MVP Baseball 2005

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN makes a HORRIBLE Baseball video game. There other 3 sports all dominate EA, but MVP hands down kicks ESPN's ass in baseball.

Fix player devolpment in the game, and MVP 2005 will be great.

:huh: what the f***?!?

you cant seriously think ESPN owns EA in any sports games

ESPN games suck ass, I bought ESPN NFL 2K5 and was so disgusted with it a few days later bought Madden

It is a nice attempt with the $20 games, but it doesnt compare.. EA owns all, hands down

I'm still waiting for a baseball video game that comes close to doing what Madden does for football. Last year's game was decent but the lefty glitch and player development ruined it.

Also, I wonder if the situation of the DC Nationals/Montreal Expos will be resolved in time for this game to get all the aspects of that organization worked out.

I hope they do away with the whole, sign players for 3 years @133K. Sometimes you could insane players like Marcus Giles to sign for that. And if they added arbitration as well, they would just make it more realistic, but maybe they could have that option as a GM mode or something, and you can turn it on or off, just like OOTP.

I still play 2004 farily frequently. I found to make the game more exciting a buddy and I use the following settings:

Fielding - Manual

Strike Zone - Off

Hot/Cold Zones - Off

Pitch Cursor - Off

Fielding Aid - On

Turning off all the strike zones and pitch cursor make hitting much more difficult.

Aspects of gameplay I would like to see improved upon are:

1. Pickoffs - It is virtually impossible to pick a player off if they slide to the back of the bag. The 1B needs to have better ability to place a tag on a sliding runner.

2. Stolen Bases - It is way too hard to throw runners out because you can't keep runners honest (see above) and because fielders cannot apply a tag to a headfirst slide to the bag of the bag.

3. Tag plays - This is related to the two above, but not just limited to those two situations. Fielders don't straddle the bag properly which would allow them to make sweep tags on runners coming in. Too often the ball beats the runner, but the runner is safe merely because the fielder could not tag him in time, when he should have been able to easily.

4. Fly balls - The outfielders (and infielders going out on a pop up) catch too many balls. 1B can't realistically go halfway up the RF line to catch a pop up routinely. Occasionaly, fine, but not every time. If you get the fielder close, he makes a spectacular catch every time. Perhaps turning the fielding aid off will help on this. I haven't tried it. Any thoughts?

5. Better Ground Ball AI - This may not be fixable, but it is frustrating when a ground ball is hit in the hold between two fielders and the fielder the computer places the cursor on is the wrong one. Some "tweeners" could go either way, but sometimes it will place the cursor on the 1B or 3B when that player clearly has no chance to get to it and the SS/2B is the obvious fielder. If the ball is hit hard enough, it is difficult to get the cursor switched to the porper fielder in time.

6. LH Glitch - I noticed it was much more difficult hitting HR left-handed, but hadn't really thought of it as a glitch. It is very difficult to pull the ball left-handed, whether for power or not. I did find that you can get HR out of some LH hitters by focusing on going the other way, however.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I don't get into Dynasty Mode much, because my buddy and I like to be different teams, often playing randomly chosen games.

That said, if anyone ever wants to play a game online sometime with the above settings, I am more than up for it. I never play the computer at all, so I don't play it too often. PM me if interested in setting up a game.

:huh:  what the f***?!?

you cant seriously think ESPN owns EA in any sports games

ESPN games suck ass, I bought ESPN NFL 2K5 and was so disgusted with it a few days later bought Madden

It is a nice attempt with the $20 games, but it doesnt compare.. EA owns all, hands down

No, Tony is right. I would never buy a ESPN baseball game but I sure as hell would buy all their other games. Have you even played NBA 2k5? College 2k5? It owns March Maddness and Live in any way possible. Live has some of the worst graphics that NBA Live 2003 has better. ESPN 2k5 may not own EA in the graphics category, but it sure as hell does it gameplay.

Both College and NBA Bball games kick ESPN's ass.

NHL 2005 IS A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE GAME! It is soooooo bad. I didnt like ESPN hockey to much, but much better than NHL 2005.

Football is a debate that will never end. All I'll say is this. There is a reason EA bought the rights to the NFL  rights. They knew ESPN was making a better game, so they flexed there muscles and bought the license.

Just because I feel like agruing...what the f*** do people see in the ESPN NFL game? It is complete and total trash.

Are you f***ing serious?

The gameplay in that game is s***.  The only thing ESPN is good for is some s***ty looking character that is supposed to be Madden doing the halftime show.  :lol:

The gameplay completely sucks.

Not really, I own them both and haven't played Madden since the first week I got it.

That's probably because you like the graphics.

Seriously, there is no realistic way to say the gameplay is better, that is just a complete joke.

Sure their is, check out all the reviews. Why in the world do you think EA lowered their price? They wanted to compete with ESPN because it is selling more and they needed to do something.

Both College and NBA Bball games kick ESPN's ass.

NHL 2005 IS A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE GAME! It is soooooo bad. I didnt like ESPN hockey to much, but much better than NHL 2005.

Football is a debate that will never end. All I'll say is this. There is a reason EA bought the rights to the NFL  rights. They knew ESPN was making a better game, so they flexed there muscles and bought the license.

The ESPN Basketball games are better ill give you that... but the NFL game is nothing compared to Madden..

ESPN NFL 2K5 is not fun at all, there are so many gay things about it.. The reason EA bought out the rights to all that s*** is because ESPN was cutting into their sales by pricing it at $20..

Who wouldnt try that over Madden? I know I did, and after a few days of playing I traded the game back in for $5 and bought Madden, and was completely satisfied..

ok, ok this is an arguement that will never be won.

some like ea some like espn.

let's not get 50 pages of that crap.

bty- ign has an article on espn mlb, it's suppossed to be all rebuilt from the ground up.

new developer (kush/nhl) new everything.

worth a rental, imo before spending the extra 30 bucks on mvp.

bty- ign has an article on espn mlb, it's suppossed to be all rebuilt from the ground up. 

new developer  (kush/nhl)  new everything.

worth a rental, imo  before spending the extra 30 bucks on mvp.

Exactly.

new developer  (kush/nhl)  new everything.

worth a rental, imo  before spending the extra 30 bucks on mvp.

If MVP fixes the LH glitch and the Minors than I will buy the game without a doubt..

That is what I am hoping for. I seriously only hit like 3 HRs last year with a lefty the entire time I had it.

I hit one, and it was like a 450 foot line drive with Lance Berkman

That pissed me off so much..

Oh and would it kill them to make a REAL MONEY system like they have in Madden, I can never understand why these other EA games go by points and s***... YOU DID IT FOR MADDEN, FOR CHRIST SAKES DO IT ON THE OTHERS!!!!!

man that pisses me off :angry:

Oh and would it kill them to make a REAL MONEY system like they have in Madden, I can never understand why these other EA games go by points and s***... YOU DID IT FOR MADDEN, FOR CHRIST SAKES DO IT ON THE OTHERS!!!!!

man that pisses me off  :angry:

Haha, I remember signing ARod for the maximum, it was like 7,700 points :lol:

man that pisses me off  :angry:

i think i've read that it has to do with the MLBPA

edit: found this for last years

Operation Sports: Are contracts represented in dollars or "points"?

MVP Baseball 2004 Team: Contracts will be represented using the same “points” scheme as last year. Currently, a decision by the MLBPA prohibits us from expressing contracts in real dollars.

Edited by Tmar28