Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson quotes

WinningUgly85

Found this on wikipedia when I searched for Hawk and DJ.

Fact

While playing for the Athletics, Harrelson invented the batting glove by wearing a golf glove while batting, according to The Dickson Baseball Dictionary, by Paul Dickson.

Catch phrases

"I tell you what" - used at beginning or end of any statement for emphasis

"I am telling you what" - see above

"I am going to tell you what" - see above

"I am fixin' to tell you what" - see above

"Boy I tell you what"- see above

"Hiney Bird" - a bird that flies in perfectly executed concentric circles until it flies up his own behind and disappears forever (a reference to Jay Mariotti.)

"Sit Back, Relax, and Strap it Down!" - when the pre-game analysis of the two teams ends

"That's a can o' corn" - when any batter hits a lazy fly ball

""That ball hit deep. Waaaaaaaaaay back. He looks up, you can put it on the booooooooooooooaaaaaaard...YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!" (D.J. joins in) - when a Sox batter hits a home run

"Mercy!" - usually after a great play, or when the White Sox are having a big inning

"HE GONE!" - when a Sox pitcher strikes out an opposing batter

"Right size, wrong shape." - when a ball with home run distance goes foul

"Rack 'em up!" - when Sox defenders successfully execute a double play

"Duck snort" - a short, hard fly ball that lands in the gap between an infielder and an outfielder

"STRETCH!" - when a Sox batter hits a deep ball that has the potential to go over the wall for a home run

"Souvenir right/left side" - when a player hits a ball foul into the stands on the left or right side

"Hang whoop'um" - when a player hits a hard line drive right to an infielder

"Zone 'em in, Reel 'em in, and light her up" - when a Sox player has a count with 3 balls, meaning to draw a walk

"You can cancel the postgame show" - when a batter breaks up a pitcher's no-hit bid

"Grab some bench!" - when a Sox pitcher strikes out an opposing batter

"Gas" - when a Sox pitcher throws a fastball on which the batter whiffs

"WAY BACK!" - when a Sox player hits a ball so far it is a no-doubt home run

"Get foul!" - when an opposing player hits a ball that might go foul, and will be serious trouble for the Sox if it doesn't.

"Stay fair..it will!" - when a Sox player hits a ball that might go foul, but doesn't

"That ball was kilt" - when a Sox player hits a ball (usually a long homerun) with tremendous force

"Sacks packed with Sox" - when the Sox are batting and have the bases loaded

"That'll load 'em up" - a play (usually a base on balls) loading the bases while the Sox are batting

"Time to cinch it up and hunker down" - when a batter has two strikes and is behind in the count

"Chopper Two Hopper" - when a batter swings down on a pitch and hits a two hopper to an infielder

"And here's (Player) He's Due" - When the player coming to the plate has no hits in the game

"It's Sock it Thome time!" - whenever Sox slugger Jim Thome comes to bat in a crucial situation and Hawk has a strong feeling he will come through

"Come on (Player's number, e.g. 24) One time" - when Hawk is hoping for clutch heroics from an unlikely source

"That one had eyes on it" - referring to a sharp line drive hit by a player

"Watch out" - when a player lines a foul ball into the stands

"That'll get the job done" - when a Sox batter sacrifices a baserunner, often a fly ball, to bring him home

"But the damage is done" - when the Sox end a productive inning

"But a crooked number goes up on the board" - after a team scored two or more runs in an inning

"Look at dis" - when the Sox get a timely hit or make a great defensive gem

"Man, that is some B.S. right there" - when Hawk gets extremely angry at an umpire's call

"He's got a chance to be something special" - when Hawk is optimistic about a young player's future (usually right after, "Boy I tell you what")

"He just missed it" - when a Sox batter hits a deep fly ball, almost a home run

"C'mon (Player), first and third him" - when there's a runner on first and Hawk wants a single to right field

"Dreaded leadoff walk" - when a Sox player walks the first batter of an inning

"Lance Johnson jump" - when a baserunner takes a nearly suicidal leadoff when attempting to steal a base (a reference to the great Sox base stealer Lance Johnson)

"Get on back there, stretch, c'mon STRETCH!" - when a ball just barely makes it over the fence

"Down to the last bullet" - when a team has two strikes and two outs in their final inning

"Ball four base hit" - when a Sox hitter has a full count and Hawk wants either a walk or a hit on the next pitch

"That's trouble" - when the opposing team gets a hit to score at least one run

"Give 'em a thrill" - when a Sox player has a chance to make the crowd roar with excitement

"Feisty" - Hawk's nickname for broadcast partner D.J.

"Your what hurts?" - Hawk's response to any slightly homoerrotic comment by broadcast partner D.J.

"Where was that pitch?" - when the umpire calls a ball that Hawk thinks was a strike

"Before we show you our picks to click you at home select yours" - referring to the daily contest between anouncers which player will have the best game

"I loooooove that duck." - when Hawk expresses his love for the duck that shows up on the graphic for the daily Aflac Trivia Question

"Carmines" - the nickname Hawk has for the Red Sox (carmine is a shade of red)

"Twinkies" - the nickname Hawk has for the Twins

"And this ballgame...is OVA!!" - after the Sox earn a victory (especially emphatic if it is an exciting game)

"That'll end the [inning number]. Good guys in trouble." - after the opposing team ends their half of the inning and the Sox are down a lot of runs

"Did he? Yes he did!" - when an opposing batter strikes out on a close check-swing

"There's a base hit up the middle right through the wickets." - after a base hit through the pitcher's legs

"Pickett (Pick it) Wilson!" - after a Sox infielder makes a tough play on a ground ball

"Carmine derriere" - Hawk's affectionate term for a fiercely competitive player

"I love fireworks in the day time." - Hawk says when during a day game a Sox player hits a home run and the stadium shoots off fireworks.

"Lookin' for it, got it, couldn't do nothing with it" - when a Sox player guesses correctly what/where the next pitch will be, and just misses hitting it well.

"Suck'em up Joe" - when the opposing team hits a ball towards third baseman Joe Crede.

Somebody has to make a sound board of hawk.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Hawk and DJ have really came a long way together. I really enjoy listening to them. And when Hawk retires we will all see: UHHHH OHHHH BYEEE BYEEE t-shirts.

Hawk will not retire. He will die.

I don't think they ever get old.....Yes after getting the MLB package on comcast hawk is the biggest homer I have herd on any broadcast.....but ya know what I freakin love it. Just because you know he is pullin for the team just as much as you......When Hawk leaves/retires its gonna be a sad day, even to the people at heavethehawk.com.....The only thing I hate is he never reads my damn emails

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
the worst part is i find myself using these more and more in my daily life. at least a half dozen of those i've probably said today, and it is even worse when watching a game.

I'm guilty of using Hawkisms outside the context of viewing a game. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

For example, when playing bags I may let out a few "stretches" to extend the bag.

Or when I'm approaching an intersection with an extended green light I'm thinking to myself, "Stay Green! Stay Green..........................it will."

Even with their inclusion in daily life, Hawkisms often get on my nerves. More noteably when long fly balls approach the outfield fences, or when we're losing and I have to hear about our lack of a "rhythm." Or how Sox have beaten themselves more this year than all of last year. Losses are typically the most unbearable to hear Hawk, because usually he begins spinning the particular game and trying to sell our team to the viewers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Ya, I'd bet a ton of people here use hawkisms all the time. Like flash said it's really unavoidable.

Yep, I do too. Most of them are cliche now (which bothers me), but some of them are just so awesome that you have to use them, and they are why I can tolerate Hawk.

"He Gawn"

"Rack 'Em Up"

"*Insert City name here*....YEEEEEEEES!"

"You can put it on the booooooooard, YEEEEEEEEES!"

"Tell you what D.J., he just missed that one....."

"Right Size, Wrong Shape"

"GAAAAAAAAAAS"

Now, you look at that and say "he uses half a dozen of them or so, that's a lot"....but considering how many Hawkisms there are, I really only use a small fraction of them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The Hawkisms are what makes him Hawk. That's what makes him great. Of course he's a homer...but so what? If you want someone to call a game, watch Vin Scully. If you want to watch the game with a friend, sitting on the couch, drinking a beer, smoking a stogie...listen to Hawk. At least that's the way I see it.

He has the perfect mixture of baseball knowledge and pure tom-foolery. I, for one, love and miss him, now that I have to hear the talking dead here in Texas. Thank the lord for Milo Hamilton on Astros radio...it's good to hear someone cheer for a team.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
I added Carmine Derriere and Suck'em up Joe. It's my contribution to the Encyclopedia Humana.

Since I'd have to register to post entries, I'll leave several for someone else to add:

-"That's a bede pitch: " a well located pitch either called a strike or fouled off.

-"Nasty Nats:" Nickname for the Washington Nationals

-"Greg Maddux....:" epitome of man-love for Hawk Harrelson. Often mentions his "sphincter becoming tight" watching Greg pitch.

-"He's a good looking young player:" sometimes applies to someone's talent, other times to their actual apperance.

-"Outside edge of the outside corner:" a pitch which Harrelson believes should have been called a ball.

Edited by Flash Tizzle