Carlos Lee wins Silver Slugger award..

Steff

Rather than dump on Carlos, congrats to him for being awesome. He was a big time RBI guy for that team and they needed him more than they needed Pods. If they can lock him up, he will be part of a team that will contend for the playoffs next season or soon after with Weeks, Fielder, and Hardy

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Rather than dump on Carlos, congrats to him for being awesome. He was a big time RBI guy for that team and they needed him more than they needed Pods. If they can lock him up, he will be part of a team that will contend for the playoffs next season or soon after with Weeks, Fielder, and Hardy

I just can't imagine them signing him, and if they did, I can't imagine it'd be good for them. In 2005, their payroll in Milwaukee was under $40 mil. Barring a significant expansion in revenues...when Lee hits the FA Market, he'll probably command $10 million a year or more in a long term deal depending on how badly the Yankees and Red Sox need outfielders. That would mean that the Brewers would have to lock up roughly 1/4 of their team's entire salary in 1 man. Imagine us with Arod. That would kill any flexibility that team would have to make any moves whatsoever.

I think you need veteran bats or at least one to go with young bats. I think that has been part of Cleveland's issue. I think the Milwaukee payroll will og up under new ownership and increased revenue sharing. I think they can keep Lee if they want him. Sheets is locked up and they don't really have any other tough retainee decisions to make.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
Who is Carlos Lee?

Oh yea, the clumsy guy who can't play outfield and who made fun of Marte last year.

No congratulations are in order from me.

Well he had zero errors in 04 and we are gonna back Damaso Marte now? Seems that there are a million people in Lee's camp as far as making fun of Marte goes

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Well he had zero errors in 04 and we are gonna back Damaso Marte now? Seems that there are a million people in Lee's camp as far as making fun of Marte goes

Back him as a pitcher? No.

Back him as a person who deserves respect and doesn't deserve to be ridiculed by a teammate for his upbringing? Yes.

No one on here is going to convince me to like Carlos Lee, so just give it up now. I'm glad Milwaukee is stuck with that cancer and not us.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
What did he say about Marte?

It would be hard to find the article now, it was posted here back early in the season.

The gist of the article was that Lee rode Marte basically all of last year about where he was from and his upbringing. I guess Marte was brought up really poor is what the article made it sound like. People close to the team acknowledged that this did go on and since then I lost a lot of respect for Lee. Basically painted him out to be the jackass that he is.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)

Having zero errors in a season hardly indicates that you can play defense. He is a slightly below average left fielder defensively, we all know that.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
Having zero errors in a season hardly indicates that you can play defense. He is a slightly below average left fielder defensively, we all know that.

No, he sucks in the OF, we all know that.

Have fun hitting your meaningless HRs in Milwaukee as the Sox collect rings...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
With Lee's fly ball tendencies, the Red Sox should be all over him when he becomes a FA.  The short porch would also improve his defense (even though he's just as good as Pods is in the field if you ask me).

Pods takes bad angles in the outfield but he still gets to way more balls than Carlos Lee would ever imagine getting to.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Pods takes bad angles in the outfield but he still gets to way more balls than Carlos Lee would ever imagine getting to.

Pods gets to more balls to the left and right of him, but Carlos was better on deep fly balls as well as charging the ball to get a throw off quicker. Basically, neither of them should expect a call on the day the Gold Glove is announced. :P

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
It would be hard to find the article now, it was posted here back early in the season.

The gist of the article was that Lee rode Marte basically all of last year about where he was from and his upbringing.  I guess Marte was brought up really poor is what the article made it sound like.  People close to the team acknowledged that this did go on and since then I lost a lot of respect for Lee.  Basically painted him out to be the jackass that he is.

That's a pretty s***ty move on Lee's part. And I bet that didn't help Marte with his problems, he seems like he wouldn't be able to take ridicule like that.

I also don't know why Carlos would be talking. I've heard some things about him...

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
That's a pretty s***ty move on Lee's part.  And I bet that didn't help Marte with his problems, he seems like he wouldn't be able to take ridicule like that.

I also don't know why Carlos would be talking.  I've heard some things about him...

I'll see if I can find the article, although I'm not sure which paper it was in.

A little heated spring fever Ex-Sox Lee doesn't take kindly

to being hit by a Marte pitch

Date: March 24, 2005

Publication: Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)

Section: Sports

Page: 1

PHOENIX - Instead of greeting his old teammates with open arms Wednesday, Carlos Lee closed his fists and nearly sparked a bench- clearing brawl.

Lee, traded from the White Sox to the Milwaukee Brewers on Dec. 14, was drilled in the left thigh on the first pitch from Damaso Marte in the eighth inning. This might have been a meaningless exhibition game, but Lee was enraged enough to charge the mound.

The left fielder didn't make it very far before being restrained and...

You have to pay for the article at this point, but this is also a reason that Marte beaned Lee in ST, as you can see above.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
I'll see if I can find the article, although I'm not sure which paper it was in.

I remember hearing about the story. I think we can all agree that if someone like Frank or PK doesn't come back, that we'd much rather see articles praising them for their time with the Sox instead of the basic smear campaign that happened with Ordonez and CLee last year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
That's a pretty s***ty move on Lee's part.  And I bet that didn't help Marte with his problems, he seems like he wouldn't be able to take ridicule like that.

No, it didn't. But it did open the door for posters here to s*** on him when things got rough for him earlier this season.