White Sox Loser

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Anderson got torn to shreds for getting thrown out at third stretching a double to a triple earlier in the year now he gets it for not taking a chance on it.

If the coach is waving him on and he gets nabbed, I'm not gonna blame him. If the coach is waving him but he blows off the coach, well...?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
If the coach is waving him on and he gets nabbed, I'm not gonna blame him. If the coach is waving him but he blows off the coach, well...?

I'm hearing stories where people say he should of gone to third and that Cox was waving him. I don't know. He got a double, that's good enough. We should of got him in, 'nuff said.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
I'm hearing stories where people say he should of gone to third and that Cox was waving him. I don't know. He got a double, that's good enough. We should of got him in, 'nuff said.

If a player can easily get a triple, he should get a...hold on...no, no, I got this one...a triple, right? A double's not good enough in that case.

He certainly had a good chance to get to third. I don't know, honestly, if it was a guarantee. But the announcers were saying that Cox was waving him to third. I'm usually a big BA fan, but if the coach was waving him, well, then he f***ed up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)

This I'm in total agreement . Guy leads off with a double . Don't fault him for it when baseball 's unwritten rule says don't make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. Blame Ozzie for not bunting him over. Blame Thome for not pulling the ball if you want to blame people. But don't blame the guy who just knocked one off the wall to open the inning. If a few more guys knock the ball off the wall just like Anderson did then we're talking about a W.

Honestly I am dumbfounded that some of you guys are trying to put unnecessary blame on Anderson here though, or otherwise harping on it and ignoring the fact that the next 3 batters simply failed to execute and made it all irrelevant. Would it have even mattered if he got to 3rd? What happened on the next 3 at-bats? Thome pops out, OC flies out but not deep enough for a tag-up, AJ strikes out. Inning over. How is a leadoff double somehow substandard? You can split hairs all you want about semantics but he is still standing there in scoring position, and he is coming around on the next base hit, if there is one (which there is not).

All of you guys know good and well that if he HAD run around to 3rd and gotten tagged out, you'd be ready to summarily execute him on the field, just like you were the last time he tried to advance to 3rd.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:05 AM)
Honestly I am dumbfounded that some of you guys are trying to put unnecessary blame on Anderson here though, or otherwise harping on it and ignoring the fact that the next 3 batters simply failed to execute and made it all irrelevant. Would it have even mattered if he got to 3rd? What happened on the next 3 at-bats? Thome pops out, OC flies out but not deep enough for a tag-up, AJ strikes out. Inning over. How is a leadoff double somehow substandard? You can split hairs all you want about semantics but he is still standing there in scoring position, and he is coming around on the next base hit, if there is one (which there is not).

All of you guys know good and well that if he HAD run around to 3rd and gotten tagged out, you'd be ready to summarily execute him on the field, just like you were the last time he tried to advance to 3rd.

Anyone that places the blame on Anderson just wants an excuse. There is a golden rule in baseball: don't make the first or third out at third base. Whether he would have got to 3rd standing up is moot -- nobody here can prove it. Besides that, like you mentioned, the three hitters behind him failed miserably at doing their job. "Get 'em over, get 'em in." Thome's AB was especially pathetic. A 1 pitch pop out to short left field from a hitter that teams put the right field shift on to? Cabrera's ball was not deep enough, as well, like you said. I do believe, though, he might've taken a different approach if Thome did his job in moving Anderson over.

Execution, my friends, is the reason the White Sox lost that game. Not because of the bullpen, not because of Brian Anderson, not because they took Danks out. Execution. 16 total runners left on base, 8 with 2 out and RISP. When a team leaves 16 on base and only scores 3 runs, a debatable baserunning mistake is not where to point your finger.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:14 AM)
Execution, my friends, is the reason the White Sox lost that game. Not because of the bullpen, not because of Brian Anderson, not because they took Danks out. Execution. 16 total runners left on base, 8 with 2 out and RISP. When a team leaves 16 on base and only scores 3 runs, a debatable baserunning mistake is not where to point your finger.

Well as far as individual performances go, Dotel immediately giving up back to back homers in like 5 pitches to lose the lead is pretty glaring. But it shouldn't have even come to that, the Sox had multiple opportunities to pull away from the Cubs and failed almost every time.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
Well as far as individual performances go, Dotel immediately giving up back to back homers in like 5 pitches to lose the lead is pretty glaring. But it shouldn't have even come to that, the Sox had multiple opportunities to pull away from the Cubs and failed almost every time.

Perhaps, but a bullpen is going to fail from time to time. Sucks it had to happen today, but the offense did little to take the pressure off the staff.

Like I said in the chat once, Ozzie should put the pitching staff out on the field and let the hitters pitch so they know what it feels like. (Not seriously.)

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
Linebrink isn't a f***ing 9th inning pitcher, thats what I meant by atmosphere....bro, he hardly ever comes into the 9th inning to pitch including his entire career.

Lets see....who did the Cubs bring in during the ninth inning to pitch? Gee....I believe their closer, perfect situation, and I've watched enough baseball in my life and teams typically bring their closer into the game in the 9th to keep the game going into extras or in the Cubs scenario keep the game tied.

Now, were trying to hold them at 3 runs to go into extras, Jenks should be in with the game on the line.

This really shouldn't be argued. But whatever, game is over, we blew the game lets hope tomorrow is different.

Okay, instead of bashing you on my assumption that you think space aliens were involved and the cosmos weren't aligned and that ozzie should have used his Venezuelan non Harvard instincts. Let's assume that he's a set-up man with a lot of holds, a great whip, and a veteran who on average turned the players against him into Scott Podsednik.

okay.

as for the thing you restated which i already addressed

okay.

okay?

I didn't even mention the fact that you ignored my initial response(first paragraph should you need a map) to your post completely, the rest were just add-ons once I read past the first ridiculous thing you said. Which could have been summed up mostly by a phrase similar to "by golly gee whiz it shure does look like we did lost today, damnit." Stop blaming god or whoever this mysterious chance event person guy is.

edit: sorry a little boozed, this is my second or so edit, re:

Lets see....who did the Cubs bring in during the ninth inning to pitch? Gee....I believe their closer, perfect situation, and I've watched enough baseball in my life and teams typically bring their closer into the game in the 9th to keep the game going into extras or in the Cubs scenario keep the game tied.

Despite grammatically inducing Hawk's voice in your post, you are correct that the sox too should have brought in a pitcher with an >4 era at the time. Oh wait we don't have any of those. It's really f***ing stupid we went with our best pitcher statistically because of that. f*** U KENNY? SHOULDA KNOWN NOT FORCING OZZIE GUILLEN INTO CREATING ARBITRARY FICTIONAL ROLES FOR OUR PITCHERS BASED ON HOW LONG THEIR PISS STREAM PER DAY TIME VS. NIGHTTIME AVG. WOULD COME BACK TO HAUNT US IN THE MOST FAN INVOLVED SERIES OF THE SEASON. FIRE BUD SELGI!

Edited by jenksd

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Why do you care?

The thread is labeled "White Sox Loser" for crying out loud, you should know before entering its gonna be full of a bunch of people arguing on the reasons why we lost the game.

Because its a Cubs/Sox series and both rivals hate each other from a baseball point of view I am going to be pissed about losing to the scrubs and will bicker.

If it was any other team I could care less if we lost since this is really our only intense rivalry.

Missed this one.

We care because it's an analysis about the loss thread and not a wild accusation point the finger at things that happened in your mind spout out any horses*** psychoanalysis like a 14 year old on shrooms ranting about baseball thread.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
Then if you want an argument that makes sense, what about sending Dotel in there? I love Ozzie...but I doubt there is another manager in baseball who would sacrifice his cruising pitcher through 85 pitches with a player hitting .200(Don't even bother bringing up that he got a hit, well besides the point).

And another person would say that putting in a set up man in a relatively safe set-up role against somone batting .200 would be a decent way to ease a volatile but talented veteran in. Neither person would be wrong or right beforehand. The pitch limit for danks has been talked about before... I think it may be a tad early for it but I also understand trying to save a young pitcher who is pitching like a cy young candidate that hasn't pitched a full season before. I understand easing the burden off of him, it backfired. It made sense. It backfired. Let's not be too shortsighted about this game. We can't really anymore anyways,

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:05 AM)

If the coach was waving him (as the announcers said), NO I WOULDN'T. It would have fallen squarely on Cox. It's not like we haven't seen 3b coaches take heat in the past. And I've been blaming Anderson, but I also blamed Ozzie, Thome, and AJ and the ump a little bit, so I haven't been "ignoring" any of those things.