Midseason Top 20 Prospects: 20-11

danman31

A midseason rankings of White Sox prospects

By FutureSox Staff

The minor league season is in the 2nd half of play and all of the all-star games have taken place. With over half the season done FutureSox.com has taken a look at what the top prospects in the system have done and come up with new prospect rankings. We have decided to present these rankings in a different way than normal. Instead of the standard writeups on each player talking about their history and recent performance we have decided to give numerical ratings...More

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
"Ray Liotta hopes to one day be more famous than his distant cousin, actor Ray Liotta, who starred in Field of Dreams among other movies."

This mistake is unacceptable!

:huh

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)

By FutureSox Staff

The minor league season is in the 2nd half of play and all of the all-star games have taken place. With over half the season done FutureSox.com has taken a look at what the top prospects in the system have done and come up with new prospect rankings. We have decided to present these rankings in a different way than normal. Instead of the standard writeups on each player talking about their history and recent performance we have decided to give numerical ratings...More

The writer of this piece sure does suck. :P

Good stuff as always guys :cheers

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)

By FutureSox Staff

I would have to disagree with Valido where you have him, I am not sure he and Young are not the 2 prospects we need to make sure we hold onto. I would have him in top 5 for sure, and likely #2 behind Young at this time, at least in terms of value.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
I would have to disagree with Valido where you have him, I am not sure he and Young are not the 2 prospects we need to make sure we hold onto. I would have him in top 5 for sure, and likely #2 behind Young at this time, at least in terms of value.

As far as guys I'm not trading at the deadline, Young and Valido are 1 & 2. That doesn't mean they won't be available this time next year. I'm just not interested in giving them up right now, as they appear to have the most upside of any of our prospects, and really seem to be coming into their own.

I have no problem parting with McCarthy, Anderson, Gio, Tracey, Fields, Sweeney, etc. as long as the return is decent and a good fit for our team. I don't know if I can say the same about Young and Valido right now.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)

Valido is a very good prospect but not our #2 prospect... I think he should be in the top 10 though.

What was a weak spot (3rd base) two years ago is now a strenghth. Josh Fields is listed as 9th, and Micah Schnurstein should be near (if not ahead). A comparison of the two has Micah ahead in average (.291 to .248) and combind slugging and on base percentage (.805 to .750). Both have 30 BB but Josh has 99 SO to 64 for Micah. Both have a boatload of errors and both have 12 HR. Josh is playing AA while Micah is only in high A, but Micah turned 21 two days ago and Josh turns 23 in December.

Neither should see a promotion this year (with Norton at AAA) but both should move up one notch next year. With the trading deadline coming, which has more trade value, the #1 pick at AA or the # 7 pick at single A?

Is there any chance that Nanita gets moved up this year to Birmy? He's doing well, but is extremely old for high-A. The most encouraging thing is his 38 BBs/36 Ks, but again -- he's 24. I realize the OF at AA is stacked, but hopefully he'll get his shot -- .281/.377/.469 is a pretty good line.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Is there any chance that Nanita gets moved up this year to Birmy?  He's doing well, but is extremely old for high-A.  The most encouraging thing is his 38 BBs/36 Ks, but again -- he's 24.  I realize the OF at AA is stacked, but hopefully he'll get his shot -- .281/.377/.469 is a pretty good line.

He's been pretty solid the last month or 2. Started off really slow...

QUOTE(bluesox @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
What was a weak spot (3rd base) two years ago is now a strenghth.  Josh Fields is listed as 9th, and Micah Schnurstein should be near (if not ahead).  A comparison of the two has Micah ahead in average (.291 to .248) and combind slugging and on base percentage (.805 to .750).  Both have 30 BB but Josh has 99 SO to 64 for Micah.  Both have a boatload of errors and both have 12 HR.  Josh is playing AA while Micah is only in high A, but Micah turned 21 two days ago and Josh turns 23 in December.

Neither should see a promotion this year (with Norton at AAA) but both should move up one notch next year.  With the trading deadline coming, which has more trade value, the #1 pick at AA or the # 7 pick at single A?

Personally speaking...I grade Schnurstein over Fields (but I seem to be the only person who feels that way).

Schnur is going to be a good one and if I were Kenny, Fields would be on the list of guys I'd trade.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
Personally speaking...I grade Schnurstein over Fields (but I seem to be the only person who feels that way). 

Schnur is going to be a good one and if I were Kenny, Fields would be on the list of guys I'd trade.

There's a couple of guys over at BTF who agree with you. In fact, that's why I brought Nanita's name up, 'cause one of the posters (when talking about our prospects) immediately brought up Nanita, Schnurstein, and Valido. I didn't think much of it, but wanted to see how the former two were doing, and was pleasantly surprised.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
There's a couple of guys over at BTF who agree with you.  In fact, that's why I brought Nanita's name up, 'cause one of the posters (when talking about our prospects) immediately brought up Nanita, Schnurstein, and Valido.  I didn't think much of it, but wanted to see how the former two were doing, and was pleasantly surprised.

I've kind of written off Nanita due to his age and the big time flops he had after his fast start a couple years back. He's not a bad athlete though, but things are against him as opposed to Micah and Valido.

Frankly I just love Micah's swing. He gets good contact and is just beginning to harness his power and I think he'll turn into a 20 to 25 HR guy (at most 30), but I also see him hitting tons of doubles.