cabrera wins twibs best defender award

chisox2334

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Everyone who slams OC's fielding, I'll just be real interested to see how bad we still wanted him out of here ...if or when Alexei has struggles acclimating to the position at this level of play.

I had no problem with OC's fielding in general. The problem that most people such as myself had is his fielding was advertised to be superb, and it really wasn't that at all. His arm strength and range were nowhere near what they were in Anaheim, Boston, and Montreal. Either that, or watching him on an everyday basis exposed some things that aren't noticeable when you only see him play a couple times a month plus the postseason in his post-Montreal days.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Everyone who slams OC's fielding, I'll just be real interested to see how bad we still wanted him out of here ...if or when Alexei has struggles acclimating to the position at this level of play.

A team player attitude is very important for sure, but I think Cabrera for all the hits he took was coming around. He is a talented defender and did what was asked of him in the #1 hitting spot, etc. OC is a very good SS and probably deserved this award.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Keep in mind this is the result of fans voting.

I wonder how many phone calls he had to make to win it.

"Uh bueno, this is Orlando...YOUR COUSIN ORLANDO...THE BASEBALL PLAYER! Uh anyways, there's this online vote, see... What do you mean you don't own a computer? Oh, you're making $1 an hour in a Columbian factory? Sucks to be you! HAHA! Anyways, back to why I called..."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Just like my belief to this day that Valentin was a better defender than Royce Clayton. Same type of argument.

Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose...Jose, Jose! I miss those homers to right and his rocket throws!

Oh by the way, Royce Clayton was one of the worst shortstops in whitesox history. He does remind me a lot of cabrera except the fact that Royce could not hit!

.708 and .660=Royce Clayton OPS for the White Sox over two seasons

.705=Orlando Cabrera (and only because of a late charge, he was around .650-.660 for the majority of the season)

In no way, shape or form was he worth $10 million in this economy with Alexei Ramirez basically making $1 million per season behind him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Which is probably why he's been overwhelmed with interest and multiple contract offers of $10 million plus over 2-3 years this offseason?

Well you are making a completely different point than me.

I fully agree he's not in that echelon of pay. I also feel he's a solid defensive player, unlike some people here.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
Who cares...the guy is a prima donna...Im glad he's gone. I rooted for him, but I hated it...I like to root for players I ... ahh, LIKE.

People invented this huge image of Cabrera as negative. Do you know so much about the other players personally that you can vouch for your opinions of them? again, as people.

lol, what is it with some of you guys. Cabrera is a great defensive shorstop and was a good, useful player last season. Now he's going to get us 2 top 100 draft picks.

That's awesome.

He didn't hit very well but what shorstop in the AL could have been had that did?

Uribe has one of the best arms in the game, but he also has limited range, who knows how bad it is now with the weight he's gained. And Uribe isn't any more of threat to hit than Cabrera.

Who cares if the guy pissed some people off, he helped on the field and that's all that mattered in the end. I have a hard time believing playing the way he played that that many people on the team had a problem with him.