GAME THREAD: LAAAAAAAAAAA vs Sox, 3:05pm

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
Not with the same hate for this organization that is being shown on this board day to day. When you do not like anything about the team anymore, you arent a fan, thats how it is.

I have spent enough time and money in my life on the White Sox that I should have the right to say anything I damn well please about this team. At risk of being condescending, fan is short for fanatic. The fact that people continue to spend countless hours discussing every aspect of the White Sox organization pretty much makes them a fanatic, for better or worse. You can sell all that other garbage about not being a fan to George Bush and his "patriotic" lemming supporters.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Using the reasoning many people stated for Garcia last year, does that mean our entire team is a bunch of pot heads?

I bet that's what Greggory_Pratt would be saying

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Jason Jennings: 212IP, 206H, 17HR, 85BB, 142SO, .258 BAA, 3.78ERA

Freddy Garcia: 216IP, 228H, 32HR, 48BB, 135SO, .267 BAA, 4.53ERA

What is the age difference between the two? How many years left on JJ's contract? What is the annual salary? I could look up myself but am too lazy. Just curious if we are really comparing two apples here.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Jason Jennings: 212IP, 206H, 17HR, 85BB, 142SO, .258 BAA, 3.78ERA

Freddy Garcia: 216IP, 228H, 32HR, 48BB, 135SO, .267 BAA, 4.53ERA

One obvious difference between the two is Garcia gave up 15 more HR's. But then again, he gave up 37 less walks in four more innings pitched. All in the American League. In the toughest division in baseball.

Is there really that much of a difference between Garcia and Jennings that Colorado receiving the #46 rated prospect in Hirsh (according to BP), a bullpen arm in Tyler Bucholz (good arm/mediocre results in minors), and a major league OF in Willy Tavares, should exceed Gio Gonzalez (good arm/fair results) and Gavin Floyd (medicore arm/poor results)? Hell no. Admit it.

I've never said other teams could have thrown more at Williams. Just look at Philadelphia. I've already provided a quote within a Rosenthal article stating their baseball officials were shocked at our price. People just will continue to dismiss it, obviously.

Asking for Gonzalez doesn't bother me. It's just that lumbering pile of crap in Floyd. Remove him, add Fabio Castro and an additional arm, the White Sox have potential within the deal and an arm (Castro) who could be plugged into the bullpen. If not, stretch him out for the rotation.

Huge difference in those numbers. Jennings career is on an upswing, he is also younger. Garcia's career is almost over. Jennings had significantly better overall numbers last season to top it all off.

I really don't care what Rosenthal said. Of course he is going to claim to have made a great deal, he wants to keep his job. Obviously, he was wrong. His "incredible rip off" of KW isn't working out too well, is it...

Also, Floyd was 35th best prospect in all baseball in 2005 according to Baseball America. Not really a scrub.

The trade was fine, please stop with the constant complaining about that trade. It is not a "make or break" type of thing.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
This place often feels like a baseball prospectus "MLB" message board instead of a white sox fan site. I don't think there is anything wrong with being upset or something, but the vicious way that people on this site hate the players, manager, GM, team is a little out there. There are many times when I forget that I'm on a White Sox fan site. On my college message board, people get pissed at me because I'm pessimistic and negative. Go figure.

91 or so. But there could be a huge variation. COuld be 10 more or 10 less than that. It'll be interesting to watch, as long as I stay away from these boards as much as possible.

i agree. Everyone has the right to be pessimistic of the team's performance due to the awful spring. But the hatred and viciousness targeted at indivduals KW, OG, GF ( hey, that's the opposite of Freddy Garcia maybe that's why KW traded for him to be the anti FG) is just out of control. It's not a site for white sox fans it's a site to hate the individuals that comprise the team.

The enjoyment of the board is pretty much gone.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
What is the age difference between the two? How many years left on JJ's contract? What is the annual salary? I could look up myself but am too lazy. Just curious if we are really comparing two apples here.

Jennings: 28

Garcia: 30

Jennings' salary: $5.5 million

Garcia's salary: $8mllion

Both have one year remaining on their respective contracts.

I still hardly believe the differences between the two packages are justified. This is completely ignoring the history of both players, and the success Garcia had as recent as October 2005.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
i agree. Everyone has the right to be pessimistic of the team's performance due to the awful spring. But the hatred and viciousness targeted at indivduals KW, OG, GF ( hey, that's the opposite of Freddy Garcia maybe that's why KW traded for him to be the anti FG) is just out of control. It's not a site for white sox fans it's a site to hate the individuals that comprise the team.

The enjoyment of the board is pretty much gone.

Just as how it's almost impossible to have a legit conversation/debate on here because everything ends up being either A) Pro-Ozzie B) Anti-Ozzie. Reminds me a lot of Illini fans with Weber. Now....I wonder how Ozzie would be as a recruiter?

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)

Jennings

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=3326

Garcia

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=2739

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
I still hardly believe the differences between the two packages are justified. This is completely ignoring the history of both players, and the success Garcia had as recent as October 2005.

I'm not singling anyone out, but some of the same people stating how Garcia had no value now are the same people who had the Sox getting massive prospects in return for Freddy prior to the trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
I'm not singling anyone out, but some of the same people stating how Garcia had no value

i don't think anyone is saying that. Floyd was the 35th best prospect in 2005.

ok, last time i'm posting about this. it's so pointless.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
i don't think anyone is saying that. Floyd was the 35th best prospect in 2005.

And he's not anymore. It's obvious from his arm and his statistics. Those 2005 rankings were based upon his 2004 numbers in A,AA.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To say we got equal value is disproved by how much we got for McCarthy. It was a bad trade unless Gio becomes a superstar, but all we lost was 1 year of a washed up pitcher (and please don't bring up 17 wins, that pharce isn't holding water with me, look at his true numbers last year), however that washed up pitcher had more value than what we got. It happens, every GM makes a bad trade, and I think the B-Mac trade will make up for it.

Please post the "true" numbers you are talking about.

Garcia's overall numbers were even to Garland and I would argue that they were better.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
Well, when you look at what Jason Jennings got traded for, you can't help but wonder if the Sox couldn't have gotten a better package (Hirsh and Taveras? or Hirsh alone?). And looking at Floyd's career numbers and current performance, it's baffling what the Sox saw that they liked so much.

That said, none of us will ever know what the trade market for Garcia was, so maybe it si time to just stop speculating....

Jennings is better than Garcia CURRENTLY and in the FUTURE, he suceeded in a hitters enviroment and seems to be improving, meanwhile Garcia had gotten much worse last year and i KNOW that many people on here said how bad he was and that we needed to get his ass out of town

did i hope that we could have gotten more? yes of course, but in reality in a nonprejudiced view to i really feel like we could have gotten a lot more? no i dont, anywho Floyd is the type of players taht the sox need to go after, in that he was a high risk high reward type player, if he panned out he would have seemed like a great pickup, in that he has a pretty solid fastball, and great curve and has/had mucho potential, the sox need to go after more of these guys in the draft of the high risk high reward brands with a mix of "safer" picks so that you have a few top of the line type guys with an abundance of decent players

and rotoworld said that jennings was worth only hirsch, and were very surprised that they got so much, so maybe the market for jennings was more than expected while garcia was recieving the same criticism from other teams as he did on here

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
He's also under the impression that we will only have 82 wins. Even big fans of the Royals think that this is their year. Its almost time to pick another team to follow. Once you hate the manager, the GM, most of the players and their tendencies, and the minor league system, you have just made yourself lose the title of a fan, theres nothing left for you to be a "fan" of.

I