McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
He's been saying were making sure were ready in the future all offseason long. I didn't know he meant we were rebuilding because at this point, there are too many question marks for a team that supposed to be a WS contender.

This isn't a WS contender right now. We have huge holes in LF, CF, and the #5 starter.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
losing Garcia and McCarthy.... isnt the team pretty much the same if we have a decent fifth starter and someone in RH relief that takes to it better than Brandon (not hard)

Who in the world is going to be our 5th starter? I hate to break it to people, but none of these guys we've added are close to being a starter in the American League this season.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
All signs point to yes.

i dont think so, he'll compete, but we will see......

KW has acquired some big time young arms though....floyd gio danks aardsma and even thornton were all 1st round arms, and sisco was a second. lets hope they can straighten them out and reach that potential

<!--quoteo(post=1334169:date=Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:26 PM:name=3E8)-->

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
<!--quotec-->All signs point to yes.

How do you feel about that? You probably know much, much more about prospects than I do. Can he be a consistently reliable reliever?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Brandon will be the better starter through out his career.

are people confident in Brandon for reasons beyond that stretch of games in 2005? i dont know what else people get so excited about.

a lot of people seem to totally ignore 06, in that he was out of his element. but when Brandon would talk about how he missed being able to set people up early in the game...how that was a big part of what he does...

doesnt it just reinforce the suspicion we've all had that his stuff isnt that high end? if the guys we got have that kind of stuff, i'm definitely willing to part with a 3.90 ERA 2007 starter.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
We're certainly going to regret letting Brandon go. I honestly can't believe we traded him, the more I think about this the more I want to kill someone, trading McCarthy is going to bite us in the ass this year and forever . Danks is fine but Brandon will be the better starter through out his career. As for Masset I assume he'll get a shot at the bullpen this season. I can't believe Brandon is gone.

Unfortunately for Brandon, Texas is not exactly the best place for him to 'shine'...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
If the goal is to acquire stud pitching prospects, which it clearly is, why was Garland more valuable than McCarthy -- why is Danks better than Hirsh? Can't say I quite like this trade -- leaves us with a huge fifth starter hole -- but, well, I never thought McCarthy was great. Wonder how he'll pitch in the August heat of Texas.

My mind is trying to get around this trade and I am still trying to figure out the Garcia deal too, but I can't say I am against ether. However, we trade our best prospect in McCarthy for two of Texas' best? Texas hasn't had a pitching staff to speak of forever. These two or three had better be REAL good. It makes you wonder how good the Sox organization really thinks about our own prospects? But, I don't agree with people calling for a trade of Garland, or Buerhle and Vazquez for that matter. They are proven and you need experience on the hill when competing for the Championship.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
are people confident in Brandon for reasons beyond that stretch of games in 2005? i dont know what else people get so excited about.

a lot of people seem to totally ignore 06, in that he was out of his element. but when Brandon would talk about how he missed being able to set people up early in the game...how that was a big part of what he does...

doesnt it just reinforce the suspicion we've all had that his stuff isnt that high end? if the guys we got have that kind of stuff, i'm definitely willing to part with a 3.90 ERA 2007 starter.

A 3.90 ERA is damn good for a 5th starter ... in the American League ... for as cheap as he is ... and with that ERA he would have been the best pitcher on the staff in '06.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

His stuff isnt high end, and even some Rangers fans are saying he throws "gas" which isnt true. His delivery also leaves a little to be desired with his elbow strain.

With that said, he is a 23 year old who shouldnt have been dealt. The deal would almost have been better dealing Garland who is a more expensive and same quality pitcher. really this deal shouldnt have been done at all. I think KW sees that aquiring young arms is going to give him all the leverage in the future for trades etc, but right now, I want to win.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)

Brandon hasn't hit his potential yet and he could be a #4 now. He's gaining weight which could add a few MPH to his FB. He could have been a starter for any other team in the league last season and we traded him for some prospects?

This is crazy, at the end of the 2006 season the Sox Starters were their strength and leverage in offseason negotiations, and now the Sox need a legitimate 5th starter.

Here comes Pineiro?

I really hope this is only the first step in a major acquisition. Otherwise, on its own this is a horrible move.

Sign Preston Wilson. Trade Pods.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
This makes the Vazquez trade even more disasterous, as now we have to trade McCarthy before we could even tell how he'd be as a normal starting pitcher. Why couldn't Ozzie have just retired after winning the WS like he said he would?

Yeah, Ozzie pulled the trigger on this deal......get real.