Alexei Ramirez can't play in Toronto

Steve9347

QUOTE (LetsTalkAboutSoxBaby @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Any chance Alexei's work visa works in Charlotte? I sure hope so...

I agree with this, but I don't want to trash Alexei. I think he has some talent, but he needs to get regular ABs every day, he has had little to zero chance to adjust with this spot duty he's been asked to do.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
I agree with this, but I don't want to trash Alexei. I think he has some talent, but he needs to get regular ABs every day, he has had little to zero chance to adjust with this spot duty he's been asked to do.

Exactly.

I think we stole a high-ceiling international prospect with Alexei. But he is not ready to play in the major leagues, and we kind of have him in no-man's land right now and he's not going to get better like this.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Looking at the Knights box, looks like Fields got pulled early, and the game wasn't a blow out......

Tony, don't get my hopes up!!! If I was KW, I would send Alexei down, let him play every day, even shuffle up the positions so he gets experience in the INF and OF. Then bring Fields up. Owens shouldn't touch any of our 4 OFers right now, and then you have a legitimate power PHer and maybe DH him against guys who are super tough on lefties

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Tony, don't get my hopes up!!! If I was KW, I would send Alexei down, let him play every day, even shuffle up the positions so he gets experience in the INF and OF. Then bring Fields up. Owens shouldn't touch any of our 4 OFers right now, and then you have a legitimate power PHer and maybe DH him against guys who are super tough on lefties

Ramirez, Owens and Fields serve no purpose with this team as they all need regualr AB's. The Sox need a Mackowiak type.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
Exactly.

I think we stole a high-ceiling international prospect with Alexei. But he is not ready to play in the major leagues, and we kind of have him in no-man's land right now and he's not going to get better like this.

I think he shows a lot of promise, but he's not ready. He needs to amture at the minor league AAA level. I think if Owens wasn't hurt that Alexei might have been at Charlotte on day one. Whether Jerry is the one to bring up or not is not an easy answer. Speed can make a lot of things happen, but I believe BA should get playing time ahead of Owens.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
2B is the second easiest position to play in the infield, and third easiest to play in baseball. Fields would be no GG at 2B, but he'd certainly be able to handle the position.

2B is not an easy position. If it was, there wouldn't be so few offensive powerhouses compared to other positions. The skillset is similar to SS and it's not something just any player can do.

I do not want to see Josh Fields anywhere near 2B unless he hits a double, steals second, or is rounding the base.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
I cringe thinking about all those errors, especially after watching Uribe play it near-flawlessly so far.

I agree. Do we really need a poor defensive third baseman playing out of position at 2B just to get another home run hitter who strikes out a ton into the lineup? The errors and missed double plays would more than offset the HRs, IMHO.