Lack of Execution

spiderman

With the way the White Sox played, it was amazing that they even had a shot to win the game in the 9th inning.

1) Top 3rd...Contreras, who pitched a great game after the slow start, had the slow grounder back to him, and tries for a double play instead of the out at home. A run scores, turns out to be the crucial 3rd run, the Angels lead 3-0.

2) Scott Podnesnik has to be injured. You don't go from stealing 50 out of 59 bases to 9 out of 23 to 1 out of 3 in the playoffs. Molina is great behind the plate, so I give credit to the Angels for calling the pitchout.

3) A.J.Pierzynski gets thrown out with Joe Crede at the bat. We won't know until later whether it should have been a hit-and-run or A.J. was attempting to steal, but either way, a bad SB attempt or a missed sign, not going to have a good result.

4) Scott Podnesik and Aaron Rowand unable to get bunts down tonight.

5) Almost a disaster, Juan Uribe, who played great defensively, gets lazy at 2B (how he didn't get to 3B with 2 outs and a basehit to RF is puzzling), and is almost picked off by the throw in from Rivera.

6) More of a group effort, but the White Sox did not have a good approach at all tonight, especially early on, popping up several balls, and swinging early in the count vs. Bryd who was pitching on 3 days rest.

7) Can we get a clutch hit please ? Same problem the Yankees had, so give credit to the Angels pitching...

All-in-all, just as I was afraid, the White Sox looked like they were playing their 1st game of the year, and the Angels did just enough to must out a victory tonight.

Let's go get them tomorrow with Mark Buerhle !

5) Almost a disaster, Juan Uribe, who played great defensively, gets lazy at 2B (how he didn't get to 3B with 2 outs and a basehit to RF is puzzling), and is almost picked off by the throw in from Rivera.

Excellent points. This one I think shows again how flat we were. I almost wish we were playing the "powerful" Yankees so we could maybe have kept our stinger for Game One. We didn't execute and your excellent points point to one thing - being flat!

Would we have been flat for the powerful Yanks? Perhaps with so many days off. But maybe not against the evil empire.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Excellent points. This one I think shows again how flat we were. I almost wish we were playing the "powerful" Yankees so we could maybe have kept our stinger for Game One. We didn't execute and your excellent points point to one thing - being flat!

Would we have been flat for the powerful Yanks? Perhaps with so many days off. But maybe not against the evil empire.

I wonder if there is a let down in not playing the Yanks?

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Answer to #5...

Juan Rivera HAS A CANNON!!!  Remember him throwing out Crede at home on the Friday Night game that the Sox had the Green Unis?

No doubt that Rivera has a strong arm....I probably should have said that it was concerning to see such indecision, Uribe didn't know whether to go to 3B or hold up, and it almost cost us an out.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)

I'm not sure if we were flat or just didn't execute, and as a result looked that way.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
All good points. They better bring the lumber tommorow. Tommorow's game being labeled a must win is an understatement. If we go to Anahiem trailing 0-2 you can call it a season. We suck out west.

2-0 would probably be unlikely to overcome, but our pitching should give us a chance in each game. It's now just a matter of the Sox moving runners along, and getting a big hit once in awhile.

Lack of execution was the biggest factor, but Ozzie was outfoxed by Soscia a couple of times. The pitch out when Pods was running is just one example.

This is a factor that no one is really talking about. If there is one guy who is more on his toes than Ozzie it's Soscia. I look for every game to be low scoring and close, determined by which manager blinks 1st.

Lack of execution was the biggest factor, but Ozzie was outfoxed by Soscia a couple of times. The pitch out when Pods was running is just one example.

This is a factor that no one is really talking about. If there is one guy who is more on his toes than Ozzie it's Soscia. I look for every game to be low scoring and close, determined by which manager blinks 1st.

Also, our hitters kept showing bunt so Scioscia just played his infielders up. Our guys need to take off the bunt and bloop some balls over their heads when that happens.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Also, our hitters kept showing bunt so Scioscia just played his infielders up.  Our guys need to take off the bunt and bloop some balls over their heads when that happens.

Figgins was playing so close on the Pods bunt attempt, he really had no chance of having any success if he bunted the ball towards 3rd base. The Angels are forcing the Sox's hand, and that's one of the main reasons they won last night.

Figgins was playing so close on the Pods bunt attempt, he really had no chance of having any success if he bunted the ball towards 3rd base.  The Angels are forcing the Sox's hand, and that's one of the main reasons they won last night.

Yeah, the Angels are most definately not the Red Sox. The Red Sox let us drop down the bunt all we wanted. When Scioscia plays his infield way up like that, the bunt has to be taken off. We don't have the greatest bunters to begin with so expecting them to successfully drop down a bunt when the infield is waiting for it is not very smart.

I was hoping that Pods or Rowand would pull back and swing away with Figgins playing so far in. Hopefully, it would've blooped over his head. That's the chance you take. Instead, Pods got caught looking. A pathetic AB.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I was hoping that Pods or Rowand would pull back and swing away with Figgins playing so far in.  Hopefully, it would've blooped over his head.  That's the chance you take.  Instead, Pods got caught looking.  A pathetic AB.

There is no way Rowand should have bunted with Figgins playing where he was. That really sucked...we got lucky we were'nt doubled up. Sometimes the bunt has to come off if they are gonna play that close....I mean that was ridiculously close...he was almost even with the mound

Execution and situational play - that was the key to the game and will be the key to the series. The Sox won't (and typically don't) put a lot of runners on the bases so they depend on execution. It always seems Anaheim has superior execution, which trumps Chicago's, and that is going to have to end for the Sox to take this series.

SFF

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
There is no way Rowand should have bunted with Figgins playing where he was.  That really sucked...we got lucky we were'nt doubled up.  Sometimes the bunt has to come off if they are gonna play that close....I mean that was ridiculously close...he was almost even with the mound

Figgins was playing 10 feet closer for Pods bunt AB than for the Rowand AB.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
With the way the White Sox played, it was amazing that they even had a shot to win the game in the 9th inning.

1) Top 3rd...Contreras, who pitched a great game after the slow start, had the slow grounder back to him, and tries for a double play instead of the out at home. A run scores, turns out to be the crucial 3rd run, the Angels lead 3-0.

2) Scott Podnesnik has to be injured. You don't go from stealing 50 out of 59 bases to 9 out of 23 to 1 out of 3 in the playoffs. Molina is great behind the plate, so I give credit to the Angels for calling the pitchout.

3) A.J.Pierzynski gets thrown out with Joe Crede at the bat. We won't know until later whether it should have been a hit-and-run or A.J. was attempting to steal, but either way, a bad SB attempt or a missed sign, not going to have a good result.

4) Scott Podnesik and Aaron Rowand unable to get bunts down tonight.

6) More of a group effort, but the White Sox did not have a good approach at all tonight, especially early on, popping up several balls, and swinging early in the count vs. Bryd who was pitching on 3 days rest.

7) Can we get a clutch hit please ? Same problem the Yankees had, so give credit to the Angels pitching...

All-in-all, just as I was afraid, the White Sox looked like they were playing their 1st game of the year, and the Angels did just enough to must out a victory tonight.

Let's go get them tomorrow with Mark Buerhle !

You forgot 1. Why was Iguchi covering second on the comebacker to Contreas, the SS ALWAYS covers 2nd in a double play situtation. Also, if Jose throws home the runner would have been out. I understand the double play attempt but I don't understand why Uribe wasn't turning the play.

:finger the Angles

I don't know if anyones said this but i thought a huge mistake was when crede hesitated on the slow roller and couldn't get the guy at first, crede is my favorite player, but he is killin us so far in the playoffs.. hope he pulls his head out of his ass.