Fire Sale Prediction Thread

BearSox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Maybe we'll see KW offer extensions to someone like Dye at the Sox's price, and if they don't agree to it, they'll trade them. I'd love to see Dye get a 2 yr deal and return as our DH. That way, you can go out and get a RF for next year who bats lefty.

Which LHH RF's are FA's in the off-season FWIW?

I think SP and 2B/CF are probably KW's main priorities in the off-season however.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
Maybe we'll see KW offer extensions to someone like Dye at the Sox's price, and if they don't agree to it, they'll trade them. I'd love to see Dye get a 2 yr deal and return as our DH. That way, you can go out and get a RF for next year who bats lefty.

I would be OK with Dye sticking around as the main DH the next few years, but, even though I'm not a HUGE guy on having to go R L R L in a lineup, they do need to address a LH power hitter, especially playing 81 games in the cell

With Dye you would have some flexability with DH, say Q has some injury bugs, you could stick him at DH for a week and Dye could go to the outfield and work him at 1b in ST to spell PK if he's still here

You know what's scary (and maybe a little exciting)...KW could go into fire sale mode and dump salary and pick up some youth, and this team could still compete in the lousy AL Central. It would be The Kids Can Play Part II. I'm not saying the Sox could take the division, but it would still be interesting. And the team might be more fun to watch with the likes of Beckham, Poreda, J. Danks, etc. taking the field.

In reality, I think many of us would actually calm down and be satisfied with the season if some trades were made AND some good prospects were picked up.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
You know what's scary (and maybe a little exciting)...KW could go into fire sale mode and dump salary and pick up some youth, and this team could still compete in the lousy AL Central. .

That's my line of thinking too. As long as we have a decent pitching core and pen. Our young guys could have a decent chance of competing for a pennant. I'd leave Vicedo down until next year, but i'd only have a few reservations with beginning the major league acclimation process for Danks, Flowers, Allen and Link after the trade deadline.

Ken Williams not ready to tear down White Sox - yet

By Mark Gonzales

Despite losing seven of their past nine games, general manager Ken Williams remains patient with his White Sox team that is currently 5 1/2 games out of first place and five games under .500.

"Hard decisions always have to be made," said Williams, responding to an inquiry on whether he would break up the team if the losing trend continued. "But very clearly, we are in a transitional phase, and if this team shows me at some point they don't pick it up at some point, yeah, I'm going to have do some things that maybe aren't going to be the most popular but in the best interests of the club.

"But those things are a little ways away and we still got time to right the ship and start to play a little better. But if we don't, it is what it is. You got to produce in this game and we got expectations of winning."

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Ken Williams not ready to tear down White Sox - yet

By Mark Gonzales

Despite losing seven of their past nine games, general manager Ken Williams remains patient with his White Sox team that is currently 5 1/2 games out of first place and five games under .500.

"Hard decisions always have to be made," said Williams, responding to an inquiry on whether he would break up the team if the losing trend continued. "But very clearly, we are in a transitional phase, and if this team shows me at some point they don't pick it up at some point, yeah, I'm going to have do some things that maybe aren't going to be the most popular but in the best interests of the club.

"But those things are a little ways away and we still got time to right the ship and start to play a little better. But if we don't, it is what it is. You got to produce in this game and we got expectations of winning."

good to hear, if this continues he'll get max value at the deadline, also he doesn't want to come out and say to other GMs it's Krazy Kenny's Fire Sale.

He'll also have leverage because if he stands pat he's going to get 40m off the books and after arb, somewhere around 30m in payroll flexability

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dye is kept around for a couple more years as a DH

I would. If they need a DH, they'd be more likely to move Paulie to that spot (everyone in the organization loves him), or give a one- or two-year deal to Thome because they want a left-handed bat. Plus, Dye is the only one of the three without a severely-restricting NTC, so he'd be the only one that they'd be able to deal. I love me some JD, but he's most likely the odd man out.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
I would. If they need a DH, they'd be more likely to move Paulie to that spot (everyone in the organization loves him), or give a one- or two-year deal to Thome because they want a left-handed bat. Plus, Dye is the only one of the three without a severely-restricting NTC, so he'd be the only one that they'd be able to deal. I love me some JD, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Well, Thome's contract is done after this year I believe, please someone correct me if I'm wrong and PK has one year. If Thome goes, they do need to get another LH, and I'm not even a huge Lefty/Righty lineup guy, but at least one LH in the middle forces a manager who follows "the book" to make moves.

I'm guessing Thome would be a lot cheaper and put up better numbers (especially OBP wise) but wouldn't play as much as Dye. If the Sox are going to fart around with some prospects perhaps they can stick Fields as the DH against LHP.

Cowley speculates that Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel and even Bobby Jenks could be traded by the deadline. Also, speculated by Joe Cowley? That Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera suck, and AJ can't throw. Sorry, to drop that bombshell on everyone.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Cowley $speculates that Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel and even Bobby Jenks could be traded by the deadline. Also, speculated by Joe Cowley? That Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera suck, and AJ can't throw. Sorry, to drop that bombshell on everyone.

That Cowley is a great journalist... it's not like anyone here has been saying that since even before the season started.

Edited by BearSox

Cowley $speculates that Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel and even Bobby Jenks could be traded by the deadline. Also, speculated by Joe Cowley? That Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera suck, and AJ can't throw. Sorry, to drop that bombshell on everyone.

the Sox have done a good job of identifying veteran pen arms and getting a good season or two out of them, the "power arm" year aside, which was a debacle, so that helps when putting together a team.

I think those guys would have the most value, so makes sense

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Maybe the Sox want to lose 100 games before it's over.

If we are ever leading a game again we need Bobby to close it out. Thornton is not a closer.

How many lefties have been great closers?

Billy Wagner

Brian Fuentes

Randy Myers

Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams

Eddie Guardado

John Rocker

John Franco

B.J. Ryan

That's off the top of my head.

Cowley speculates that Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel and even Bobby Jenks could be traded by the deadline. Also, speculated by Joe Cowley? That Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera suck, and AJ can't throw. Sorry, to drop that bombshell on everyone.

It was more intersting to hear him destroy some myths, like Ozzie has a personal problem with Brian Anderson, or that Ozzie has lost the clubhouse. For the most gossipy type writer in town to take on those make believe things, it is more impressive than any of the regular columnists.

What do you guys think of a packaged centered arround Jenks and Jake Fox

Cubs are prob still going for it. Their bullpen has been terrible and we get our DH of the future. Thome gone after this year.. Dye likely to be traded. Fox has nowhere to play on the cubs.

Jake Fox is most likely a AAAA player. I wouldn't at all make a trade for Jenks without getting at least two upper echelon prospects in return. We have no need to move Jenks and he's paid just fine and is still very young and under our control for a bit longer.

Vitters would have to be part of the trade and there is no way the Cubs deal him. Plus the rest of the Cubs system is pretty piss poor so they aren't a good partner, imo.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
What do you guys think of a packaged centered arround Jenks and Jake Fox

Cubs are prob still going for it. Their bullpen has been terrible and we get our DH of the future. Thome gone after this year.. Dye likely to be traded. Fox has nowhere to play on the cubs.

no, Jake Fox is above 25, and probably a AAAA player. If he could hit MLB pitching well, the Cubs would have found a place for him

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
no, Jake Fox is above 25, and probably a AAAA player. If he could hit MLB pitching well, the Cubs would have found a place for him

I thought he was younger and Cubs were only holding him back because he couldn't field. He was raking in AAA this year did aight in his call up.

nevermind though...

Edited by north side chi sox fan