Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romney signs anti-gay marriage pledge

Romney, Bachmann, and Santorum signed on to supporting a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage, to appoint federal judges who don't see a Constitutional right to same-sex marriage, and to back the Defense of Marriage Act.

They've also pledged to support offering a referendum on marriage in the District of Columbia, and to establish a "presidential commission on religious liberty" aimed at protecting the rights of marriage foes to speak out.

I finally saw a clip of this guy on the news this morning, as he is apparently ready to declare this weekend. In the brief soundbite they showed, he really sounded like and reminded me of a young W (not just the Texas drawl, but his rhythm, cadence and prose). I understand that he is currently one of the GOP favorites, but I can't see those similarities being the greatest of assets in a general election.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
I finally saw a clip of this guy on the news this morning, as he is apparently ready to declare this weekend. In the brief soundbite they showed, he really sounded like and reminded me of a young W (not just the Texas drawl, but his rhythm, cadence and prose). I understand that he is currently one of the GOP favorites, but I can't see those similarities being the greatest of assets in a general election.

When there's an incumbent, I don't really think that the general election is about the opponent as much as it is about the incumbent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
When there's an incumbent, I don't really think that the general election is about the opponent as much as it is about the incumbent.

I get your point, but its more than just a parliamentary-like referendum on the incumbent, and for many still ultimately comes down to can X do a better job in the future than Y is doing now. This general is once again going to be dominated by the economy, where many feel that O has failed to fix (or worsened) an economic mess that he inherited from W. It can't be that great a thing for Perry to remind people of or come across as W 2.0, who many still blame for creating this mess in the first place. Its got to be a bit of a handicap in selling folks on a positive future if you vividly remind them of a negative past.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
I get your point, but its more than just a parliamentary-like referendum on the incumbent, and for many still ultimately comes down to can X do a better job in the future than Y is doing now. This general is once again going to be dominated by the economy, where many feel that O has failed to fix (or worsened) an economic mess that he inherited from W. It can't be that great a thing for Perry to remind people of or come across as W 2.0, who many still blame for creating this mess in the first place. Its got to be a bit of a handicap in selling folks on a positive future if you vividly remind them of a negative past.

Perry can just repeat his mantra about how Texas created more jobs than any other state, regardless of whether they're all minimum wage or stimulus funded, and no one will call him on it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
That is, by far, the most overdramatic thing I've ever read on CNN. I bet the author was one of those guys who said he'd move to Canada if Bush was re-elected in 2004.

You do realize that CNN.com carries some opinion writers, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
You do realize that CNN.com carries some opinion writers, right?

They do?

Are you implying that his concluding statement that the inevitable Perry-Palin 2012 victory would spell the death of the Republic wasn't written with tongue-in-cheek?

It was on the Internet, so I just assumed it was a fact, and that the writer was descended from Nostradamus.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
They do?

Are you implying that his concluding statement that the inevitable Perry-Palin 2012 victory would spell the death of the Republic wasn't written with tongue-in-cheek?

It was on the Internet, so I just assumed it was a fact, and that the writer was descended from Nostradamus.

You seemed remarkably stunned that CNN would host the rantings of some crazed internet writer.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
You seemed remarkably stunned that CNN would host the rantings of some crazed internet writer.

I'd hardly call the guys response "remarkably stunned". More like SMH.

The most awkward moment of the debate came when Bachmann was asked about her past comment that wives should be submissive to their husbands. Asked moderator Byron York: "As president, would you be submissive to your husband?"

Bachmann paused for a few moments before quipping, "thank you for that question, Byron." She then went on to offer up something of a non-answer.

"Marcus and I will be married for 33 years this September 10th. I'm in love with him. I'm so proud of him," she said. "And both he and I -- what submission means to us, if that's what your question is, it means respect. I respect my husband. He's a wonderful, godly man, and a great father. And he respects me as his wife. That's how we operate our marriage. We respect each other. We love each other.

context for the question:

n a speech at a mega-church in the Minneapolis area back in 2006, Michele Bachmann explained her decision to pursue tax law. It wasn't her choice, exactly. God had already told her to go to law school; God had also told her to marry a fellow named Marcus Bachmann. Now Marcus told her "to go and get a post-doctorate degree in tax law." This was not a particular desire of Michele's ("Tax law? I hate taxes!"), but she was certain God was speaking through her husband.

"Why should I go and do something like that?" she recalled thinking. "But the Lord says, 'Be submissive wives; you are to be submissive to your husbands.' "

So by submit she means do as her husband says, even though she doesn't want to. In other words, respect.

Klein on the GOP debate:

The most telling moment of Thursday’s GOP debate wasn’t when Michele Bachmann cooly stuck a knife between Tim Pawlenty’s ribs, or when Rick Santorum plaintively begged for more airtime, or when Mitt Romney easily slipped past questions about his record on health-care reform. It was when every single GOP candidate on the stage agreed that they would reject a budget deal that was $10 in spending cuts for every $1 in tax increases. Even Fox News’s Bret Baier couldn’t quite believe what he was seeing. He asked again just to make sure the assembled candidates had understood the question.

Fallows on Bachmann:

Michelle Bachmann, even when given a second chance, seemed genuinely to believe that the federal debt ceiling applied to future spending, not bills and tax cuts the Congress had already voted to enact. Not sure which is worse: that she knows better and decided this was an applause line to push, or she really doesn't know the first thing about the Congressional budgeting process. I bet most Americans also think that holding down the debt ceiling is a forward-looking budgetary step -- ie, that it's like resolving to spend less next month. But they're still wrong. The real comparison is resolving not to pay a credit card bill when it shows up. For a national candidate not to understand this??? Seriously, this is like discovering that your doctor thinks that your trachea is attached to your spleen.

Bachmann on incoherent rambling:

I would say governor, when you were governor in Minnesota you implemented cap and trade in our state and you praised the unconstitutional individual mandates and called for requiring all people in our state to purchase health insurance that the government would mandate. Third, you said the era of small government was over. That sounds more like Barack Obama, if you ask me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)

I apologize for the sarcastic post. I incorrectly thought your comment pointing out opinion on CNN was directed at me. But I, too, don't think anyone sounded "remarkably stunned." The hyperbole in that article was pretty over the top.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/08/did_h..._he_was_qu.html

One of the weirdest moments of last night's Republican debate probably slipped completely under the radar for most viewers. This moment occurred in Herman Cain's closing statement, when the former pizza-chain CEO recited a favorite inspirational quote:

"A poet once said, 'life can be a challenge, life can seem impossible, but it's never easy when there's so much on the line.'"

Nothing strange about that on the surface, until you Google the quote and you realize that these words of wisdom were uttered not by a poet, but by disco queen Donna Summer in her song "The Power of One." Even more bizarre, this isn't even one of Summer's classic hits — she recorded it just over a decade ago as the theme song for Pokémon: The Movie 2000.