Rocco Baldelli

sox-r-us

This blurb from mlb.com has the salary # for Baldelli's contract. Very attractive if we can swing a deal for him.

==============

Braves: A team source has indicated that the Braves are actively attempting to complete a trade for Tampa Bay's Rocco Baldelli. Atlanta is very reluctant to include left-handed starter Chuck James in any deal, but would be willing to provide top catching prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Devil Rays have said that they aren't interested in Adam LaRoche, and are seeking non-arbitration-eligible players.

The Devil Rays are believed to have said they want James in any potential deal for Baldelli, but having just traded left-hander Horacio Ramirez to Seattle, the Braves are concerned about depth in their starting rotation. At the same time, they believe James is capable of being a 15-game winner in 2007. The 25-year-old southpaw won 11 of the 18 starts he made last season, and surrendered two earned runs or fewer in nine of his final 11 starts.

Next season, Baldelli, 25, would serve as Atlanta's leadoff hitter and everyday left fielder. If Andruw Jones makes his expected departure after 2007, Baldelli would then become the club's starting center fielder.

Baldelli's contract is an attractive one. He'll make just $750,000 this year, which would allow him to fit within Atlanta's tight financial constraints. His contract includes escalators if he makes 600 plate appearances in a season. But even if he were to reach that mark in 2007, his salary would be just $2.5 million. In 2008, his salary wouldn't rise any higher than $4 million. The final three years (2009-2011) in his current contract are all club options. The option for 2011 is just $9 million.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this blurb on what the Devil Rays are asking for Baldelli from the Denver Post:

"Rocco Baldelli has been a primary target for the Rockies from the start of the offseason, but the Devil Rays would want two quality arms and a shortstop to give up the run-producing center fielder."

I would suspect a quality SP and bullpen guy would count among the "two quality arms" and not necessarily two SP prospects.

Robert Valido did go to school in FLA. And the sox could afford to part with two arms.

Valido battled hand issues last yr, though and still would have to be considered a very good prospect. I'm not sure I'd want the sox to give him up, seeing how poor the sox are at SS in the minors. Valido's value would be pretty low in a trade, and probably more valuable to the sox if he's healthy in 2007

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
the drays always ask way too damn much for their players

They're asking a ton for a young player who has a great bat, good defense, and a great contract. That's not too damn much, that's getting a full return on your product.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
They're asking a ton for a young player who has a great bat, good defense, and a great contract. That's not too damn much, that's getting a full return on your product.

and severe health questions...

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)

Chris James is the Braves' equivalent to BMAC. Would you trade Brandon AND prospects for Baldelli? I sure wouldn't. They're asking for too much. They have too many outfielders down in Tampa and unless they learn that no one outside of the Mets are going to overpay for one of their players, they'll continue to have a glut of young stud players sitting on their bunch or getting pissed off because they're still stuck in the minors.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
Chris James is the Braves' equivalent to BMAC. Would you trade Brandon AND prospects for Baldelli? I sure wouldn't. They're asking for too much. They have too many outfielders down in Tampa and unless they learn that no one outside of the Mets are going to overpay for one of their players, they'll continue to have a glut of young stud players sitting on their bunch or getting pissed off because they're still stuck in the minors.

ATL isn't trading James. But if the Rockies have enough players to acquire Baldelli, the sox certainly could as well. If the sox have targeted Baldelli as their guy, the usually make the deal. Whether they will or not, who knows. But the D Rays should be familiar with the sox AA and AAA players, as the Drays have their minor league teams in the same divisions

Here's a question--would you be willing to part with a package starting with top arms like Lance Broadway and Boone Logan [and a 'throw in' such as Tracey or Heath Phillips, and probably a position player prospect such as a C or SS] for Baldelli?

Normally, I'd say no, with Broadway close to helping the sox. Yet getting Baldelli would allow the sox to make two additional moves that could get the sox prospects to replace the ones they trade--Pods could be moved, as well as Anderson. Anderson would be moved very early, say to the Marlins having an arm to replace Lance in AA/ on the cusp of AAA in a guy like Jose Garcia. Pods might and could stick around, depending on how Sweeney does in Spring, and how Baldelli looks in the leadoff spot. Pods could be moved come spring if another team has an injury to their leadoff guy.

The key IMO would be getting a SP prospect in return for Anderson, to replace Lance.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Here's a question--would you be willing to part with a package starting with top arms like Lance Broadway and Boone Logan [and a 'throw in' such as Tracey or Heath Phillips, and probably a position player prospect such as a C or SS] for Baldelli?

Normally, I'd say no, with Broadway close to helping the sox. Yet getting Baldelli would allow the sox to make two additional moves that could get the sox prospects to replace the ones they trade--Pods could be moved, as well as Anderson. Anderson would be moved very early, say to the Marlins having an arm to replace Lance in AA/ on the cusp of AAA in a guy like Jose Garcia. Pods might and could stick around, depending on how Sweeney does in Spring, and how Baldelli looks in the leadoff spot. Pods could be moved come spring if another team has an injury to their leadoff guy.

The key IMO would be getting a SP prospect in return for Anderson, to replace Lance.

"top arms" like broadway and booooone? only in the white sox farm system could those be considered top arms. and we dont have any position player prospects at catcher or ss. donny lucy? robert valido? i dont think those guys will draw much, if any, interest. again, the rays have turned down some substantial deals for rocco.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
"top arms" like broadway and booooone? only in the white sox farm system could those be considered top arms. and we dont have any position player prospects at catcher or ss. donny lucy? robert valido? i dont think those guys will draw much, if any, interest. again, the rays have turned down some substantial deals for rocco.

Why must people hate on Broadway? He's an upper-end arm in any organization.

There's strong mail that the Rockies are going to try and trade Taveras for a young pitcher. They'll then trade that young pitcher, with one from their system and Clint Barmes to acquire Baldelli, because remember the asking price is 2 young pitchers and a SS.

For us, that's basically the equivalent of trading BA, Uribe and a young pitcher from our system.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)

Broadway and boone are two of the sox best young pitchers. Are they best the sox have? No. Could the sox do without them? That's the point. Yet they have value. Valido had a bad 2006 but has been very solid prior and still has to be considered a good prospect.

As far as deals the Rays have turned down, I haven't seen are heard any publicly. Do you have specifics or any links?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
There's strong mail that the Rockies are going to try and trade Taveras for a young pitcher. They'll then trade that young pitcher, with one from their system and Clint Barmes to acquire Baldelli, because remember the asking price is 2 young pitchers and a SS.

For us, that's basically the equivalent of trading BA, Uribe and a young pitcher from our system.

The Marlins have been rumored as a potential final stop for Tavares for quite some time, even before he was moved to the Rockies.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
So if we send Anderson, Floyd or Danks, and another arm, does that change people's opinions of either the Garcia or McCarthy deals depending on which guy gets dealt?

If we get Baldelli then Anderson is expendable so no worries there. I think you include a Sisco and Broadway, Massett or Floyd but not Danks, Gio, Carlos Vasquez or Rasner.

I think the Whitesox were high on Broadway, Haeger, Lucas Harrell and Adam Russell prior to these latest trades so now it all depends on who they package from their recent acquisitions. If it includes Broadway, then you avoid one of the studs they just picked up. I hang onto the lefties (Danks, Gio and Carlos V) at all costs and ship some of the "power-armed" righties.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
On the radio this morning Bruce Levine said that the Sox and D-Rays are talking again about Baldelli. Levine said that the D-Rays would want BA and 2 quality pitching prospects.

If the Drays need/ want to move Baldelli, somehow I think KW will offer the best package for him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
So if we send Anderson, Floyd or Danks, and another arm, does that change people's opinions of either the Garcia or McCarthy deals depending on which guy gets dealt?

Danks isn't moving. Though I could see one of Floyd or Gio in a move for Baldelli

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I'd be pissed if we gave up Gio or Danks.

How long is Baldelli under contract for?

5 more years

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I'd be pissed if we gave up Gio or Danks.

KW's got a huge mancrush on Danks. He's worked too hard to give him up now. Yet Gio is from FLA. With him probably ready to help in the bullpen in '07 [the DRays biggest hole], and ready for the rotation in 2008, the D Rays would have to be interested in him.

If the Sox didn't have Danks, I'd say Gio wasn't going anywhere. But KW did move him once before.