Little blurb from the Trib on CNNSI

mmmmmbeeer

"The White Sox could take a shot at Rangers shortstop Michael Young as part of a major deal. Young can become a free agent after 2007, and the Sox could elect to take a run at him then. The Sox have thoroughly scouted Texas pitching prospects Edison Volquez, John Danks, Thomas Diamond, Nick Masset and Eric Hurley, and preliminary talks last November broke down when the Rangers were unwilling to part with Danks or Diamond in a multiplayer trade."

-- Chicago Tribune

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scor...ex.html?cnn=yes

Never knew that we had talked to Texas about Young. I know a Young acquisition has been discussed on here before, and I believe everyone loved the idea. No doubt TEX needs pitching, so we'd matchup with them well as a trading partner.

If we could land one of those pitching prospects besides Diamond who i dont think much of and Young Ill be very happy. Danks has always struggled at first and than dominated each lvl he has been at and I think is going to be awesome. Hurley and Volquez both have great stuff too and can be aces.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
So what happens with Iguchi? Because from everything I've ever heard or read, Michael Young is an average to slightly below average defensive SS, so he shouldn't be playing it with a pitching staff so dependent upon defense.

Iguchi is a Free Agent at the end of 2007.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
Iguchi is a Free Agent at the end of 2007.

So if Young plays SS in 07, and 2B in 08, who plays SS in 08? And what happens with Uribe?

I would love Young on the Sox, but I am just not sure how exactly this would work out without trading Goochi(which is a possibility too I suppose)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
So if Young plays SS in 07, and 2B in 08, who plays SS in 08? And what happens with Uribe?

I would love Young on the Sox, but I am just not sure how exactly this would work out without trading Goochi(which is a possibility too I suppose)

IF robert valido has a solid 07 season, he may be a posibility for SS in 08. Just throwing it out there.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
IF robert valido has a solid 07 season, he may be a posibility for SS in 08. Just throwing it out there.

Gonna definitely have to say extremely doubtful. Not only did his bat completely disappear, but it was in AA.

It's probably going to take 2 years to get his name back on the radar.

Solid defensively though from everything I've heard.

Young and Danks please. :wub:

Offer them Contreras, Josh Fields (they can move Hank Blalock in another deal for more pitching), and Uribe.

Personally I really think, if there's a team we're going to trade with this off-season, it'll be Texas.

Jon Daniels has shown he's a deal-maker, and they need an improvement in pitching, and that's something we can offer them.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
DB, you can keep offering Contreras, but it's not going to happen. He has a full no-trade clause in '07.

As a SS, Young makes a good 2B.

I thought it was this season?

Oh well, shows how much I've been following the Sox lately if you're right. :lol:

Sub in another starter like Freddy then.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Blalock has been mentioned as being on the trading block. But who would replace him at 3b? If they don't have anyone internal, Fields would have to look good to them. I'm sure Tex. could get some pitching for Blalock

Maybe the Cubs could be interested in trading for Hank especially if Ramirez does bolt during FA (which is looking likely).

So Fields could certainly be a fit there.

Well since young is going into his final year of his deal and so is Garcia, it would make sense for both teams. Texas NEEDS pitching and we LOVE Young. Hmm could an Uribe/Garcia for Young type deal occur? I can see it. Can Young be a leadoff hitter?

Okay now a light bulb just went on in my head. First off patch up the bullpen!!!! Then trade Garcia and Uribe for Young. Next, sign Pierre or Roberts to play LF.

2006 Starting Lineup

Pierre or Roberts LF

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

Thome DH

Pauly 1B

Young SS

Crede 3B

AJ C

Anderson CF

Rotation:

Buerhle

Garland

Contreras

Vazquez

McCarthy

Hell NO. Otsuka setup for the Padres, so I figured he could go back to becoming a 7th/ 8th inning guy for us. I am just trying to find ways to improve the bullpen, and imo, Otsuka would go a long way in doing so. Now the people we would have to give up for him, that might be another story.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
Well since young is going into his final year of his deal and so is Garcia, it would make sense for both teams. Texas NEEDS pitching and we LOVE Young. Hmm could an Uribe/Garcia for Young type deal occur? I can see it. Can Young be a leadoff hitter?

Okay now a light bulb just went on in my head. First off patch up the bullpen!!!! Then trade Garcia and Uribe for Young. Next, sign Pierre or Roberts to play LF.

2006 Starting Lineup

Pierre or Roberts LF

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

Thome DH

Pauly 1B

Young SS

Crede 3B

AJ C

Anderson CF

Rotation:

Buerhle

Garland

Contreras

Vazquez

McCarthy

That would be great, but your lineup is a bit off:

Pierre or Roberts LF

Young SS

Dye

Thome

Pauly

Iguchi

Crede

AJ

Anderson

I think the Sox will try as hard as they can to get Iguchi out of the No. 2 slot if they can. He's a run producer and even though he's done a fantastic job as a 2, he should be given the chance to drive in some runs.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
That would be great, but your lineup is a bit off:

Pierre or Roberts LF

Young SS

Dye

Thome

Pauly

Iguchi

Crede

AJ

Anderson

I think the Sox will try as hard as they can to get Iguchi out of the No. 2 slot if they can. He's a run producer and even though he's done a fantastic job as a 2, he should be given the chance to drive in some runs.

yea i was thinking Young would be a better fit for #2. But either or we would finally have a balanced lineup again. Last year just wasn't balanced enough.

Why does it seem like everyone wants to get rid of Iguchi? He has been nothing but solid since he came over here. Yea, there are times his head is up his ass, but which player on the Sox hasnt been like that one way or another? Iguchi is one of the best 2 hitters in baseball, and getting a guy like Young will only make him better if he moves down to number 6 or 7 in the lineup, a spot that would make him comfortable.