McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
How do you feel about that? You probably know much, much more about prospects than I do. Can he be a consistenly reliable reliever?

I do not know much about Masset, other than his strength seems to be that he can pop the fastball in the upper 90s and possesses a real sharp breaking ball. To me those sound like the attributes of the guys KW has been trying to acquire for the bullpen lately (Jenks, McDougal, Aardsma, Sisco). His control doesn't look to be above average so that doesn't bode well for a reliever. Who knows though, Masset had been a starter up until last year so maybe I'm wrong about him being in the pen and KW will give him the option to start in AAA like Sisco.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Let's see....Ozzie LOVES Vazquez, and hates McCarthy. Ozzie never felt comfortable starting McCarthy, as he found every excuse possible to not start him.

Are you even trying to make sense? When did he find every excuse? When did he say he LOVES Vaz and doesnt feel comfortable with BMAC? Kw made the trade, stop blaming Ozzie for everything you dont like.

Don't see why we can't get into the Zito sweepstakes. We clearly have cleared salary and have more coming off next year assuming Buehrle will be gone. Not to mention we were told if we came, they would spend.

We all are tired of the ?'s in the 5th starters spot and when we seemed to finally have an answer, it gone!

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
This makes the Vazquez trade even more disasterous, as now we have to trade McCarthy before we could even tell how he'd be as a normal starting pitcher. Why couldn't Ozzie have just retired after winning the WS like he said he would?

You honestly can't be that f***ing dense, can you?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
Are you even trying to make sense? When did he find every excuse? When did he say he LOVES Vaz and doesnt feel comfortable with BMAC? Kw made the trade, stop blaming Ozzie for everything you dont like.

Even when McCarthy was pitching great in 2005, Ozzie still found every excuse to keep Duque in the rotation. Then, whenever one of our starters sucked last year, he'd say things like the infamous "he's not Cy Young". Do you really think that Ozzie doesn't have a say in our transactions? There's been a few times in the past few years where KW mentioned that his coaches told them to go get such and such player.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Don't see why we can't get into the Zito sweepstakes. We clearly have cleared salary and have more coming off next year assuming Buehrle will be gone. Not to mention we were told if we came, they would spend.

We all are tired of the ?'s in the 5th starters spot and when we seemed to finally have an answer, it gone!

People are gonna lose interest. You can't start rebuilding the year after getting record attendance. A lot of fans will feel screwed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Even when McCarthy was pitching great in 2005, Ozzie still found every excuse to keep Duque in the rotation. Then, whenever one of our starters sucked last year, he'd say things like the infamous "he's not Cy Young". Do you really think that Ozzie doesn't have a say in our transactions? There's been a few times in the past few years where KW mentioned that his coaches told them to go get such and such player.

So, besides the fact that BMAC started for us at the end of 2005, Ozzie didnt want to start him. And when we had no openings in the rotation this year, Ozzie didnt like him. And when Texas came knocking on our door offering two nice prospects for BMAC, Ozzie decided to pull the trigger?

You couldnt possibly be that retarded could you? I hope its an act.

Danks and Masset will be good, but the farm system is so empty with position players that we can not afford to sacrifice 2007 for the future, i like what we have gotten in return (even tho we should get more, like hurley) but besides fields and sweeney, the system just doesnt have alot to offer

if K-Dub wants to compete after 07, he is going to need players with Dye, Iguchi type of production since they may be leaving, and who syays replacements from FA will pan out or cost much cheaper. I know we need pitching, and Kenny might be looking at a Minnesota type future with lots of young guys who just play really well, but how many playoffs series have they won? I want the Sox to be able to compete for the division, or wildcard spot, but i want them to be able to win a championship too

PS--- THx alot Cubbies, f***ers messed this f***ing market up

i think a big part of the backlash on this is the emotional response to trading a young pitcher who has shown something.

it's not necessarily about losing what McCarthy gave us the last two years. people here cant point to past McCarthy accomplishments and say what we lost. just 7 games in 2005.

KW does not follow the rules about "you dont trade a 23 yr old pitcher". he has no problem losing Brandon and working to get someone in the 5th role that will put up decent numbers, just as Brandon would have.

meanwhile, he takes a risk on potential worldbeaters - and if they dont work out, the 2007 5th starter role will probably be "decent" somehow anyway. this is the thought process of making a trade like this.

Edited by Princess Dye