Kazmir possibly to Angels

Princess Dye

Smart move by the Angels. They will likely lose Lackey at seasons end and Kazmir is pretty darn good replacement.

This is a smart move by the Rays as well. They get a lot of salary relief- meaning Carl Crawford isn't going anywhere this winter. But he will likely hit the free agent market after the 2010 season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Insane. What a f***ing great deal. I'm stoked as a secondary Angel fan.

8-7 with a 5.92 era over this year is nothing to really to get excited over. The Rays are getting the better end of this deal by saving money over the next 2 years. Kazmir is having just a little bit better season than Contreras. But Kazmir is 4-1 in his last 6. Im not sure what to make of him.

Lot of money owed to Kazmir, but the Angels lost a ton of contracts last off-season off there books (Krod, Tex, GA, etc) and have Lackey, Vladdy, and Figgins all coming due this year so financially they should be in a pretty darn good position.

Plus they are getting closer and closer to getting Matthews Jr's awful contract off the books.

Torres will probably be a future reliever, especially with his short stature. Sweeney could be a steal for TB if he develops and develops into that power but he's a while away. I'm just shocked that the Rays didn't get more actually. Kazmir might be a classic change of scenery guy. He is proven, though his head is in a Gavin Floyd like crossroads.. but he still has the stuff. All in all, I love this deal for LAA. High risk, high reward potentially.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
8-7 with a 5.92 era over this year is nothing to really to get excited over. The Rays are getting the better end of this deal by saving money over the next 2 years. Kazmir is having just a little bit better season than Contreras. But Kazmir is 4-1 in his last 6. Im not sure what to make of him.

Kazmir was hurt, but since he came back he's pitched much much much more like the old Scott Kazmir. Is he overpaid, sure, but is he still young with a lot of good years left, probably.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Torres will probably be a future reliever, especially with his short stature. Sweeney could be a steal for TB if he develops and develops into that power but he's a while away. I'm just shocked that the Rays didn't get more actually. Kazmir might be a classic change of scenery guy. He is proven, and I love this deal for LAA.

Kazmir, Weaver, Saunders is a pretty nice looking young set of 3 starters. Santana has been all over the place but has stuff (he's just really been hurt by injuries this year). Saunders hasn't been that great either, but he was hurt too.

Angels have done incredibly well given how snake-bit they've been with injuries. Santana/Saunders/Lackey all missing extensive time, plus Vladdy and Torri.

And than on top of that you have the Adenhart tragedy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Kazmir, Weaver, Saunders is a pretty nice looking young set of 3 starters. Santana has been all over the place but has stuff (he's just really been hurt by injuries this year). Saunders hasn't been that great either, but he was hurt too.

Angels have done incredibly well given how snake-bit they've been with injuries. Santana/Saunders/Lackey all missing extensive time, plus Vladdy and Torri.

And than on top of that you have the Adenhart tragedy.

That's why I bust out laughing (I laugh at the Cubs regardless) when their short bus fans and others try to blame their terrible season on injuries. NOBODY has had to deal with more on the injury front (and as you mentioned, the terrible Adenhart tragedy) then the Angels have. They've got a heck of a franchise. I ache for us to get to that level of year-in and year-out consistency to which they've achieved.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
That's why I bust out laughing (I laugh at the Cubs regardless) when their short bus fans and others try to blame their terrible season on injuries. NOBODY has had to deal with more on the injury front (and as you mentioned, the terrible Adenhart tragedy) then the Angels have.

I think the only team that should have a right to b****, and so does their fans is the Mets. I can't even fathom losing what they did and still trying to compete. Just terrible luck.

Then again.. choking down to the wire against the Phillies every year wasn't helping either.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
That's why I bust out laughing (I laugh at the Cubs regardless) when their short bus fans and others try to blame their terrible season on injuries. NOBODY has had to deal with more on the injury front (and as you mentioned, the terrible Adenhart tragedy) then the Angels have. They've got a heck of a franchise. I ache for us to get to that level of year-in and year-out consistency to which they've achieved.

Completely agree.

from mlbtraderumors.com

5:00pm: Topkins tweets that the deal should be finalized within an hour.

4:40pm: Sherman says that no money is changing hands in the deal, so the Angels are absorbing the over $20MM owed to Kazmir over the next two years.

4:33pm: Joel Sherman of The NY Post hears from a source that the deal is done, and Kazmir is "definitely going to the Angels."

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Kazmir is terrible... 5.92 era. He had bad year last year.. probably never recovered from injuries. 20million still owed over 2 years.

His last three starts have been promising.

He was horrible early on in the year due to a leg injury.