Which Pitcher would you trade MB for

Winnin Ugly

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you, SportNews recently did poll to find out every pitcher in MLB who even has a legit shot at winning 200 games. They only came up with 2 names- TIm Hudson and Mark Buehrle.

A 300 game winner would be something very special, even if it is doubtful from this point in his career.

Mark has proven himself to be basically the most reliable pitcher in either league. Innings, quality starts, not particularly injury prone.

There is no one else who matches him in all of those categories. Some pitchers have better stuff than him, but aren't as durable, and the guys who are as durable don't have as good of stuff.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
All things considered--contracts, age, etc--Felix Hernandez, Johan Santana, Jeremy Bonderman, Jake Peavy, Doc Halladay, Ben Sheets.

Felix Hernandez most likely will be good, but he is unproven so I'm not sure about that one.

Mark is one of only a few who you know what you're getting out of him.

I wouldn't trade Mark for anything though. Him and Frank are and deserve to be the faces of this franchise. If I had an absolute do not trade list, Mark goes on top.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I'd trade him for Johann, Peavy, Oswalt, Halladay currently. Prior when healthy. That's about it. BMac is a whole different story.

Oh, I almost forgot Mike Maroth and Kerry Wood

See, trouble is, you can't just trade for the "Healthy" prior, you have to trade for Prior in general. Ditto Johan, Halladay, Oswalt (don't know Peavy well enough). Each of those guys has been down with injuries or underperformed in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't trade Mark's combination of talent and reliability for anything.

Plus, those hour and 50 minute games sure are fun.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
See, trouble is, you can't just trade for the "Healthy" prior, you have to trade for Prior in general.  Ditto Johan, Halladay, Oswalt (don't know Peavy well enough).  Each of those guys has been down with injuries or underperformed in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't trade Mark's combination of talent and reliability for anything.

Plus, those hour and 50 minute games sure are fun.

When did Oswalt or Johan injure themselves or underperform. Oswalt had a groin thing a few years back but that's a fluke.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Oswalt lifetime stats

70-34 3.08 736 K's

He is a very dominant pitcher

Buehrles lifetime stats

76-46 3.68 642

Buehrle is also 2 years younger

Almost the same stats Buehrles youner and he probaly wont go out an ditch us when his contract runs outs.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
When did Oswalt or Johan injure themselves or underperform. Oswalt had a groin thing a few years back but that's a fluke.

Oswalt only pitches 21 games in 03. The Stros should have had a dominant staff that year but everyone was hurt, and kept getting hurt repeatedly.

Santana had elbow surgery about 2 or 3 years ago.