4/16 GT: Sox @ Indians, Buehrle v. Talbot

AJ, Pierre, and Alexei are basically the worst at their positions so far this year. Tough to overcome at least a third of the lineup being totally useless on any given night. But then plugging Kotsay at DH overcomes all the other obstacles offensively. :unsure:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
No kidding, Pierre's basically useless without his speed. Probably the worst everyday starter in baseball if he can't be an extremely above-average runner.

But, but he's a lifetime .300 hitter!

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
AJ, Pierre, and Alexei are basically the worst at their positions so far this year. Tough to overcome at least a third of the lineup being totally useless on any given night. But then plugging Kotsay at DH overcomes all the other obstacles offensively. :unsure:

Teahen has to be among the worst as well. Way to chase ball 4 Kotsay!

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Anybody know what percentage of our runs have been scored off of home runs?

Doing it manually....

Opening day - 6 runs - 3 from HR

4/7 - 3 runs - 2 from HR

4/8 - 3 runs - 2 from HR

4/9 - 3 runs - 0 from HR

4/10 - 1 run - 0 from HR

4/11 - 5 runs - 4 from HR

4/12 - 8 runs - 4 from HR

4/13 - 2 runs - 2 from HR

4/14 - 11 runs - 5 from HR

4/15 - 3 runs - 3 from HR

4/16 - 1 run - 1 from HR

Total - 46 runs - 26 from HR

=

56.5% of our runs are from HR.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Screw that...with how certain players look, you hold off in case we just fall apart and then unload guys. Getting Gonzalez won't make up for AJP, Alexei, Pierre, etc.

agreed...i think we will be sellers this year....im just not sure anyone we would sell off has any real value

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
How absurd.

Absurd how? If you think this team is one bat away from being a WS contender, then you have a lot more confidence in Pierre gaining his speed and AJP not showing the typical wear and tear of catchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Screw that...with how certain players look, you hold off in case we just fall apart and then unload guys. Getting Gonzalez won't make up for AJP, Alexei, Pierre, etc.

i doubt those 3 r going to keeps batting in the .100's and very low .200's. its like we talked about yesterday, the sox just dont seem to have a sense of urgency at all. meaning i know they want to win badly but it just doesnt look like theyre giving their full effort

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
i doubt those 3 r going to keeps batting in the .100's and very low .200's. its like we talked about yesterday, the sox just dont seem to have a sense of urgency at all. meaning i know they want to win badly but it just doesnt look like theyre giving their full effort

None of that matters if we are 10 GB at the end of April.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
Why is that absurd? I think Gonzalez is good, but he's not going to make up for a lineup of below average hitters.

And considering the holes this team has and how awful the farm system is, good luck giving Gonzalez 8 years, 180 million dollars and having any talent around him.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
Talbot is going to get into the "8-12 pitch innings" mode now, god I hate this team sometimes.

It's so boring, as it's happened like 5 teams now already this season. It's such a self-fulfilling prophecy with the Sox lately.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)

its only been like 10 games lol

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Absurd how? If you think this team is one bat away from being a WS contender, then you have a lot more confidence in Pierre gaining his speed and AJP not showing the typical wear and tear of catchers.

It's absurd you can be so pessimistic this early in the season . Most of the time you don't even sound like a Sox fan.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
Doing it manually....

Opening day - 6 runs - 3 from HR

4/7 - 3 runs - 2 from HR

4/8 - 3 runs - 2 from HR

4/9 - 3 runs - 0 from HR

4/10 - 1 run - 0 from HR

4/11 - 5 runs - 4 from HR

4/12 - 8 runs - 4 from HR

4/13 - 2 runs - 2 from HR

4/14 - 11 runs - 5 from HR

4/15 - 3 runs - 3 from HR

4/16 - 1 run - 1 from HR

Total - 56 runs - 26 from HR

=

46% of our runs are from HR.

Thanks. Thought it would be a bit higher, actually. It just seems like we only score via the home run.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
It's absurd you can be so pessimistic this early in the season . Most of the time you don't even sound like a Sox fan.

I don't think most of the pessimism comes from the start. It comes from an offseason of terrible moves. Oh, and 2 moves at midseason last year that have not gotten off to a good start.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)

I would have said the same thing before this season. This lineup just can't contend in the American League. For some dumb ass reason, Ozzie thought he was smarter than every other front office in the AL. The Sox rarely very have players just come out of nowhere and have big offensive seasons. There were so many "we'll have a good offense IF" coming into the season.

Thats the averages on this lineup this season after tonights 5 innings.

I'm sorry...there is absolutely NO excuse for this garbage product, every f***ing year in April, from this team, regardless of who is in the lineup.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)

Thats the averages on this lineup this season after tonights 5 innings.

I'm sorry...there is absolutely NO excuse for this garbage product, every f***ing year in April, from this team, regardless of who is in the lineup.

and we always slump the last month or two of the season offensively

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
Thanks. Thought it would be a bit higher, actually. It just seems like we only score via the home run.

Thats because his math is off, its 46 runs according to his total, and 26 from the homerun, which equals 56.5 percent