McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
McCarthy starts for a whole year: honestly, give me his end of year stats.

HONEST NOW

After what we went through for the past decade with our 5th SP, it makes absolutely no sense to trade the thing you have that resembles a consistent major league SP to create the debacle we all know too well. I personally don't view Brandon as a savior, but I do believe he was capable of adding relatively consistent performances in the 5th spot. Danks and Floyd both have issues that need to be worked out.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
I'm feeling like these guys are going to be packaged for a larger deal. But who knows, I don't like this initial deal if it's by itself, but if KW can combine these prospects in a trade for a superstar or something, like Tejada, then maybe I like it a bit more. So I'm going to wait on this a few days before I make judgements.

Bedard instead of Tejada... :pray

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Worst Festivus ever!!!

Second that notion. Thanks KW! What will happen when these young pitchers ended up being good, we still have to pay them but I guess we can always trade them.

BMAC is young, cheap and appears ready to step in the rotation. Why trade him while we still have Vazquez who cant get out of the 5th inning while earning millions.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
McCarthy starts for a whole year: honestly, give me his end of year stats.

still waiting for someone to take me up on this.

i think the reason people dont want to is b/c of that realization that Brandon still was a prospect himself, in a sense. waiting for his coming-of-age.

yet now he was the 2007 sure thing?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I'm feeling like these guys are going to be packaged for a larger deal. But who knows, I don't like this initial deal if it's by itself, but if KW can combine these prospects in a trade for a superstar or something, like Tejada, then maybe I like it a bit more. So I'm going to wait on this a few days before I make judgements.

That would be even worse. Offense isn't the problem. It's clearly pitching. If we're trading with the O's, we better be getting Bedard.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
still waiting for someone to take me up on this.

i think the reason people dont want to is b/c of that realization that Brandon still was a prospect himself, in a sense. waiting for his coming-of-age.

yet now he was the 2007 sure thing?

Sure thing to do what?

He's a much bigger "sure thing" than Floyd or Danks. Thats for damn sure.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Sure thing to do what?

He's a much bigger "sure thing" than Floyd or Danks. Thats for damn sure.

i'd agree McCarthy is more of a sure thing than those kids as a 2007 5th starter.

i'm willing to give that up though for more later.

Edited by Princess Dye

per baseball america

1. John Danks, lhp Born: April 15, 1985 • B-T: L-L • Ht: 6-1 • Wt: 200

Drafted: HS--Round Rock, Texas, 2003 (1st round) • Signed by: Randy Taylor

John DanksBackground: Throughout his career, Danks has been one of the youngest pitchers in his league and has started off each new stop by struggling against older competition. But every year, he makes adjustments, masters the level and advances to the next challenge. After he stumbled to a 7.15 ERA in April at Double-A Frisco, he went 4-0, 2.70 in his next eight starts to earn a promotion. He posted a 5.90 ERA in his first eight starts at Triple-A Oklahoma, then rallied to turn in a 2.32 ERA in his final six. Because he's lefthanded and has a deeper and more consistent repertoire, he has passed the other members of the DVD trio (Edinson Volquez, Thomas Diamond) to become the top pitching prospect in the system. The ninth overall pick in the 2003 draft, Danks comes from an athletic family. His father John played basketball at Texas, younger brother Jordan is a sophomore outfielder for the Longhorns and a possible first-rounder in the 2008 draft, and younger sister Emily is a standout high school volleyball player.

Strengths: Danks offers a rare package for a 21-year-old lefthander, with a polished three-pitch mix and a track record of success up through Triple-A. His tight 1-to-7 curveball rated as his best pitch coming out of high school, but since then his tumbling changeup has also become a plus offering. His changeup is now more reliable than his curveball. He also has a four-seam fastball that sits at 90-92 mph and tops out at 94. Danks added a two-seam version in 2006 to help him widen the strike zone. He has a clean arm action from a high-three-quarters slot and does a good job repeating his easy delivery. Danks has started to fill out his durable, athletic frame, and he could add a little more velocity. His baseball IQ is outstanding, and he has a better feel for pitching than most hurlers his age. He does a good job of holding runners, as nine of 21 basestealers (43 percent) were caught on his watch in 2006.

Weaknesses: At this point, it's just a matter of fine-tuning for Danks. He still needs to command his fastball better, because while he can throw it for strikes at any time, he gets punished sometimes when he leaves it up in the zone. His fastball is firm but not overpowering, so he needs to get ahead with it early in the count. Danks' command of his curveball comes and goes, though his changeup often bails him out. He'll need a more consistent curve in order to reach his ceiling as a No. 2 starter.

The Future: There was some sentiment that Danks could have started 2006 in the big leagues, but the Rangers were determined not to rush him and will continue to be patient. He'll have a chance to force his way into the big league rotation during spring training, but the more likely scenario is a return to Triple-A and a midseason debut in the majors. Once he settles in, Danks should pitch at or near the front of the Texas rotation for years to come.

8. Nick Masset, rhp Born: May 17, 1982 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-4 • Wt: 190

Drafted: St. Petersburg (Fla.) CC, D/F 2000 (8th round) • Signed by: Ray Jackson

Nick MassetBackground: Masset has possessed tantalizing stuff ever since his high school days, when Tommy John surgery as a senior hurt his draft stock. Signed as a draft-and-follow for $225,000, he appeared on the verge of big things after his breakout 2004 season, but got crushed in 2005 and was inconsistent in 2006. He finished the season in the majors before dominating as a closer in the Mexican Pacific League.

Strengths: Masset throws his fastball at 89-95 mph as a starter but ran it up to 97-98 in bullpen in Texas and Mexico. His hard 85-86 mph curveball with sharp downward bite rates as a plus pitch. His changeup and cutter/slider are at least average and help him against lefthanders.

Weaknesses: Erratic command spoiled Masset's 2005 season and still makes him more hittable than he should be. Despite his impressive array of four pitches, he has yet to locate them well enough to be a reliable starter. He showed plenty of moxie to bounce back from 2005 but must prove he can sustain success.

The Future: Masset may have pitched his way into the big league bullpen role with his strong winter. He still has the stuff and frame to be a durable, effective starter if he can master his command.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
if the one youre getting can be a ton better in 2 years. the one you give up is still an unknown for 2007. not on these boards, obviously, but he is an unknown.

So do you like Floyd as our 5th starter? Then eventually us bringing up Gio Gonzalez or Danks to try and fill that hole when Floyd f***s up?

And you don't know if Danks is going to be a ton better in 2 years.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
i'd agree McCarthy is more of a sure thing than those kids as a 2007 5th starter.

i'm willing to give that up though for more later.

Reword that to:

"i'm willing to give that up though for a CHANCE at more later."

You are still willing to sacrifice 2007 for a chance at more in 2008-2009?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
So as it stands right now, Floyd-Sisco-Danks are going at it for the 5th starter spot????

The 5th starter merry-go-round is BACK

Exactly. I truly hope KW has another trade in place to get another starter, because those guys aren't going to hold up in 2007.

BTW, I remember when I thought this offseason was way too boring. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.