Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
Putting Williams at RT was never an intelligent move IMO. I thought putting Pace at RT made more sense.

Yeah and then predictably, he fails, and everyone says Chris Williams is a bust. I have no idea why they had Pace at LT. Pride? Reputation? Ego?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 05:16 AM)
Something tells me he is not going to be interested in being a #2 back. And some team will take him on as their #1 back.

At this point in his career, my guess is he isn't a whole lot different than Forte, to be honest.

Wouldn't it be something to see him go to those Patriots...

I think he knows at this point that he's not gonna be a #1 guy.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
Well looks like Rod Marinelli will be the defensive coordinator for the Bears, pretty lame to promote a guy on a defense that was part of the problem last season but it is what it is.

The Bears have made two things crystal clear in the last few weeks, starting with that joke of a press conference where they pretended to be mad and make massive changes.

1. They don't care about winning or their fans.

2. They think their fans are stupid.

They had that embarrassing little dog and pony show where they brought in a bunch of guys to interview for the OC position, when in reality Mike Martz (who they knew was going to be available as long as they needed him to be since nobody else wanted him) was their choice as soon as Jeremy Bates went to Seattle with Pete Carroll. No idea why they did that, maybe they thought it would appease the fans, but really, it just made them look dumb.

But they topped themselves with the defensive coaching situation. They didn't fire a single defensive coach except DB coach Steven Wilks (who must not have been one of Lovie's friends) despite getting progressively worse 3 years in a row on defense, and falling into the bottom half of the league while being frequently embarrassed in 2009. Today, they hired a 60 year old man who hasn't been a defensive coordinator or the defensive playcaller for a football team since he coached at a high school in the mid 1970's (and there's that whole 0-16 thing two years ago too). And they tried to sneak it under everybody's nose since they knew it was a joke by not only doing it on a Friday afternoon with a press release, which of course is the best time to release crappy news, but also doing it the Friday afternoon before the Super Bowl.

It's pretty clear the Bears don't have a great deal of interest in winning with everything that they have done this offeason, and it's pretty clear they think their fans are stupid. Maybe they are right, because despite the fact this franchise is currently in shambles with a clown car trio at President, GM, and Head Coach (and the owners are just as bad, if not worse). Despite the fact they will miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year in 2010, Soldier Field will still be jam packed every game in 2010. We make fun of Cubs fans for showing up even when the team doesn't care, maybe we as Bears fans deserve the same ridicule. The only difference is we don't have a better choice to root for in football like we do baseball in Chicago.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
The Bears have made two things crystal clear in the last few weeks, starting with that joke of a press conference where they pretended to be mad and make massive changes.

1. They don't care about winning or their fans.

2. They think their fans are stupid.

Well... how can you blame them for that one

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
I can't. As long as the building is still full every game and the tv ratings are through the roof despite heading downhill on the field, they really have no reason to think otherwise.

I'm talking about Bears fans being stupid. I gave up on them about 2 years ago. I'm kind of embarrassed that I have to be associated with a lot of them actually.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm talking about Bears fans being stupid. I gave up on them about 2 years ago. I'm kind of embarrassed that I have to be associated with a lot of them actually.

One of the all around most dumb fan-bases ever to be honest.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)

I can't disagree with this. It's one of the reasons I stopped listening to sports talk radio.

Dent still doesn't get in after like 20 years but Randle does relatively quickly even though they have the same # of sacks for their career (or so says some quick, not-that-deep googling I just did). FFS, who does Dent have to blow to get in?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Dent still doesn't get in after like 20 years but Randle does relatively quickly even though they have the same # of sacks for their career (or so says some quick, not-that-deep googling I just did). FFS, who does Dent have to blow to get in?

Randle is the all time leader in sacks at the DT position, made 7 pro bowls compared to Dent's 4, was 1st team All-Pro 6 times compared to Dent's 2 and also made First Team All Decade for the 90's (voted on by the HoF voters), no such honor for Dent. Basically, Randle is considered a top 2 -- if not the best -- tackle of his generation by the people who vote for the Hall of Fame.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
Randle is the all time leader in sacks at the DT position, made 7 pro bowls compared to Dent's 4, was 1st team All-Pro 6 times compared to Dent's 2 and also made First Team All Decade for the 90's (voted on by the HoF voters), no such honor for Dent. Basically, Randle is considered a top 2 -- if not the best -- tackle of his generation by the people who vote for the Hall of Fame.

I don't know why I was thinking Randle was a DE when I wrote that. Same thing though, obviously Randle was going to get in, I never had any doubt about that. But really though how long are they going to make Dent wait?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
I don't know why I was thinking Randle was a DE when I wrote that. Same thing though, obviously Randle was going to get in, I never had any doubt about that. But really though how long are they going to make Dent wait?

The NFL just doesn't induct enough people per year, given the number of different positions there are.

I'm still waiting on Andre Reed's time. I can understand why this isn't his year, there's another decent WR going in, but that guy is a HOFer.