Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 08:45 AM)
I can't find it again now, but I saw a headline recently that said something like 90%+ of Peloton buyers still have a subscription a year later. That seems like a really high rate.

I loved SPIN classes. In college I actually went to one at 5AM and was certain I was still drunk and had a great workout.

The problem with them is finding a consistent schedule that works.

The workout really is pretty low impact and can fit for everyone.

With the Peloton you're not really paying for the bike, you're paying for the program. If it was just about cycling, you'd be way better off buying a road bike and rollers. You'll get a much higher quality bike that you can actually ride outside if it fits your fancy.

Also, if you plan on putting any serious miles on it, invest in a decent saddle, especially if you value your ability to get an erection.

I'm finally pulling the trigger on the cord cutting.

I bought an Amazon Fire stick and signed up for the free 7 day trial of Sling TV. Just making sure it comes through clear and smooth, then plan to cancel all TV with Comcast. Between Sling, Netflix, Prime, and probably an HD antenna, that should fulfill the majority of TV watching we do. Probably save up at least $130 a month.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm finally pulling the trigger on the cord cutting.

I bought an Amazon Fire stick and signed up for the free 7 day trial of Sling TV. Just making sure it comes through clear and smooth, then plan to cancel all TV with Comcast. Between Sling, Netflix, Prime, and probably an HD antenna, that should fulfill the majority of TV watching we do. Probably save up at least $130 a month.

So how does Sling TV work? You just cast it to chromecast or firestick onto your TV? Is it something that a smart TV can access without those? I know nothing about Sling. You've peaked my interest.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)
So how does Sling TV work? You just cast it to chromecast or firestick onto your TV? Is it something that a smart TV can access without those? I know nothing about Sling. You've peaked my interest.

Apparently newer model Samsung and LG TVs can access it directly, but I bought my Samsung two years ago and it was too old. So I got the Fire Stick to use on the TV. Chrome cast or Roku work too, I'M sure there are others. Then download the app and it works just like regular cable TV. They have two base packages for $20 or $25 a month, then multiple a la carte packages of channels, like a kids package, comedy, sports, premium channels, etc. You have way more control over which channels you wish to pay for, as opposed to Comcast.

They are missing some channels like CBS so it's not perfect. It is month to month which is great. The sports package with Red Zone is something I don't need now, but I can sign up for it in the fall for 4 months.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:09 PM)
Apparently newer model Samsung and LG TVs can access it directly, but I bought my Samsung two years ago and it was too old. So I got the Fire Stick to use on the TV. Chrome cast or Roku work too, I'M sure there are others. Then download the app and it works just like regular cable TV. They have two base packages for $20 or $25 a month, then multiple a la carte packages of channels, like a kids package, comedy, sports, premium channels, etc. You have way more control over which channels you wish to pay for, as opposed to Comcast.

They are missing some channels like CBS so it's not perfect. It is month to month which is great. The sports package with Red Zone is something I don't need now, but I can sign up for it in the fall for 4 months.

Ah cool, thanks. Do you know others who have used it? Any issues with buffering or general connection issues?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)

I have a slingbox where I can watch my tv remotely, but all aps have killed that. So slingTv is a hub for all of that stuff online. Its a nice alternative. You can get almost anything including sports.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 05:12 PM)
Ah cool, thanks. Do you know others who have used it? Any issues with buffering or general connection issues?

My girlfriend has had Sling since September or so and I have not seen any issues with buffering at her place. The only complaints I have is that the DVR and pause/play live TV function sucks. Like sometimes it won't resume if you pause it, and seeking to a particular spot in the show can be really frustrating. But when the video is actually playing it's really clear and smooth.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)

Sling used to kinda suck a couple of years ago, but it's pretty good now. We started with fire sticks, but I strongly recommend getting the new Fire TV, which is almost as small and is much more powerful. We have 2 firesticks, and just got the Fire TV for our main TV. The difference in speed is remarkable (part of that is the sticks are over a year old). Sling is a downloadable application for the fire tv/stick so you don't have to cast it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:34 PM)
There is also DirecTV Now

Good call. However, looks like their plan starts at $70/month which is much higher than Sling's basic offering. We pretty much watch 5 or 6 channels regularly plus HBO. Looks like I'd pay a lot less for Sling TV.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 08:14 AM)
Good call. However, looks like their plan starts at $70/month which is much higher than Sling's basic offering. We pretty much watch 5 or 6 channels regularly plus HBO. Looks like I'd pay a lot less for Sling TV.

Sqwert,

I just cancelled Sling and switched to DirecTV Now. I signed up for the $35 package and the $5 additional for HBO. I didn’t even realize that that alone would save me $10 versus paying the $15 directly to HBO for HBO NOW. DirecTV Now is sending me an Apple TV 4K unit for free for prepaying for 4 months. Pretty sweet deal.

Once you get accustomed to cutting the cord, you will settle in to what you use and what you don’t, and you’ll actually have the ability to do something about it because you can cancel at any time with most of these plans!

We are now down to DirecTV Now + HBO for $40, Netflix for $10, Amazon Prime for free, YouTube for free, and when baseball starts, I will get the MLB At Bat app for like $90 for the season.

Big time savings.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:40 PM)
Sqwert,

I just cancelled Sling and switched to DirecTV Now. I signed up for the $35 package and the $5 additional for HBO. I didn’t even realize that that alone would save me $10 versus paying the $15 directly to HBO for HBO NOW. DirecTV Now is sending me an Apple TV 4K unit for free for prepaying for 4 months. Pretty sweet deal.

Once you get accustomed to cutting the cord, you will settle in to what you use and what you don’t, and you’ll actually have the ability to do something about it because you can cancel at any time with most of these plans!

We are now down to DirecTV Now + HBO for $40, Netflix for $10, Amazon Prime for free, YouTube for free, and when baseball starts, I will get the MLB At Bat app for like $90 for the season.

Big time savings.

Good to know. :cheers

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:43 PM)
Our Comcast contract is up in a few days and I was eyeing DirecTV Now. Seemed like a better selection than Sling for only a little bit more. Glad to hear that you like it. We'll probably start our free trial of it soon.

The only reason I got sling is because they had the NFL Networkl and NFL RedZone, which DirecTV Now did not.

DirecTV Now actually has more of what we watch otherwise. The quality of the streaming seems to be better too.