White Sox sign Freddy Garcia.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
The gang's back together.

Now all we need is Rowand, Everett, and one of the Alomar brothers, and it'll be good ole White Sox baseball all over again!

Let's start a rumor

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what we paid him, but if it is a few hundred K I hate it. We are having the draft and I want the Sox pouring every bit of resource into the draft and than into the July 2nd international signing period (try to find a guy or two).

I'm really tired of bringing back old players. Really, to the point I'd rather have nothing.

Isn't it just sort of pathetic that we let these players go assuming we dont need them, and/or they've lost their talent, yet a few years later are so desperate for help we bring them back?

LOW RISK HIGH REWARD! or something.

Best post in this thread. I agree with you 100 percent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
High horse or reality? Anything this org does is second guessed on this negative site everyday. If the Tigers went out and signed Freddy to a minor league deal, there would be conniptions on this site.

High horse.

Jesus man, what has happened to you recently? It's almost as if I can sense you're burned out from something, whether it be Soxtalk or life in general, just from reading the increasingly aggravated (and sometimes strange, such as the one above) posts. It must be that chat curse. When people leave, they never seem to be the same.

How can you discuss the concept of reality when none but a few would have cared if another team signed him? He was junk when he left the White Sox, he was junk last season pitching against the Sox as a Tiger, and I can't imagine he's any better now. Also, OF COURSE everything the organization does is second guessed. Cmon, when you have an active network of several hundred Sox fans communicating daily you're bound to have some people disagree with a decision for even the dumbest reasons. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

High horse or reality? Anything this org does is second guessed on this negative site everyday. If the Tigers went out and signed Freddy to a minor league deal, there would be conniptions on this site.

completely untrue. if the tigers signed freddy we'd laugh our asses off. at least i would.

sorry your majesty, but we peasants are a little upset at the current direction of this team. Though if your highness would rather we refrained from voicing our opinions, we will gladly oblige.

I got no problem with him going to Arizona to see if he has anything left in the tank. He became a pretty good junk ball pitcher and actually threw a pretty good game against the Sox last year before he lost it. I mean...what's the harm?

I think reaction has a lot more to do with the state of the current roster than it does with the fact that they're taking a flier on Freddy. Fans are looking for improvement and they see this and think WTF??!! Adding fuel to the fire.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

I don't see anything wrong with Rock's posts. He's right. Too many negative people here.

I don't know about "negative" people; I'd say frustrated people.

The way we've played this year is maddening. The fact it's sort of similar to last year I think is driving people insane, myself included.

People are positive when somebody does something positive. Case in point: Richard. Everybody has been very positive because of his good outings, even though he's sucked balls the last two times out.

You noticed this, too?

Anything the Sox do sucks if you listen to the majority of this website -- and heaven forbid they bench Brian "The Savior" Anderson and don't let him play 162 straight games per year -- that's unacceptable, too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
You noticed this, too?

Anything the Sox do sucks if you listen to the majority of this website -- and heaven forbid they bench Brian "The Savior" Anderson and don't let him play 162 straight games per year -- that's unacceptable, too.

I, too, have noticed the barage of negative posts regarding almost every move the Sox make. Granted the signing of Garcia is a yawner and nothing may come of it. But so what? A minor league contract just to give the guy a chance? Who cares? When the Sox signed Pods (to a minor league contract), you'd have thought the world was coming to an end if you read the majority of the posts. Hmmm, looks like that was actually a good signing.

Now I am fully aware that this site is for opinions of the fans, and that everyone has a right to post how they feel about signings, games, how many doughnuts Colon consumed, etc. So, why do some of us feel the need to bash others for expressing their opinions?

Do I think Garcia will be a great signing, and he will contribute a lot to the club? No, but it's a minor league contract. He wasn't signed to take the place of anyone. If he was signed and slated to start tonight, and he went out and got his ass kicked, then we could all say, "What a stupid move."

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
I don't see anything wrong with Rock's posts. He's right. Too many negative people here.

A reason I frequent PHT a lot less.

I agree. It's too early to give up on this team and there is a tendency to be too negative here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and this is as good a place to rant as any. It can just get depressing when so many are saying release this bum, F this team, or this team is dead blow it up. Not my style. Everyone is entitled to theirs and I understand hating to lose and having a passion for winning. I only speak up for Rock.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
I, too, have noticed the barage of negative posts regarding almost every move the Sox make. Granted the signing of Garcia is a yawner and nothing may come of it. But so what? A minor league contract just to give the guy a chance? Who cares? When the Sox signed Pods (to a minor league contract), you'd have thought the world was coming to an end if you read the majority of the posts. Hmmm, looks like that was actually a good signing.

Now I am fully aware that this site is for opinions of the fans, and that everyone has a right to post how they feel about signings, games, how many doughnuts Colon consumed, etc. So, why do some of us feel the need to bash others for expressing their opinions?

Do I think Garcia will be a great signing, and he will contribute a lot to the club? No, but it's a minor league contract. He wasn't signed to take the place of anyone. If he was signed and slated to start tonight, and he went out and got his ass kicked, then we could all say, "What a stupid move."

I sometimes get the feeling around here that people wish Player X (let's use Pods as the example here), would fail miserably, just so they can say, "I told you so!$#@#$!$#", regardless of the affect it has on the team.

I've been around this website for quite a few years -- before the influx of "talent" in 2005 =D, and I have to say that there was a time when criticism was much more constructive around here, compared to now where it doesn't matter what the Sox do, it sucks...and if it turns out to be ok, we get 50 stupid f***ing posts about eating crow.

How about eating s***, instead. :P (This wasn't directed at you, either.)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)

Can't really argue with that point too much.

I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms over this. If he pitches well enough to come up, why is it bad? If he stays in Charlotte because he didn't pitch well enough, why is it bad?

But, but, but...the organization has no clue what they're doing! Why, because we are clearly in trouble and they are trying things out?

Ya, Freddy most likely won't contribute, but who cares? It's not your money. Anyone who says this will get in the way of signing someone else (or drafting player 'X' over player 'Y') is just looking for a reason to get mad at this point.

I know it's cliche, but this really is low, low risk move. It really is barely even worth talking about unless by some miracle his shoulder holds out long enough to put up solid numbers in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)
I sometimes get the feeling around here that people wish Player X (let's use Pods as the example here), would fail miserably, just so they can say, "I told you so!$#@#$!$#", regardless of the affect it has on the team.

I've been around this website for quite a few years -- before the influx of "talent" in 2005 =D, and I have to say that there was a time when criticism was much more constructive around here, compared to now where it doesn't matter what the Sox do, it sucks...and if it turns out to be ok, we get 50 stupid f***ing posts about eating crow.

How about eating s***, instead. :P (This wasn't directed at you, either.)

Hey, at least these posts make for entertaining reading.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Any chance we trade Fields for Gio?

That's probably a very fair trade at this point.

One guy who may be on the block though is Tony Pena of the D'Backs, and I'd give up a lot for him, starting with Fields. The problem is that they have Reynolds over there, who is basically a fully developed (and younger) Josh Fields.