltran is obviously a great player, but I think it could be to much shifting around for the teams good.

Carl on the other hand wont cost us THAT much, and will basically im sure just play DH in the time Frank is gone, and is a decent LH bat that we need.

Leaves Maggs DHing, Rowand in RF.

Rowand has more range than Maggs in RF, and a stronger arm too.

Everett would be a good pickup, as long as it didn't cost much anything. He can DH while Thomas is gone and then platoon in the outfield once he's back.

As far as Beltran goes, I'd rather see Johnson, unless the Astros are willing to do a deal for Rauch, Borchard, and one other prospect (not a Sweeney/Anderson).

my preferences:

1. Randy Johnson. If you get to October, you gotta have a stud. He can dominate a playoff series.

2. Carlos Beltran. Gives us a centerfielder, a left-handed bat and a guy who can steal bases. But after this season, Scott Boras is taking him away.

3. Carl Everett. He's slipping, he's outta shape and he's shaky in the outfield.

Leaves Maggs DHing, Rowand in RF.

Rowand has more range than Maggs in RF, and a stronger arm too.

I think that's the best scenario out there. We have upgrade the defense of our outfield. We would then have three guys with good to great range and good to great arms. Additionally, all those guys can hit.

Not sure if this was said or not but Carl is signed passed this year( :puke ). That leaves no interest for me in him. Especially since I think his contract is worth about 7 to 8 million per year.

No, I believe he's owed 4.5 mill next year.

If the Sox go after Beltran, Rowand could play RF and have Maggs DH. While it may cost the Sox a few prospects, they'd get 2 compensation draft picks to help restock the system. It would be interesting to see what Hou. would be looking for in terms of minor leaguers. Probably a top OFer, and a SP. You cna never have too many arms.

But I don't see Hou. dropping off the face of the earth in only 2 weeks time.

Let's go after Bartolo Colon or Sidney Ponson.

Really Carl Everett might be a good fit and he is not too expensive. I think he could sub in the OF and DH. I like what Aaron Rowand has been doing though. I really think we will be looking more at a middle relief pitcher and a catcher rather than OF help.

Let's go after Bartolo Colon or Sidney Ponson.

Really Carl Everett might be a good fit and he is not too expensive. I think he could sub in the OF and DH. I like what Aaron Rowand has been doing though. I really think we will be looking more at a middle relief pitcher and a catcher rather than OF help.

You're right, it's not really OF help the sox need. If Frank is gone for most of the year, the sox need a solid hitter no matter his position [i'm on the Kendall bandwagon myself]. Beltran would be the top of the order guy, who happens to play CF. That would put Maggs at DH, to help his knee heal fully. Or Lee could DH and Rowand play LF. Whoever the Sox get, Rowand will be playing fulltime. He wouldn't be benched like in years past.

obviously if kenny can get unit somehow, that would put us over the top. having said that, beltran is a complete stud and the only problem he would bring is getting number 15 away from sandy. he might only be hitting .265 with the astros, but look at the difference he has made on their team, that catch, the entire series against the cubs. i love rowand but he takes a back seat to carlos beltran.

I completely agree Tony. I would actually shoot for Everett anyway. Everyone here complains at what we give up for people. Beltran would cost us alot. Everett on the other hand, is cheap and would cost us Middle to lower prospects. He wants out of Montreal and back in the race and the A league. He was a good player for us, and will DH. Its a good cheap but effective move. I also think, he might be part of a package that may bring us another pitcher.

Personally I think Beltran is out of the picture.