School Expels Girl for Having Gay Parents

KipWellsFan

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170219,00.html

ONTARIO, Calif.  — A Christian school expelled a 14-year-old student because her parents are lesbians, the school's superintendent said in a letter.

"Your family does not meet the policies of admission," Superintendent Leonard Stob wrote to Tina Clark, Shay's biological mother.

The school's policy states that at least one parent cannot engage in practices "immoral or inconsistent with a positive Christian life style such as cohabitating without marriage or in a homosexual relationship," Stob wrote.

Shay and her parents said they will not fight the ruling. Shay will attend public school next week.

more at link

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the school did in the least, but they are within their rights as a private school. Granted in this day and age, anyone can sue for anything and still manage to win so I wouldn't be surprised if they did sue and win, but I really can't see on what grounds they could sue.

Legally I don't know that they have a leg to stand on. The courts have ruled in the past that private organizations have the right to restrict their membership to whom they see fit. The parents also had to have agreed to the schools terms to enroll their kid into the school.

Morally, it sucks. It is what keeps gays out of the boy scouts, women out of certian golf clubs etc.

I agree with you both. But I don't think "legally" matters. A sympathetic jury is all they need...

I would like to see them sue. I would like to see this s*** tested. It makes me sick that children are denied an education based on what happens in their personal lives.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I agree with you both. But I don't think "legally" matters. A sympathetic jury is all they need...

I would like to see them sue. I would like to see this s*** tested. It makes me sick that children are denied an education based on what happens in their personal lives.

Actually, yes it does matter legally, because if a conviction were handed down by a sympathetic jury, it's still possible for the school to appeal to higher courts and have the conviction reduced/thrown out. We've also already seen where the Supreme Court sits, and Bush has 2 nominations to play with before this case would ever get that far.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)

:huh

I say shame on those parents for subjecting that child to such a vile environment, but I hope they've now seen the light.

If I were their lawyers, I'd be checking to see if that "Christian" school gets even one dollar of governement aid - federal, state or local.

That's the thing. People have sued. Women have tried on many occasions to get into Augusta Country Club. Gay troop leaders have sued to not be dismissed by the Boy Scouts of America. I believe the Scouts case ended up in front of the Supreme Court, and they ruled because the scouts are a privately funded, private organization, they could let in and exclude pretty much anyone they wanted to. Conversly there is nothing to say that they couldn't start an all gay school, and ban any Christians from joining.

I think educationally all they have to argue is that the kid has a chance at an education because public schools are always an option. Its not like the kid can't go to school at all, just not that particular school.

Being a Christian it pains me because if you aren't showing love and tolerance towards people you don't agree with, you aren't living up to Jesus's teachings to love all men, and this is just one more instance of the church being 100% wrong on an issue. Even if you believe something is wrong, it is up to God to decide his fate, and not man.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
If I were their lawyers, I'd be checking to see if that "Christian" school gets even one dollar of governement aid - federal, state or local.

But you're forgetting...under stated Bush administration policy, it's no longer a problem for organizations that discriminate on these sorts of basis to receive tons of federal funding. Think about the "Faith-based" initiative program...Congress could never agree to it because they could never come up with rules about Discrimination, so Bush jumped over their heads and implemented the program by executive order.

There's a reason that I don't give to the Salvation Army when disasters strike.

When you choose to send your child to a religious school, like it or not, your 'personal lives' are indeed a part of you're educational life. Usually you're not accepted till they do a background interview, etc...

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
When you choose to send your child to a religious school, like it or not, your 'personal lives' are indeed a part of you're educational life.  Usually you're not accepted till they do a background interview, etc...

Uhh.. thank you capt'n obvious. :lolhitting

I'm well aware.. it still makes me sick.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Sorry Mike.. but a CC Membership or entrance to the Boy Scouts, IMO, doesn't even come close to being a justifiable comparison.

Just remember, when he makes that comparison, he's not saying that the comparison holds on moral grounds. He's saying it holds on legal grounds.

Morally...would most people, even Christians, say its wrong to punish children for the actions of their parents? I'd say a huge majority would agree - I don't think we're Klingons here.

But the law in this matter seems settled by the precedent of the case involving the Boy Scouts. As a private organization, the Church can make whatever rules it wants, and can discriminate against whoever it wants. That's built into the right of assembly and the free excercise clause in the constitution.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Just remember, when he makes that comparison, he's not saying that the comparison holds on moral grounds.  He's saying it holds on legal grounds.

Morally...would most people, even Christians, say its wrong to punish children for the actions of their parents?  I'd say a huge majority would agree - I don't think we're Klingons here.

But the law in this matter seems settled by the precedent of the case involving the Boy Scouts.  As a private organization, the Church can make whatever rules it wants, and can discriminate against whoever it wants.  That's built into the right of assembly and the free excercise clause in the constitution.

IMO, based on the moral grounds it would be given more weight then a case over a CC membership. That's why I see no comparison. I understand the "legal" course... but in a country where you can become a millionare for spilling coffee on yourself... I would test the waters with a case like this.

As for the Klingons... watch out.. I'm pretty sure there ARE a few here. ;)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Just remember, when he makes that comparison, he's not saying that the comparison holds on moral grounds.  He's saying it holds on legal grounds.

Morally...would most people, even Christians, say its wrong to punish children for the actions of their parents?  I'd say a huge majority would agree - I don't think we're Klingons here.

But the law in this matter seems settled by the precedent of the case involving the Boy Scouts.  As a private organization, the Church can make whatever rules it wants, and can discriminate against whoever it wants.  That's built into the right of assembly and the free excercise clause in the constitution.

Yeah that is pretty much where I was going with this...

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
IMO, based on the moral grounds it would be given more weight then a case over a CC membership. That's why I see no comparison. I understand the "legal" course... but in a country where you can become a millionare for spilling coffee on yourself... I would test the waters with a case like this.

As for the Klingons... watch out.. I'm pretty sure there ARE a few here.  ;)

For whatever reason in the courts eyes, it is much more beneficial to be stupid, than racist. That is just MHO.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
For whatever reason in the courts eyes, it is much more beneficial to be stupid, than racist.  That is just MHO.

You got me there..

Kneejerk response.. I'm a girl.. I have no defense. :rolly

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)

As for the Klingons... watch out.. I'm pretty sure there ARE a few here.  ;)

I don't want to get into the whole McDonald's case here, so I hope no one else will reply to this, but in my opinion, using that as a metaphor for a judicial system out of control simply shows a complete misunderstanding of the facts of that case.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I don't want to get into the whole McDonald's case here, so I hope no one else will reply to this, but in my opinion, using that as a metaphor for a judicial system out of control simply shows a complete misunderstanding of the facts of that case.

Apparently you do, and again.. apparently you do since you posted it.

I'm well aware of the case, but the only facts I need to know is she won a lot of $$ for getting burned with hot coffee because SHE removed the lid in the car and it spilled on her.

Is there anyone here who doesn't know that coffee is hot...?? Hello...?? Someone...? Anyone...?

According to the report, the teen's mother has been in the lesbian relationship for 22 years, but that the school only learned of the relationship this week when the student was reprimanded for talking to the crowd during a football game

Huh? Can you say "Good Riddance."

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Apparently you do, and again.. apparently you do since you posted it.

I'm well aware of the case, but the only facts I need to know is she won a lot of $$ for getting burned with hot coffee because SHE removed the lid in the car and it spilled on her.

Is there anyone here who doesn't know that coffee is hot...?? Hello...?? Someone...? Anyone...?

Sounds like they kept it too hot and they knew it was too hot. Coffee shouldn't be lava hot.