Bill Mueller could be traded to the White Sox

redandwhite

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
There was a difference....

The Cubs were not in their leauge.

Montreal obiously was not a contender.

Minnesota was also in that deal, but Minnesota got nothing but prospects. Boston wasn't actively helping Minnesota get any better. They may have been better passively be simply replacing Alhpabet with Morneau, but Boston wasn't sending them any key cogs.

Also last year Boston was trying to win the WC. Minnesota had no shot at the wild card. They were gonna take the central. This year Boston has to be focused on the East first, and the WC second. The Sox and Twins are the most serieous Wild Card contenders to this point.

:cheers :headbang At least you know what was going on.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
We have had gobs and gobs of trade threads from outer space.  You didn't discuss it as a possibility, you said it will happen.  The thread title had to be changed and people were confused.  That is the objection.  Post it as an idea or a possibility, it's not hard to do that.

The thread was made and within 30 seconds the title was changed. Half of the people in the peanut gallery who were "confused" were not even awake when the thread was created.

It isn't hard to do that, and in the future I'll take note. Afterall, this is Soxtalk...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
The thread was made and within 30 seconds the title was changed.  Half of the people in the peanut gallery who were "confused" were not even awake when the thread was created.

It isn't hard to do that, and in the future I'll take note.  Afterall, this is Soxtalk...

Is that susposed to be a dis towards Soxtalk?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
There was a Jose Uribe who played for the Giants back in teh day.

Good call, Cheat. I'd actually recognize him on the street on the strength of his 1985 Topps card. I haven't seen it in over a decade, but I spent so much time playing with baseball cards as a kid that it could have been construed as mental illness.

Yep. Trade scenario between the two would be hard to pull off. That said, if Theo was convinced we could improve his pitching staff in the bargain I have no doubts he'd make a deal.

I just don't see where we could do that without weakening our staff.

I'd much rather add more pitching, maybe in a larger deal. San Francisco has 3 guys that interest me: Jason Schmidt, Pedro Feliz, and Scott Eyre.

Schmidt would be hard to fit into our rotation, given how well our pitching has performed, but the other 2 would have no problem finding roles on this club.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
I have thought about this deal over a month now, and considering a writer suggested a similar thing, I thought I would post it.  The deal makes sense for both teams, its a definite possibility that I wouldn't doubt both are looking into, and if there isn't room for Mueller on the Red Sox, I would love to root for him on the Southside. 

So no, this isn't the most recent trade idea I have thought of, nor does it not make sense for both teams.  I am not known for starting threads of that nature, and never will be known for starting threads of that nature.

The deal does not make sense at all for the White Sox. Why should they help a team who coudl easily beat them in the post season by giving them something that is most difficult to get (pitching)??????

The Sox can get 3B upgrades elsewhere (Randa for sure and maybe even Castilla if the Nats do fall out of it). Hell they should get a SS like Nomar and move Uribe to 3B before tradign Marte away for Bill-I-had-one-great-year-Mueller

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
The deal does not make sense at all for the White Sox. Why should they help a team who coudl easily beat them in the post season by giving them something that is most difficult to get (pitching)??????

The Sox can get 3B upgrades elsewhere (Randa for sure and maybe even Castilla if the Nats do fall out of it). Hell they should get a SS like Nomar and move Uribe to 3B before tradign Marte away for Bill-I-had-one-great-year-Mueller

Are you suggesting the Sox try and acquire Nomar, or is there a Nomar clone out there that I am not aware of? Injuries aside, acquiring a SS like Nomar is damn near impossible without giving up the farm. When he is healthy(which isnt very often) there arent many better hitters in the league.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Are you suggesting the Sox try and acquire Nomar, or is there a Nomar clone out there that I am not aware of?  Injuries aside, acquiring a SS like Nomar is damn near impossible without giving up the farm. When he is healthy(which isnt very often) there arent many better hitters in the league.

Just a replacement for Crede.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)

In essence, both teams would be helping eachother.

Castilla isn't going to be traded, and I don't know of any Nomar's on the market that would allow for Uribe to switch to third, but your right about one thing and one thing only. Joe Randa is a definite possibility. However, with the Angels also looking for a third baseman intensely, and other teams also needing help offensively, one player cannot fill all those needs.

While Cincinatti might be looking for prospects, Randa could fetch someone as high as Josh Fields+ -- I don't prefer losing major league talent mid-season, but if Randa is going to cost some top quality prospects in a bidding war, you might want to look somewhere else, and with relief pitching very available this trade deadline, Kenny might be willing to part with Damaso Marte based on the fact that he values Cotts as high if not higher than Damaso.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Are you suggesting the Sox try and acquire Nomar, or is there a Nomar clone out there that I am not aware of?  Injuries aside, acquiring a SS like Nomar is damn near impossible without giving up the farm. When he is healthy(which isnt very often) there arent many better hitters in the league.

If Neifi continues to do well, the Cubs might trade Nomar since they rather improve elsewhere and Nomar is signed only through end of this year anyways.

I am suggesting I rather help the Cubs and get a stud SS back (who when healthy would be awesome for this lineup) than help another AL contender by getting their one year fluke 3B

"Hell they should get a SS like Nomar and move Uribe to 3B before tradign Marte away for Bill-I-had-one-great-year-Mueller"

Thats an uninformed statement about Bill Mueller. Check out the guys career stats, he has hit for his entire career. His career average is .292.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
If Neifi continues to do well, the Cubs might trade Nomar since they rather improve elsewhere and Nomar is signed only through end of this year anyways.

I am suggesting I rather help the Cubs and get a stud SS back (who when healthy would be awesome for this lineup) than help another AL contender by getting their one year fluke 3B

Oh please...

and you were one of the people saying I was misleading people? Come on. There is not one a single chance that Nomar is traded. Not one. Not a single one.

Oh my goodness...

Are you forgetting that Nomars leg practically fell off earlier this year? The tendon completely tore away from the bone, he is worthless this year. Even if he comes back, there is little gaurantee that he will stay healthy, and he wouldnt even be back until late August at the earliest. Come on, lets suggest someone that can help now.