Making of a winner

Harry Chappas

I think the sox need to do everything in their power to sign Bartolo Colon. I would try to lock up Buerhle with a huge fourth year of a four year contract and then offer Bartolo a three year deal for whatever he wants. This keeps Colon, Loiaza, Buerhle, Konerko, Lee, Jimenez, and Ordonez locked up for next year. A good GM could fill in the pieces and I think KW is gone. What we need to do is offer Buerhle like $2M for the next 3 years and then a fourth year player option for $20M. I really like our roation if Buerhle can come around.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like our roation if Buerhle can come around.

Right now that's a HUGE if.

Never in my wildest dreams Mark would have this type of negative streak where everything is going downhill, including ERA where he usually ranked in top 5 or 10 in AL.

I just think he's getting "figured out" by opposing teams, and that's not good.

I'm still a MB supporter. He pitched well last night but was let down by a lack of defense. I know as Sox fans, we are prone to the worst case scenario since it usually happens, but it is way to early to give up on MB. A pitcher can be a fluke for a month or half a season, but I can't see how it would take two seasons for the league to suddenly figure MB out. It is more likely mental or mechanical.

Buehrle would be just fine.  Now would be a good time to offer him a deal very similar to the last one.

i agree! he should jump at it and i too think mb is not as bad as he's been looking.

i can't see jr signing colon tho. it just makes too much sense. besides, i figure bc will be asking for 5 years for a bundle and someone will give it to him. no way jr signs a pitcher for 5 years.

Im no fan of MBs and personally his 2003 season reminds me of Ritchies 2002 season (see "Buehrle!!!!!!" to find out why) but I wouldnt be against signing him long term. That is, if he shapes up (if he proves my Ritchie theory right he can take a hike) and if he gets this whole St Louis thing out of his system. And like has been said, those are big ifs...

Buehrle would be just fine.  Now would be a good time to offer him a deal very similar to the last one.

i wouldnt be surprised if the sox said FU burly and low balled him till he is a FA after his piss poor performance this year.

i wouldnt be surprised if the sox said FU burly and low balled him till he is a FA after his piss poor performance this year.

He's up for arbitration after this season, so someone else will be making the decision on his paycheck.

Guest hotsoxchick1

yeah i would love to have colon, burherle and loz as our 1,2,3......that would be idea...dump salary to do so may not be very welcome though... i say start with cutting thomas, paulie, lee, jose, botch (if we can dump his contract),gordon,white,alomar, rios, dauber, and jimenez...am i foregetting anyone??? that should free up a ton of cash to let us lock up three guys huh.... :o

yeah i would love to have colon, burherle and loz as our 1,2,3......that would be idea...dump salary to do so may not be very welcome though... i say start with cutting thomas, paulie, lee, jose, botch (if we can dump his contract),gordon,white,alomar, rios, dauber, and jimenez...am i foregetting anyone??? that should free up a ton of cash to let us lock up three guys huh.... :o

I like the way Carlos is starting to come around. His defense has improved A LOT. If Carlos keeps it up I say keep Carlos. If Konerko keeps it up I'd like the Sox to keep him too, but I know that they may not have enough cash to sign Buehrle, Colon, and Loiaza for long term deals. If this is the case then I'll accept the departure of Konerko.

CWSOX45

Im no fan of MBs and personally his 2003 season reminds me of Ritchies 2002 season (see "Buehrle!!!!!!" to find out why) but I wouldnt be against signing him long term. That is, if he shapes up (if he proves my Ritchie theory right he can take a hike) and if he gets this whole St Louis thing out of his system. And like has been said, those are big ifs...

Roman....that's bulls***, and you know it. You're not a fan of MB because he has pitched s***ty over the past month or so. If MB goes on a Cory Lidle like streak in August when we really need him to, are you still going to be anti-Buehrle?

Roman....that's bulls***, and you know it.  You're not a fan of MB because he has pitched s***ty over the past month or so.  If MB goes on a Cory Lidle like streak in August when we really need him to, are you still going to be anti-Buehrle?

If Mb pitches good in August it is too late for this team, NOW not 3 months from now.

You can't be serious......Buehrle has had no timely hitting and no defense for nearly 3/4 of all his starts this year. Okay fine Minnesota crushed him, but if we had a natural centerfielder playing yesterday Buehrle would have only given up around 3 runs instead of 5 since two runs scored on two bloops that should have been caught.

CWSOX45

If Mb pitches good in August it is too late for this team, NOW not 3 months from now.

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly....we have a fairly easy July schedule, but a very tough August schedule. June is going to be tough for both the Twins and Sox.....but I believe the Twins have a tough July, and a slack August....while we have the opposite. If MB steps up in August....we could actually be in contention in September.

Have I missed something? Since when is Buehrle compared to Ritchie?

6.94 Johnson

5.54 Maddux

5.89 Garcia

Good pitchers go though bad patches, Loiaza went though such a patch for several years apparently, I'd give our best pitcher some more patience than that.

Never in my wildest dreams Mark would have this type of negative streak where everything is going downhill

every good to great pitcher has a slump here and there. I think MB will get it back together very soon.

He wasn't even that bad against the Jay's either. I don't see why Roman is all over the guys nuts after having a rough stretch. The guy is human and makes mistakes. I agree that if we had a cf that could actually run and catch he would have given up 3 most likely and Roman would be saying "Mark is back!!!". The guy will be fine and back to form soon. It is like the guy has a bad day and you want to send him to the gas chamber. Give me a break. Not even Cy Young pitched great every time out.

One of these days, Roman is going to break a leg while jumping on or off someone's bandwagon. It's bound to happen. :D

Or bust a nut jumping onto Franks bandwagon.

Such a hypocrate. With the way he waivers on allies he will be a perfect enforcer of US policy abroad, friends today, enemies tommorrow!

Right now that's a HUGE if.

Never in my wildest dreams Mark would have this type of negative streak where everything is going downhill, including ERA where he usually ranked in top 5 or 10 in AL.

I just think he's getting "figured out" by opposing teams, and that's not good.

I didn't want to be accused of being negative but I always worried about MB. He pitched really well the last two years, but you could see on his off days that he can be really hittable. What I'm saying is that some guys can win without their best stuff, not so for MB. He's got to move the ball around and paint the corners. On top of that, his velocity which was never that high seems to be down a little this year. We need him to turn it around soon, just Loiaza and Colon aren't going to cut it. We have no nos 4 and 5 starters at this point.

I think the Sox will be missing the boat if we don't try and sign Colon to a long term deal and Loaiza also. Loaiza has shown he is a top notch hurler. I also think that, 2-7 record aside, we should take a certain baseball writers advice and silently and professionally continue talking with Mark Buerhle and his agent about a deal. I have to wonder sometimes about these sports agents. The players put all their trust in thse guys who see a big paycheck and ask for the moon. Well, the moon ain't there anymore as far as big bucks are concerned. I think you will see very few huge multi year billion $$$ contracts in the future. Mark is a great pitcher and would be well worth our effort to keep him in a Sox uniform.

long term deal and Loaiza also. Loaiza has shown he is a top notch hurler.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. When talking about Loaiza, I don't see how anybody can just throw away 7-8 years of very mediocre pitching based on 2 months of success. He's pitching great, and I'm ecstatic we have him right now, but a long term deal? Slowwww dowwwwwwwnnnnnn.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  When talking about Loaiza, I don't see how anybody can just throw away 7-8 years of very mediocre pitching based on 2 months of success.  He's pitching great, and I'm ecstatic we have him right now, but a long term deal?  Slowwww dowwwwwwwnnnnnn.

I agree. There have been a ton of guys that have had mediocre careers and then suddenly exploded with one great year, only to return to mediocre. Floyd Bannister was a good example of that.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  When talking about Loaiza, I don't see how anybody can just throw away 7-8 years of very mediocre pitching based on 2 months of success.  He's pitching great, and I'm ecstatic we have him right now, but a long term deal?  Slowwww dowwwwwwwnnnnnn.

My point on him was that we have him for next year realatively cheap if he keeps this up. Maybe he is like a Moyer type that is figuring out how to pitch in the majors. If he falls apart we will be 10 out in a hurry. He is only 31. Look at Matt Clement he is the same type of pitcher that is justing getting it together. I think he is 30 as well. Also note Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. I am not putting him in this class but he was always pretty highly touted and may do good things for us. My basic point was to try and lock up Colon and Buerhle as some sort of package and deal with Loiaza at some other point. We are not serious and we will not do this.

Next years rotation: Buerhle, Loiaza(assuming we pick up the $2M option,) Garland, Wright, and (Rauch, Stewart, Cotts,etc.) This does nothing for me. And will finally do me in on the season ticket plan.

I think this is the worst time to negotiate with Loiza... he's leading the league in ERA! While I'm rooting for this to continue, does anyone really believe that a 31-year old pitcher with a career ERA of 4.75 will suddenly become a 2.00 ERA guy for a full season or more? Its possible that he can be a 3-4 ERA guy at best... but why not wait to see what he becomes, because he's not getting any better than he is right now.