Ken Griffey Jr?

VAfan

WHY? Why would we need another log-jam? Griffey, A-Row, and Pods ALL play CF. Everett, Frank, and Jr ALL play DH.....why? Lol. Randa, Chavez, Lidge, other mid-ranked releivers........that's all we can hope for.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
if Dye were shipped off, and Griffey would stop trying to hit homeruns every swing and went back to using the whole field and letting the homeruns come naturally, this would be a good trade.  risky, but good.

Wouldnt trading Dye present the same problems as trading for Omar Vizquel, since he was signed as a free agent this past off-season? Wouldnt Dye have to approve the trade etc...

And counting on Griffey to stay healthy is one thing, telling him to become a complete hitter again is a completely different animal.

Just say no to Griffey.

ps. VA, who skewered you? you asked the sites opinion on your trade idea and got it. I didnt see everyone ripping into you badly or calling you stupid.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Wouldnt trading Dye present the same problems as trading for Omar Vizquel, since he was signed as a free agent this past off-season? Wouldnt Dye have to approve the trade etc...

And counting on Griffey to stay healthy is one thing, telling him to become a complete hitter again is a completely different animal.

Just say no to Griffey.

ps.  VA, who skewered you? you asked the sites opinion on your trade idea and got it.  I didnt see everyone ripping into you badly or calling you stupid.

I said trading Dye would be the only way this trade would make sense. if we can't trade him, it wouldn't happen.

he can be a complete hitter, but he'd have to sacrifice the power. instead of hitting 30-35, it'd be 20-25.

not a terrible idea, but there are better moves to be made.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
ps.  VA, who skewered you? you asked the sites opinion on your trade idea and got it.  I didnt see everyone ripping into you badly or calling you stupid.

My point was that I was as interested in hearing other options than hearing why Griffey would be a terrible idea. I understand the risks of taking a guy like Griffey. But I really want to hear what people think would give us an even chance to win the AL Pennant and the World Series.

We're built a lot like the Twins teams of the last 3 years. Those teams played solid baseball, but ultimately were overmatched in the playoffs.

What will it take to turn this Sox team, which is solidly on track to make the postseason, into a team that can beat out the Angels, Twins, O's, Red Sox, Rangers, or Yankees in October?

Our strength has been 5-deep starting pitching, a very solid bullpen, and just enough hitting to win most nights. But in the postseason other teams will not have to expose their 4th and 5th starters or the guys at the end of their bullpens, so a lot of our pitching advantage may be neutralized. Good pitching might also shut down much of our lineup, especially since we still have so few reliable lefty bats.

Maybe we'll just apply a minor tweak or two and hope for the best. But I'd like to wonder if making a bolder move might really put us over the top.

Does Griffey add something that Dye, Rowand, or Pods (maybe toss Everett in that list, too) adds to our team? Name power, and that's about it. Pods adds speed, Rowand is pretty balanced, and Dye would probably put up similar numbers to Griffey over the season (maybe a little worse offense, but a bit better defense). I'd say he'd be comparable to Everett, maybe a touch better offensively and defensively. We already have a log-jam at DH. No thanks.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Does Griffey add something that Dye, Rowand, or Pods (maybe toss Everett in that list, too) adds to our team?  Name power, and that's about it.  Pods adds speed, Rowand is pretty balanced, and Dye would probably put up similar numbers to Griffey over the season (maybe a little worse offense, but a bit better defense).  I'd say he'd be comparable to Everett, maybe a touch better offensively and defensively.  We already have a log-jam at DH.  No thanks.

Griffey would be better overall than Dye. Better offense and better defense. Way better defense.

I'll be one of the first to say that team chemistry is overrated, but I don't think Griffey will do wonders for their club house. This is a deal I'd stay away from. He also doesn't fit anything we have. You just can't play him over Rowand. Podsenik is too valuable to place on the bench, and as far as I've seen Jermaine Dye is getting the job done. With a healthy Thomas and a decent Everett, he can't fit in the DH role.

Our problems aren't solved with Ken Griffey Jr. unless he can play 3B or throw nasty stuff in the bullpen.

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
There is no doubt that Pauly is the weakest link on this team.  A cleanup hitter that fails to score a runner from third with less than two outs SIXTY PERCENT OF THE TIME!!!!!  I'm not sure I'd keep Konerko over Timo.

:headshake

Griffey is a greater health risk than both Thomas & Everett at a higher cost.

What's the point?

The team's greatest need is another solid arm in the pen. Guardado makes sense since Seattle only hold's a high priced option for him in 2006.

As for 1B, Gload will make up for Koney's weakness.

QUOTE(wherehaveyougoneharold @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
I keep hearing KC is taking offers for Sweeney.  Think they'd trade within the division?

No and we do not need for him his ridiculous contract. He also gets injured way too much for my liking don't know about you.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
We lost each of those years in the playoffs.

The original statement was we hadn't won a playoff series since 1917. Not a World Series. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the ALDS and ALCS are considerd playoff series. But also, I don't believe there was a DS in 1959, and maybe not even a CS. Might not have even been a DS in 93, I don't remember.

Edited by BobDylan

The World Series is a playoff series as well.

best of 9 - "lost" in 1919

best of 7 - lost in 1959

best of 5 - lost in 1983

best of 7 - lost in 1993

best of 5 - lost in 2000

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Should the Sox be thinking about a really bold move as the trade deadline approaches?

Obviously we've played outstanding team baseball to this point. If we can continue at this pace until the All-Star break, it is highly likely we'll be in the playoffs, probably with the best record in the AL and possibly in the majors.

But that is no guarantee of postseason success. So what should the Sox consider doing to improve the team for October?

So far most of the talk has been about replacing Joe Crede at 3B with either Joe Randa or Eric Chavez (or possibly Aubrey Huff). Other ideas have focused on the bullpen. Eddie Guardado?

But I wonder if the Sox shouldn't consider something bigger that is likely to gain them more than just a microscopic improvement.

What about Ken Griffey Jr.? Now that he's healthy for the first time in years, won't the Reds be willing to trade him for a couple mid-level prospects if someone would take the rest of his contract off their hands?  Would the Sox be willing to pay the freight?  Should they?

I'm not sure that the Sox should, but I just wanted to post this to stimulate ideas that go beyond Joe Randa.

What's wrong with Randa? Trading for him would address a real need with this team. Trading for Griffey does nothing for us and is actually harmful since it would burden the team with his huge salary. As of now, Rowand is a lot better than Griffey is.

The Jay Mariotti School of Thought:

Ken Griffey Jr. makes over $10 million a season!!! He is great!!!! JR wouldn't want him though.

Joe Randa makes $3,000,000 this season. Meh, the Sox can do better.

Griffey could help this team. And if you really want to "think outside the box" why not swing something with them for Randa AND Griffey? Along the lines of, "We can't absorb that contract, but if you throw Randa in as incentive, we might look at it a bit differently". Dye would have to be the odd man out, I would think, from the OF. Dye and Crede for Griffey, Randa and a stud prospect and we take on Junior's salary.

Juniors contract is just to outrageous yas, qwerty i see you're reading this thread what's the whole contract again?? Grif could definitely help this team out there is absolutely no doubt about that but he'd also handicap us quite a bit for years to come.

Griffey could help this team.  And if you really want to "think outside the box"  why not swing something with them for Randa AND Griffey?  Along the lines of, "We can't absorb that contract, but if you throw Randa in as incentive, we might look at it a bit differently". Dye would have to be the odd man out, I would think, from the OF.  Dye and Crede for Griffey, Randa and a stud prospect and we take on Junior's salary.

We would never take on Griffey's contract so it's almost pointless even thinking about it.

Ken Griffey Jr.: 9-Year worth 116.5M- he will make between 2000 and 2008 a salary of 12.5M each year- + in 2000, 5.5M of salary deferred till 2009- + deal includes 2009 Team Option or a 4M buyout- + 6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024 Agent: Brian Goldberg Service Time: 16.000