September 29th: Detroit vs. Chicago

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Nothing has gone right for us this season. I'm just going to expect the scenario of HOU/WASH losing, us winning, and thus having the 10th pick. It'd only be appropriate.

Atleast we can count on a Tim Lincecum type falling to our position, right?

Why not? Williams is obviously using "Brian Sabean's Guide to General Managing", getting a Lincecum like prospect would only be fitting.

This blows...Mike Myers, Pods, Uribe, all on the fast track to return next season. The Sox crying poor in press about signing draft picks (after they are willing to throw at Myers). Ridiculous. I think I'm ready for a change in management -- bringing back the 2007 team but with an aging overpaid CF and Owens or Pods in LF will tell me for sure that's true...

Come on, you expect them to lay down and just play like s*** for a draft pick? You do that, and that's exactly what you become, s***. One pick, whatever... Besides, what about the fans going to the games, are they supposed to just go in knowing the teams laying down after paying good money. It's stupid, they should play to win and set some momentum for next year.

Besides, the draft has show the potential for acquiring a HOF can occur at any spot in the draft. Being in the top ten will not negate us having the opportunity to pick up a high ceiling player.

Exactly. Great post.

Tizzle I can't believe you called the fans idiots. Basically anybody who doesn't hold your position on this matter is an idiot, right?

If the White Sox sat all their veteran players this past month to get a draft pick, in my mind

the commissioenr would be right in banishing the team from the league.

It would be as bad as the Black Sox scandal.

How come fans at the park are cheering when we win??

Because they paid good money and want to see a win. They want to see Paulie and Thome

homer.

Tizzle, you are not god. People have the right to disagree with you or do you not see it that way?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:37 AM)
Come on, you expect them to lay down and just play like s*** for a draft pick? You do that, and that's exactly what you become, s***. One pick, whatever... Besides, what about the fans going to the games, are they supposed to just go in knowing the teams laying down after paying good money. It's stupid, they should play to win and set some momentum for next year.

Besides, the draft has show the potential for acquiring a HOF can occur at any spot in the draft. Being in the top ten will not negate us having the opportunity to pick up a high ceiling player.

I'm with you Seal. The Sox need to play with pride and intensity. If nothing else it makes a statement for next season :gosox2: :headbang :sweep:

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:43 AM)
So you're saying you don't want the players to give up, you just want them to finish poorly for a draft pick?

Finish poorly? No, I want them to do what they've done all year. This is a team that's starting Podsednik and Erstad -- they shouldn't be winning.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:47 AM)
Finish poorly? No, I want them to do what they've done all year. This is a team that's starting Podsednik and Erstad -- they shouldn't be winning.

Why not, they should have been winning the whole time, maybe its now somewhat clicking for them. Not every team meshes like the 05 team. Maybe now they're feeling comfortable with each other, and that can be carried into next season. I've never thought I'd have to defend winning... I don't see why we have to view this as a bad thing.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
No, being in the Top 10 does not give us exclusive rights to pick up tremendous players; but it sure doesn't help much selecting 10th when the players we've anticipated to fall aren't available. Hard to believe a generational talent such as Pedro Alvarez will be available at 10. Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr. and Joe Mauer sure didn't make it that far.

That's the thing for me, after officially being eliminated from the Pedro sweepstakes, I don't care about the draft slot as much anymore. It was exciting for awhile to think we had a shot at Alvarez. There will still be several great players to choose from no matter where we end up now, but there is a lot of pressure not to f*** it up.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
I would not rule out both Pods and Erstad being back in 2008. Erstad can play all three OF spots, DH and 1B. Pods can play all 3 spots, DH and PR. Ozuna will probably be back and Gonzalez is out. CF is the only real question mark and of course the bullpen

Podsednik can play RF and CF? Or LF for that matter?

Why torture us anymore? Owens can do anything Podsednik can do, and for cheaper.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:54 AM)
Podsednik can play RF and CF? Or LF for that matter?

Why torture us anymore? Owens can do anything Podsednik can do, and for cheaper.

Agreed, Pods is gone and Owens could certainly replace what he brought to the table the last two seasons, and most likely improve based on staying healthy alone. Erstad may be a good option to bring back though, as he can play all the OF spots as well as a great defensive 1B. The stick isn't quite there, but he does give depth. I like him for a reserve role, and in case of injury.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:52 AM)
Why not, they should have been winning the whole time

Yeah, a team that starts the year with Podsednik and Erstad as starters should've been winning. NOBODY saw the years that they actually had coming. Just a big ole mystery. Maybe we should try it again in 2008.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
Why not? Williams is obviously using "Brian Sabean's Guide to General Managing", getting a Lincecum like prospect would only be fitting.

This blows...Mike Myers, Pods, Uribe, all on the fast track to return next season. The Sox crying poor in press about signing draft picks (after they are willing to throw at Myers). Ridiculous. I think I'm ready for a change in management -- bringing back the 2007 team but with an aging overpaid CF and Owens or Pods in LF will tell me for sure that's true...

Wouldn't this mean Williams trades DLS (our version of Liriano)? :ph34r:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:57 AM)
Yeah, a team that starts the year with Podsednik and Erstad as starters should've been winning. NOBODY saw the years that they actually had coming. Just a big ole mystery. Maybe we should try it again in 2008.

Get over yourself, the team looked promising. Maybe not locks to win the division, but certainly not as horrid as it turned out. Besides, it's not as if Erstad was a virtual lock, the rooks were in position to win a spot if they could have performed. Also, Pods was an every year type player, producing well in those opposite years. His past trend told he would have performed this year if he could have stayed healthy. Unfortunately he couldn't.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
Why is Williams talking on the postgame conference as if they're reconsidering Podsednik for next season?

If that's true and they do bring him back, the first "sports hernia" Pods gets in Tucson next spring, can everyone agree KW should be shown the door?

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Get over yourself, the team looked promising. Maybe not locks to win the division, but certainly not as horrid as it turned out. Besides, it's not as if Erstad was a virtual lock, the rooks were in position to win a spot if they could have performed. Also, Pods was an every year type player, producing well in those opposite years. His past trend told he would have performed this year if he could have stayed healthy. Unfortunately he couldn't.

Holy Moses. A team with 2 sub .700 OPS bats in the OF is obviously in trouble unless they have greatness everywhere else. Erstad got outperformed by Anderson in spring training, was given the starting position and proceeded to have the kind of year most people thought he would.

And Pods being an "every-other year" player? What magic makes a guy play only every other year? Pods past trend over the last season and a half coming into 2007 said he'd be a .330 OBP player with no power, weak defense, and lots of caught stealings. Or he'd be hurt.

It's not like it's a shock POds & Erstad got hurt. They do it all the time. Counting on them with a craptastic minor league system was a bad idea.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
What did KW say exactly?

REPORTER: Do you guys look forward to, to count on, to put the money in to Scott Podsednik or is it kind of obvious with Jerry Owens and Josh Fields that this is probably it for him?

KEN WILLIAMS: Well, the one thing that Scotty will hear that if it has come to that, being out lead-off hitter, and the respect that I have for him, first as a person, second as a baseball player, Scotty will hear that from us first, not in a press conference such as this. I, again, am going to sit down with our coaches, in his case I'm going to have to sit down with some of our medical people as well, because it is not a matter of Scotty Podsednik's ability. He's a first-class lead-off guy, he has gotten a lot better in left field this year. So that is not the issue of whether or not; he has proven he can play on a championship team. The issue is can we afford to go into next year not knowing how health is going to play into it. So, and as Jerry Owens has come on that has made that decision a little more difficult.

It didn't sound to me like KW was talking about brining Pods back, but rather that he wasn't going to announce it at a press conference before talking to Pods first.

Edited by Linnwood

It's a shame college baseball doesn't get the pub that college basketball and football do. It's easy for people like greg to say "f*** the draft" when more than likely he has no idea who's gonna be in it in the first place, or who's good.

greg, you know who Lebron James is, right? What if there was a HS or College kid projected to be as good at baseball as Lebron was projected to be in basketball. Would you rather see your team win meaningless games, or would you rather them lose so you could have a chance at a once in a generation talent?

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:00 AM)
Also, Pods was an every year type player, producing well in those opposite years. His past trend told he would have performed this year if he could have stayed healthy. Unfortunately he couldn't.

BAHAHAHAHHA -- hilaripus. Absolutely hilaripus. Every other year player -- that's golden!