Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Well, here's the thing on that...Jeffery is already on an academic scholarship (very funny, I know). And, though I'm not well-versed in the NCAA bylaws, moving a player on academic scholarship (a "walk-on") to an athletic scholarship may be very tough to do.

Trent is getting one of the two open scholarships for next season. Unfortunately, I think the staff will have to eat the other. Thinking they will get a "one and done" player to fill the other is too pie-in-the-sky.

Heeeey Addy, where you been? Wasn't sure if they were going to give Jordan the scholarship...not like he needs it or anything. And I thought Meacham already was on scholarship?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Wasn't sure if they were going to give Jordan the scholarship...not like he needs it or anything. And I thought Meacham already was on scholarship?

Meacham hasn't been on scholarship, but they have had that one spot open for this season only and I'd be shocked if Meacham doesn't get it with the season he had last year and the fact he's going to be a senior. There are no plans to get Jeff on scholarship that I am aware of.

As for Rodney's spot.......they'll probably have to eat that one for this season unfortunately.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Heeeey Addy, where you been? Wasn't sure if they were going to give Jordan the scholarship...not like he needs it or anything. And I thought Meacham already was on scholarship?

Hey, Corn! Last month in Champaign. So, I've been :drink Still been reading the boards an awful lot.

If I'm not mistaken, Trent was on scholarship for 06-07, was a walk-on last year, and will be getting one of the two open scholarships for next year.

Jeffery may very well get the other scholarship. But, like I said, I think there is plenty of red tape to get through and I just don't know if that is something they are interested in doing.

The light never seemed to turn on for Rodney. I thought he could, at the very least, have been a marginal contributer next year; but, not really losing a whole lot here. It's just unfortunate that they are going to have to eat a scholarship.

I have it on good authority that Krys Faber signed with DePaul today. He's a late blooming but very talented center from Los Angeles. Congrats to the Demons fans, he's a great get for the spring signing period and had interest from a ton of big time schools.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
I have it on good authority that Krys Faber signed with DePaul today. He's a late blooming but very talented center from Los Angeles. Congrats to the Demons fans, he's a great get for the spring signing period and had interest from a ton of big time schools.

Yeah, we heard from Krys and his dad last night...

minny was his leader but he really liked his visit here.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husk...0,7485166.story

UCONN signed Charles Okwandu from a junior college today (originally commited to Arizona before being ruled ineligible last year). With Kelly and Wiggins transfering they had some more scholarships. Kemba Walker Scotty Haralson have signed LOIs now. Waiting to see if Nate Miles is cleared academically. Also, 5-star recruit Ater Majok is supposedly in Storrs on an officialy visit today

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Rich picked himself up a heck of a QB for his offense in Kevin Newsome today. Great get.

Typical Tressell fashion he grabs someone to tackle said QB by picking up Melvin Fellows one of the best players in Ohio. Also picked up Dorian Bell a 5 star LB and the top player out of Pennsylvania, and Jordan Hall a 4 star RB. Pretty good week so far if you add in All Big Ten Justin Boren.

Chatting among the players that committed after the spring game was the top O-lineman in state Marcus Hall.

When its all said and done, 2009 may top the #4 class of 2008.\

No CFB post would be complete without some good natured ribbing for the UM fans on here. ;)

Dorian Bell - "I loved it at Michigan. Then I went to Ohio State, and it was like, 'Bye Michigan,'"

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)

He's an idiot.

Gophers got a commitment from Royce White for the 2009 class. White is Minnesota's top prospect, and ranked the 32nd overall prospect, regardless of position, and the 9th best small forward prospect. This is huge news for the Gophers, and a definite step in the right direction.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
He's an idiot.

Gophers got a commitment from Royce White for the 2009 class. White is Minnesota's top prospect, and ranked the 32nd overall prospect, regardless of position, and the 9th best small forward prospect. This is huge news for the Gophers, and a definite step in the right direction.

Royce has major character concerns and has been dropping like a stone according to most ratings.

It's a nice pick-up for the Gophers, especially consider he's the state's top prospect; but, I doubt he gets his act together.

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Royce has major character concerns and has been dropping like a stone according to most ratings.

It's a nice pick-up for the Gophers, especially consider he's the state's top prospect; but, I doubt he gets his act together.

Yeah, I can understand why you say that (and it makes sense), but I wouldn't count the kid out just yet. Here is a pretty good interview with him, he seems to realize he made some mistakes and that he needs to get his act together or else he could be throwing his basketball career out the window. Also, I think Tubby could be a really good influence in his life, he already appears to be a mentor of sorts for him (there's a quote here of him talking about how he already talks to Tubby and gets advice and such). I realize I'm being optimistic about him, and there's just as good of a chance that he'll end up having serious character issues, but I think its a risk worth taking given his talent level.

And yeah, it's huge that they got him since he's the states top prospect. I'm tired of having Minnesota players go to Bo Ryan and other Big 10 schools, it gets annoying.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, I can understand why you say that (and it makes sense), but I wouldn't count the kid out just yet. Here is a pretty good interview with him, he seems to realize he made some mistakes and that he needs to get his act together or else he could be throwing his basketball career out the window. Also, I think Tubby could be a really good influence in his life, he already appears to be a mentor of sorts for him (there's a quote here of him talking about how he already talks to Tubby and gets advice and such). I realize I'm being optimistic about him, and there's just as good of a chance that he'll end up having serious character issues, but I think its a risk worth taking given his talent level.

And yeah, it's huge that they got him since he's the states top prospect. I'm tired of having Minnesota players go to Bo Ryan and other Big 10 schools, it gets annoying.

I have absolutely no ill-will towards Minnesota. I'd love to see quality teams top-to-bottom in the Big Ten. I've always felt Tubby was a class-act and if anyone could keep the kid out of trouble and on track, it'd be Tubby.

Here's hoping for the best with this situation