We need a back up catcher

Marky Mark

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We signed Corky Miller and Chris Stewart recently, and we also have Cole Armstrong in the minors. I think we'll fill that internally, and my guess would be that Miller gets the job, as he's pretty good defensively and hit righty, although he can't hit a lick.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Henry Blanco should have been signed yesterday, but I digress.

I agree, but apparently KW can't afford him. He's already over budget. It must have dropped because when he traded Javy, he said he was right at it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
I agree, but apparently KW can't afford him. He's already over budget. It must have dropped because when he traded Javy, he said he was right at it.

Yeah, I'm really puzzled about the finances of the Sox right now. Everything we're hearing is very disturbing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
We signed Corky Miller and Chris Stewart recently, and we also have Cole Armstrong in the minors. I think we'll fill that internally, and my guess would be that Miller gets the job, as he's pretty good defensively and hit righty, although he can't hit a lick.

Agreed

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)

If miller does get the back up job, i am going to pull out my hair trying to watch him get a hit.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
If miller does get the back up job, i am going to pull out my hair trying to watch him get a hit.

Since the beginning of the 2004 season, Corky is sporting an .092 average on the big league level, including being 1 for 55 between 2004-2006. It he was the only back up, AJP would wind up playing a lot of games when he was supposed to have the day off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Since the beginning of the 2004 season, Corky is sporting an .092 average on the big league level, including being 1 for 55 between 2004-2006. It he was the only back up, AJP would wind up playing a lot of games when he was supposed to have the day off.

Yeah i would understand AJ wouldn't be sitting as much, but i think to put Corky Freaking Miller as an option at all for our backup job it totally insane.

Forgive my lack of knowledge in regards to the farm system, but how far away from the majors in Tyler Flowers? I know there was a lot of excitement generated when he was acquired for the heap of disappointed that was Vazquez. Any chance Flowers plays this year?

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Forgive my lack of knowledge in regards to the farm system, but how far away from the majors in Tyler Flowers? I know there was a lot of excitement generated when he was acquired for the heap of disappointed that was Vazquez. Any chance Flowers plays this year?

No, he's not going to be ready for next year. 2010 at the earliest, probably more like 2011. Still has a lot of work to do defensively, moreso throwing from back there.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Flowers should be ready to take over for AJ when he leaves after the 2010 season.

Has Williams made any comments on where Flowers is going to start the season? AA looks to be the best bet, but I could see him getting a little time at A+ again before the bump.

Either way, he is a few years away.

Has Lucy recovered from his dislocated knee cap.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)

What happened with Stewart? What I remember about him was that his catch-release to 2nd base was absolutely lights out. He didn't really have a cannon of an arm, but getting rid of the ball was one one of the quickest I saw in a while. The problem was that he couldn't hit worth a dink. Is that still the same scenario with him?

If we signed him again after letting him go before, then they must see something in this guy. Any clues???

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
What happened with Stewart? What I remember about him was that his catch-release to 2nd base was absolutely lights out. He didn't really have a cannon of an arm, but getting rid of the ball was one one of the quickest I saw in a while. The problem was that he couldn't hit worth a dink. Is that still the same scenario with him?

If we signed him again after letting him go before, then they must see something in this guy. Any clues???

Unless something bad happened with him since the Sox traded him a couple of years ago, he should be their backup catcher this year. I thought he should have been AJ's backup a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)

Is Donny Lucy's career over after that bad knee injury? Could they have brought back Stewart to take Lucy's spot on the depth chart?