Ozzie it's not a sin for Marte to face a RH

JUGGERNAUT

I would like to see Marte emerge as that guy. His splits: RH .221, 10K, ERA 3.27. LH .220, 12K, ERA 0.00. He gave up 4R in April, & 1R in May. Give the guy a break!

It should be a sin to leave Viz in there with 2 on. LH .441, 1K. RH .224, 15K

He gave up 11R in April & 6R in May. That's not good. There's no reason to have confidence in that.

I know you weren't around when Marte was one of the best in the AL, but in 2003 RH

.199, 45K, WHIP 1.24. LH .168, 42K, WHIP 0.85. If you give him some room to get his confidence back he could be the ideal setup man.

That would leave opposing teams pressing against our starters more feeling they need to score before the 8th because then it's Marte & Hermy time.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 25, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
I guess you missed the game Tuesday.

Ya, he was dominate than. Of course I was thinking Ozzie you fool, just go with Hermy :lol:

Marte is throwing the crap out of the ball right now and I love it. When Marte is on he's my favorite reliever in baseball to watch (next to Gagne).

My point was that Shingo & Viz should have the shortest leashes & not Marte.

I'm just getting so sick of watching Ozzie do that to him. Though I can't rule out Politte either. Did you know they both have 22K's now?

So tell me why was it Viz (Ozzie's love child) in there relieving BMac instead of Politte? You're up a few runs for some reason you decide to pull you rookie after he just recorded an out & what do you do? Bring in a guy who has HORRIBLE numbers at Wrigley Field in his career.

What frustrates me the most about this season is Ozzie's mgmt of the pen.

A little better mgmt there & we've got more wins to show for it. Of course what frustrated me about the Lee trade was not getting Adams. With Adams we probably have 3 more wins.

Oh well it's a small gripe. Can't be too upset with a team that is now 33-14 & on a pace to win 60 games before the all-star break. Wow!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
So tell me why was it Viz (Ozzie's love child) in there relieving BMac instead of Politte?  You're up a few runs for some reason you decide to pull you rookie after he just recorded an out & what do you do?  Bring in a guy who has HORRIBLE numbers at Wrigley Field in his career.

Ozzie manages strangely sometimes. He plays the percentages with the wrong players and puts players in situations in which they've historically struggled. I don't know if he's trying to turn them around or if he just doesn't look at important numbers that he should know. Then again, as long as the Sox are the best team in baseball, Ozzie can do whatever he wants. As long as the Ws keep going up, I really don't care what he does. :gosox3:

We are going to need some quality innings from someone other than Dusty, Marte and Cliff out of the pen before the year is over, I'm sure. Ozzie cannot afford to just give up on these other guys or wait to pitch them in blowouts. Blowouts are not our game this year. Ozzie has to try and get these guys straightened out. The only way to do that is by pitching them from time to time. Don't crucify the menager for doing his job.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 26, 2005 -> 06:46 AM)
We are going to need some quality innings from someone other than Dusty, Marte and Cliff out of the pen before the year is over, I'm sure.  Ozzie cannot afford to just give up on these other guys or wait to pitch them in blowouts.  Blowouts are not our game this year.  Ozzie has to try and get these guys straightened out.  The only way to do that is by pitching them from time to time.  Don't crucify the menager for doing his job.

nice post

We are going to need some quality innings from someone other than Dusty, Marte and Cliff out of the pen before the year is over, I'm sure.  Ozzie cannot afford to just give up on these other guys or wait to pitch them in blowouts.  Blowouts are not our game this year.  Ozzie has to try and get these guys straightened out.  The only way to do that is by pitching them from time to time.  Don't crucify the menager for doing his job.

:notworthy :notworthy

.....not to mention, it's the only way to find out if they can get the job done at all. If they can't, we know who we need to possibly move before the deadline.

What he said.

I've got nothing against Oz trying to build up confidence in Shingo & Viz. But allowing Viz to put another guy on & then face a HR hitter in a park stacked against him is not smart.

Then again building his confidence vs the Cubs has the least impact on home field advantage in the AL.

If not Politte what about Cotts? He had been pitching better of late & wasn't he supposed to be groomed for the early relief innings?

As for the confidence building when does Marte get a turn? Will he ever be afforded the opportunity to pitch out of a 2ON jam?

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Marte shouldn't throw tonight, 2 innings on Tues and coming in last night for two batters should earn him a day off. It's a hard week for him with the Angels being so lefty and then Texas having Delluci, Blalock, and tex if you want to turn him around. Teams like Oakland and Anaheim make you wish you had two lefties. I don't count cotts because he's not a guy who gets lefties out.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 26, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
Marte shouldn't throw tonight, 2 innings on Tues and coming in last night for two batters should earn him a day off. It's a hard week for him with the Angels being so lefty and then Texas having Delluci, Blalock, and tex if you want to turn him around. Teams like Oakland and Anaheim make you wish you had two lefties. I don't count cotts because he's not a guy who gets lefties out.

Walker will have to blow the cobwebs off his arm against Texas. Even though I'll cringe everytime he throws the ball.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 26, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Marte looked dominate yesterday. He looked like the old Damaso. I was happy to see it. Hopefully that one shows up for the rest of the season.

Ok ... I have to speak up here. I'm not picking on you nitetrain as there are several that make this same mistake ... in the context of the first sentence above, the word should be dominant, not dominate.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 26, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)

Great post, yet another reason why we need another shut down reliever, Baj anyone?

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ May 26, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
i dont remember him being any faster than 93-94 back then, right

really? I could swear i remember him jumping into the 96-97 range, but I could be mistaken.

I can always tell when Damaso is "on" when his left arm is whipping around after he pitches. He has taken his game up a notch in the past 3 weeks, thats for sure.

I have seen marte hit 97 a few times in his tenure here. When he is going good his fastball is at 95-96 with his pin point control. This year his whip is disgusting at 1.47. It is not because he is given up alot of hits, it is those 12 walks in only 19 innings that is hurting.