Derek Lee signs extention

Dick Allen

I'm kind of surprised. I think he could have got a lot more cash had he become a free agent after this season. Actually its worth a little more, because the contract takes effect this season and his $9.2 million for this season gets ripped up. A complete no trade clause.

Edited by Dick Allen

If D-Lee keeps playing like he did last year, that's a decent price. If he regresses a bit towards his .275-ish average with low-30's power (like he did for every year of his career but last year), the price isn't so good. I seriously doubt he hits well over .300 with 45 homers again.

It's not that big a discount for the Cubs either way. It's a 5-65 contract, which is slightly more than Paulie got. I think it'd be a bit of a stretch for him to get anything more than 5-75 (years or money) on the open market. He is going to be 31 at the end of the season and only has one really good season under his belt.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
How can it be a good deal for Lee?

Sure he'll get paid but he's stuck with the Cubs and with no chance to win.

If he thinks it's a good deal for him, then it is.

He must've wanted to stay there to insist on a full no-trade, and 65 million is ridiculous money, whether or not there was MORE ridiculous money out there.

He seems to want the security of knowing where he's going to play for the next 5 years, and now he has it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
If he thinks it's a good deal for him, then it is.

He must've wanted to stay there to insist on a full no-trade, and 65 million is ridiculous money, whether or not there was MORE ridiculous money out there.

He seems to want the security of knowing where he's going to play for the next 5 years, and now he has it.

That's one thing I admire about players, well the honest ones.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
How can it be a good deal for Lee?

Sure he'll get paid but he's stuck with the Cubs and with no chance to win.

5/65 is a damn good deal for a guy thought to be an underachiever his whole career as of March 2005. And the Cubs have a chance to get in the playoffs with as bad as the NL and NL Central are, plus even if they didn't, it's all about the money 99 times out of 100.

Do players want to win? Hell yeah, but if they lose and get their big money, no big deal for them.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Why the hell did Lee do this? If Aramis was locked, I could understand, but that's bull. Ramirez can opt out of his contract this winter and hit the market. And he could easily command a 5-year 75M deal, since he's put up better numbers than Adrian Beltre and Beltre has a 5-year 65M deal.

Comparing contracts and performances doesn't really work. Not every superstar is making what he is worth (Pujols, Santana), and on the other side a lot of guys are overpaid (Beltre, Sexon, Beltran).

If you really want to use that approach though, let's come up with a more relevant comparison. Is Lee really that much better than Paul Konerko, the guy who was the team leader on a champion, was the top FA on the market, and signed for 5-60?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
Comparing contracts and performances doesn't really work. Not every superstar is making what he is worth (Pujols, Santana), and on the other side a lot of guys are overpaid (Beltre, Sexon, Beltran).

If you really want to use that approach though, let's come up with a more relevant comparison. Is Lee really that much better than Paul Konerko, the guy who was the team leader on a champion, was the top FA on the market, and signed for 5-60?

The Derek Lee of last year? Absolutely. He was the best player in baseball last year, all around. If you could guarantee Lee could repeat last season with the bat, he'd be worth $18-$20 mil, or >$20 mil if he went to the Yankees.

But as others have pointed out, the Lee of last year was vastly above the Lee of previous years. I for one still don't know how he can expect to repeat last year's numbers, simply because last year he was just that good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
The Derek Lee of last year?  Absolutely.  He was the best player in baseball last year, all around.  If you could guarantee Lee could repeat last season with the bat, he'd be worth $18-$20 mil, or >$20 mil if he went to the Yankees.

But as others have pointed out, the Lee of last year was vastly above the Lee of previous years.  I for one still don't know how he can expect to repeat last year's numbers, simply because last year he was just that good.

That's the point, there's no way he repeats last year's numbers, even if he has another good year. I'd still say he's not worth more than $15 mil, few guys are. If he had about 3 years under his belt last year and was a few years younger then maybe. Beltran was only 27, coming off a monster year, and played a premium position and he couldn't get that much money.

I'd still take Pujols at $10 mil a year. It might be a really long term deal, but that price is great.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
That's the point, there's no way he repeats last year's numbers, even if he has another good year. I'd still say he's not worth more than $15 mil, few guys are. If he had about 3 years under his belt last year and was a few years younger then maybe.

I'd still take Pujols at $10 mil a year. It might be a really long term deal, but that price is great.

Pujols makes $14M this year.

If you really want a deal, $472K for Miguel Cabrera, 2007 will be his first year of arb. He's so underpaid it's not even funny.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Pujols makes $14M this year.

If you really want a deal, $472K for Miguel Cabrera, 2007 will be his first year of arb. He's so underpaid it's not even funny.

My bad, thought Pujols signed for 10 years at $100 mil and these years were less money. Obviously it's only 7 years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
My bad, thought Pujols signed for 10 years at $100 mil and these years were less money. Obviously it's structured differently.

They did a "Cleveland" style deal with him...big deal, up-front money, in exchange for dropping arbitration and giving the Cards an additional three years before he hit FA if I got the details right. He played his first 3 seasons for the league minimum if I understand the facts right.

7 years, $100 million. And worth every damn penny.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
My bad, thought Pujols signed for 10 years at $100 mil and these years were less money. Obviously it's structured differently.

It's 7 years, $100M

2004 - $7.5M

2005 - $11M

2006 - $14M

2007 - $15M

2008 - $16M

2009 - $16M

2010 - $16M

2011 - $16M option + $3M buyout

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
They did a "Cleveland" style deal with him...big deal, up-front money, in exchange for dropping arbitration and giving the Cards an additional three years before he hit FA if I got the details right.  He played his first 3 seasons for the league minimum if I understand the facts right.

7 years, $100 million.  And worth every damn penny.

Plus they convinced him to take deffered money, $3M of his '07-'10 salary is deffered to 2020-2029 - $1.2M per with NO interest.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)

I'd personally take Lee over Konerko. That's not to say I don't like PK, I just think the Lee is the better overall player.

I think you're short-changing Lee's pre-2005 years a little bit. He's always been a pretty damn good hitter, especially his 2002 and '03 seasons (131 and 135 OPS+s in those two years).

What I guess I'm saying is, I don't know how one can be a fan of the Konerko contract while disliking the Lee contract. They're very similar contracts, other than the full NTC in D-Lee's. I think Derrek Lee, though, is the better player (IMO), and I think the contract is reasonable. Not a bargain, but not grossly overpaying either.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
I'd personally take Lee over Konerko.  That's not to say I don't like PK, I just think the Lee is the better overall player. 

I think you're short-changing Lee's pre-2005 years a little bit.  He's always been a pretty damn good hitter, especially his 2002 and '03 seasons (131 and 135 OPS+s in those two years). 

What I guess I'm saying is, I don't know how one can be a fan of the Konerko contract while disliking the Lee contract.  They're very similar contracts, other than the full NTC in D-Lee's.  I think Derrek Lee, though, is the better player (IMO), and I think the contract is reasonable.  Not a bargain, but not grossly overpaying either.

Ya, give me DLee over Paul as well. Nothing against PK.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
I'd personally take Lee over Konerko.  That's not to say I don't like PK, I just think the Lee is the better overall player. 

I think you're short-changing Lee's pre-2005 years a little bit.  He's always been a pretty damn good hitter, especially his 2002 and '03 seasons (131 and 135 OPS+s in those two years). 

What I guess I'm saying is, I don't know how one can be a fan of the Konerko contract while disliking the Lee contract.  They're very similar contracts, other than the full NTC in D-Lee's.  I think Derrek Lee, though, is the better player (IMO), and I think the contract is reasonable.  Not a bargain, but not grossly overpaying either.

If DLee does for the next few years what he did last year, then yeah, this deal is a bargain. If he was hitting FA with 2 batting titles (or close to that), 2 years of 45 home runs, and as many Gold Gloves as he's earned (unlike Jeter, he's earned whatever ones he has)...He could break the bank in Boston or NY.

On the other hand, his 3 years before that, he put up numbers that were good, but not great. OPS about 875 or so, never knocked in 100 runs, 27-32 home runs. You give me the choice between Konerko and that Lee, even given Lee's better defense, and I probably take Konerko.

And anywho...I still think PK's primed for a dynamite season this year, so if he does what I think he can do...this whole discussion might be rendered moot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
If DLee does for the next few years what he did last year, then yeah, this deal is a bargain.  If he was hitting FA with 2 batting titles (or close to that), 2 years of 45 home runs, and as many Gold Gloves as he's earned (unlike Jeter, he's earned whatever ones he has)...He could break the bank in Boston or NY.

On the other hand, his 3 years before that, he put up numbers that were good, but not great.  OPS about 875 or so, never knocked in 100 runs, 27-32 home runs.  You give me the choice between Konerko and that Lee, even given Lee's better defense, and I probably take Konerko.

And anywho...I still think PK's primed for a dynamite season this year, so if he does what I think he can do...this whole discussion might be rendered moot.

DLee can actually run as well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
DLee can actually run as well.

Usually, the rough %age that the stat guys tell us you have to hit in order to have your steals help a team instead of hurt it is about 75%. DLee has only beaten that number 1 time in his career. What year? You guessed it. Frank Stallone.

Wait, that's not right. He did it in 2005.