Oh crap...Miggy Cabrera agrees to 8 more years with Tigs

Buehrle>Wood

I wish the Sox were able to get Cabrera, but I wouldn't want to be on the hook for 8 years with him. He's liable to have to have a wall knocked out of his house 5 or 6 years from now so he can get to spring training. If he keeps his weight in check, this is a great deal for Detroit, and while he probably could get a couple extra dollars testing the market, why risk it, its more than enough for him to live in luxury the rest of his life.

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Why people are surprised by this is beyond me.

People were holding onto the belief that he would eventually come to the South Side. Our only shot was this winter and it didn't happen.

8 years is a long time. Detroit might look like the Rangers trying to recover from the A-Rod deal in a few years.

Per Rotoworld:

A source told ESPN Deportes that the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera have agreed to an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension through 2016.

It's possible, but it'd also hardly be the first time ESPN Deportes botched a reported contract. If this is true, Cabrera sold himself way too cheaply. To give up his last year of arbitration and seven years of free agency for just $19 million per year would be a terrible move on his part, or at least the MLBPA would have to feel that way.

I love that last part there. Humorous stuff...

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
People were holding onto the belief that he would eventually come to the South Side. Our only shot was this winter and it didn't happen.

8 years is a long time. Detroit might look like the Rangers trying to recover from the A-Rod deal in a few years.

I doubt it. Their owner is rich and is more than willing to spend. I remember reading a couple of years ago that he believes there is no reason they can't become the Yankees and after winning a bunch of Stanley Cups (this was during the strike), he wanted to bring back baseball in Detroit permanently and would do it by any means necessary.

This won't handicap Detroit at all.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
I doubt it. Their owner is rich and is more than willing to spend. I remember reading a couple of years ago that he believes there is no reason they can't become the Yankees and after winning a bunch of Stanley Cups (this was during the strike), he wanted to bring back baseball in Detroit permanently and would do it by any means necessary.

This won't handicap Detroit at all.

I seem to recall seeing that the Tigers payroll is nearing $140-150 mill; even the Yankees had to level it off at about $200-220 mill because they are also paying revenue sharing and luxury tax. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers are almost spending $170-$180 mill this year because of it.

Eventually, it will catch up to them. It catches up to every team.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)

I know what people were thinking and it was ridiculous. At any rate, I don't think this will be a bad move for Detroit. He will still be young at the end of the deal, and even if he gets fat, he is one of those players that teams will try to get thinking they can change him.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

A source told ESPN Deportes that the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera have agreed to an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension through 2016.

It's possible, but it'd also hardly be the first time ESPN Deportes botched a reported contract. If this is true, Cabrera sold himself way too cheaply. To give up his last year of arbitration and seven years of free agency for just $19 million per year would be a terrible move on his part, or at least the MLBPA would have to feel that way.

I love that last part there. Humorous stuff...

Ask the last Tiger who turned down a 7 year 140 million dollar contract if he thought that was a smart move...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Ask the last Tiger who turned down a 7 year 140 million dollar contract if he thought that was a smart move...

I wonder if Juan Gonzalez has played one years worth of games since he declined that offer from the tigers. What year was that?

EDIT: Juan Gone turned down the deal in the winter of 1999, since that moment he has played in 441 of a possible 810 games, with his last at bat coming in an embarrassing 2005 where he had one AB and hurt himself.

Edited by kyyle23

My wow was more to the point that the Tigers payroll has to be approaching the Redsox/Yankmees strata. I hope the owner is independently wealthy, because I can't see the team bringing in that much per year, in Detroit. Maybe it can, but it still boggles the mind.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I wonder if Juan Gonzalez has played one years worth of games since he declined that offer from the tigers. What year was that?

EDIT: Juan Gone turned down the deal in the winter of 1999, since that moment he has played in 441 of a possible 810 games, with his last at bat coming in an embarrassing 2005 where he had one AB and hurt himself.

Its too bad he didn't sign it. That contract would have JUST come off of the books and would have crippled that franchise. They would have never recovered to this point with it on their payroll.

DETROIT - Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers have reached a preliminary agreement on a $152.3 million, eight-year contract, according a personal familiar with the deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract was not yet final. The third baseman must pass a physical before the agreement can be finalized.

Cabrera's average salary of $19,037,500 will be the fourth-highest in the major leagues behind Alex Rodriguez ($27.5 million), Johan Santana ($22,916,667) and Manny Ramirez ($20 million).

Detroit acquired Cabrera from the Florida Marlins during the winter meetings along with pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

This sucks...for us.

Link

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
My wow was more to the point that the Tigers payroll has to be approaching the Redsox/Yankmees strata. I hope the owner is independently wealthy, because I can't see the team bringing in that much per year, in Detroit. Maybe it can, but it still boggles the mind.

illitch owns little cesears and a whole bunch of other stuff including the red wings... hes loaded

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
my dream is over.... :(

:crying mine 2. i really wanted him on the sox. but i knew that once we didnt trade for him, there was no way we were ever going to get him. no way we were going to outbid everyone. hes in great shape 2.

Great deal for the Tigers, and to some that thought Miggy would ever be wearing a Whitesox uniform sorry to hear that your dream that was slim to none to begin with it over. Josh Fields is better anyways. I figured I would throw it in the middle and then just write a lot of stuff after that comment to see if anyone will call me out on it. Anyways who wants to be locked in to Detroit for 8 years I would be asking out after 3-4 years. Detroit sucks and has probably the worst downtown. Ugly.