2B: Why not give Getz a look?

scenario

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=460051

While the Sox are struggling, everyone is saying 'bring up Owens or Fields to give us a spark'... yet Chris Getz is outhitting BOTH of them... and plays second base... and knows how to take a walk... and can lead off.

So... why not give Getz a look? He's healthier than Danny Richar and may be more MLB ready than Alexei Ramirez!

The scouting report on him says he's a natural hitter. He hit well at AA (before getting injured last year). He's hitting well at AAA this year. He's solid defensively and can play multiple positions. Over the course of his career he has more walks than strikeouts. And he bats left-handed.

The only knock against him is that he repeated AA in 2006-2007. But that seems forgiveable seeing that he was bumped up to AA his first full season in the minors (2006).

The Sox are searching for a 2B solution... maybe he is right in front of us.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (knightni @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
I think he'd have to be added to the 40, IIRC.

Looks like we still have Andy Sisco listed on the 40-man.

Don't we get some sort of exemption... putting him on a restricted list... due to the year long DL stint he is facing?

If so, that would open a spot without any other required moves.

Edited by scenario

A few more notes on Getz...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a summary of his 2007 season, including fall ball from MiLB.com:

2007: Appeared in just 72 games with Double-A Birmingham due to a right shin injury, hitting .299 (83-for-278) with a .382 on-basepercentage. ... Walked 36 times with only 30 strikeouts. ... Was named to the Southern League midseason All-Star Team. ... Reached basesafely in 84.7 percent (61 of 72) of his games with the Barons. ... Did not go more than three straight games without reaching base safely. ... Batted .323 (32-for-99) vs. left-handers (.285 off righties). ... Led off 17 times, hitting .284 (19-for-67). ... Homered to lead off both games of a doubleheader on April 11 at Mobile. ... Was on the disabled list from May 27-July 31 with a bruised right shin. ... Was batting .316 (49-for-155) at the time of his injury (.276 after). ... Reached base safely in his final18 games. ... Hit .278 (22-for-79) with a .360 on-base percentage with Phoenix of the Arizona Fall League. ... Reached base safely in 19 of21 games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008: Currently, in 81 at-bats in AAA, Getz is hitting .296 with a .360 OBP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Getz from mlb.com - Spring 2006:

"Getz represents a new kind of player coming in via the draft, guys who can fill super-utility roles right off the bat. One of the best pure hitters in the draft, Getz spent most of last summer with Kannapolis, where he hit .304 and drew 35 walks vs. only 10 strikeouts. Mostly a second baseman at Michigan, Getz can also play short, third, even center field, where he can use his plus speed to be a Chone Figgins type. If he doesn't end up being an everyday player at one spot, he could be a guy who gets 450 ABs moving around the field. He's impressed his organization so much that they plan on jumping him all the way to Birmingham to start 2006."

Edited by scenario

I agree Getz should be given a shot. He's going to be a big leaguer either with the Sox or somewhere else.

I really like his approach at the plate. He doesn't try to do too much and can hit to all fields. He'd be a perfect number 9 hitter right now.

Actually, in all seriousness, Getz probably needs to prove that he can hit triple a pitching (he had never played at that high of a level until this year) before you can give him a shot. I expect him to have a good year this year down there and then be given a look for the big league roster at spring training 2009. That doesn't help us now though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Actually, in all seriousness, Getz probably needs to prove that he can hit triple a pitching (he had never played at that high of a level until this year) before you can give him a shot. I expect him to have a good year this year down there and then be given a look for the big league roster at spring training 2009. That doesn't help us now though.

Well what's the harm in bringing him up now? He's not a stud prospect by any stretch of the imagination and if he can come up and hit something like .275/.340/.340 he'd be more of an asset to the team than Uribe or Ozuna at 2B. I don't know much about his defense, but even if it's poor, you can have Uribe be a late inning sub in almost every game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 4, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Actually, in all seriousness, Getz probably needs to prove that he can hit triple a pitching (he had never played at that high of a level until this year) before you can give him a shot.

Alexei Ramirez has never played at a level as high as AAA either... and that didn't keep the Sox from promoting him.

Meanwhile, Getz IS hitting AAA pitching... and he's doing it as well as Owens or Fields... and pretty much right on track with his career averages.

So what's the harm in a callup to see how he looks? Think he's going to get on base less than Uribe? That's pretty close to impossible.

Edited by scenario

I like Getz. I don't know if he'll make it as a every day player but he has a lot of good baseball instincts that can make him end up reaching his ceiling (which is as a .280, .350 type of guy who plays above average defense at 2B and just smart baseball). In fact, I'd consider his upside to be similar to a Grudz type player.

At worse I think he turns into a serviceable sub. I would love to have him up. I don't mind Pablo even though he's struggled with the bat early (cause he needs AB's to get the timing down but Getz could be a good guy to lean on to see what we have (and than after he gets a bit of a chance, if he fails, Richar should be back and ready to get a chance).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Getz could be a good guy to lean on to see what we have...and than after he gets a bit of a chance, if he fails, Richar should be back and ready to get a chance.

Exactly. How do we lose in that scenario? And who knows... maybe with his speed and ability to get on base he provides us with a spark that this team badly needs right now.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=460051

While the Sox are struggling, everyone is saying 'bring up Owens or Fields to give us a spark'... yet Chris Getz is outhitting BOTH of them... and plays second base... and knows how to take a walk... and can lead off.

So... why not give Getz a look? He's healthier than Danny Richar and may be more MLB ready than Alexei Ramirez!

The scouting report on him says he's a natural hitter. He hit well at AA (before getting injured last year). He's hitting well at AAA this year. He's solid defensively and can play multiple positions. Over the course of his career he has more walks than strikeouts. And he bats left-handed.

The only knock against him is that he repeated AA in 2006-2007. But that seems forgiveable seeing that he was jumped up to AA his first full season in the minors (2006).

The Sox are searching for a 2B solution... maybe he is right in front of us.

this is great idea....however i think that i would rather see Scott Fletcher's son play second....hopefully he has a son.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 4, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Exactly. How do we lose in that scenario? And who knows... maybe with his speed and ability to get on base he provides us with a spark that this team badly needs right now.

I'd be very open to the idea. Send Russell down, send Alexei to AAA to get regular playing time either at SS, CF, 2B, or wherever, and give Getz a chance to win the job. If he's performing well when Richar gets healthy, the Sox are in a very good position and could even think about cutting Uribe loose at that point in time.

If the Sox want a scapegoat and to start making moderate changes, then dump Uribe and play anybody else at second not named Ozuna. I guess financially we can't drop Uribe, but I wish the Sox would.

I'd be open to it, but I guess at this point I still value Uribe's defense too much to consider replacing him.

I just don't think the fortunes of this team fall on how one position in our lineup hits.

I don't want Swisher leading off anymore, and I'm not really sure who should be there (sort of OC by default), but if the entire team isn't hitting (as is the case right now), I think having the best possible defense we can muster is the most important thing right now.

Just my lousy opinion though...

Here are the season stats for 4 Charlotte players after Monday (5/5) night's game...

Player AB  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS 

Chris Getz 89 26 4 0 2 5 36 8 19 .292 .351 .404 .755

Jerry Owens 82 22 4 0 1 5 29 11 17 .268 .355 .354 .708

Josh Fields 96 23 3 0 4 14 38 10 33 .240 .318 .396 .714

J. Bourgeois 108 24 2 1 1 7 31 7 17 .222 .276 .287 .563

I've been advocating this change for about a week now. Getz hits left-handed, and has had success in the minors. I don't see how it can hurt to add him to the 40-man, bring him up, and replace Ozuna/Uribe/Ramirez. Platoon him with one of those three against lefties until Richar comes back.